Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2021, 10:06 AM

Default Input Monitoring Not Working

Hey there ProTools community. I'm new to the forums, and this is my last ditch effort to try and resolve this perplexing roadblock I've hit. I've had a case open with Avid for over 3 weeks now with no response, despite weekly state checks on case progress. At this point I've lost hope that Avid will ever actually respond to the case, and am hoping someone from the community may have been down this path before and have some advice. For some background, I've been a ProTools user for 16 years now, and a Systems Engineer for 20 years, so I'm fairly familiar with the application and technical troubleshooting in general.

This is the behavior that I am seeing. When I arm the tracks, I see levels bouncing on the meter as expected. When I record, I can play back the capture no issue. However when I enable Input Monitoring on the track, the signal does not pass through. The moment I click the monitoring button, I hear the signal for a fraction of a second, then it goes silent. Repeatedly tapping it shows a stable signal source, but for some reason it will not pass through the signal for any longer than a fraction of a second. The interface shows that Input Monitoring is enabled, however the signal simply does not pass through consistently.

This feature worked without issue for years. Then maybe a years time went by where I only captured live band practices, rather than trying to record and overlay, thus did not use the feature during that time. Now I am in a situation where the feature no longer functions. I'm attributing the behavior change to some sort of software update during that time, but being the extent of time that went by without using the feature, I'm not sure exactly what to pinpoint it to. Windows 10 is patched to current levels, ProTools is updated to current levels, and the Tascam US 16x08 firmware, application, and ASIO drives are all up to date.

This is a barebones functionality for being able to effectively record in any sort of multitracking overdub environment. The fact that my players cannot hear themselves while recording, and we have to rely on separate external amplification sources for monitoring is proving to be quite the drag on the entire recording process. Any sort of assistance that can be provided by the community would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

/jgb
Old 02-08-2021, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Input Monitoring Not Working

Shooting from the hip, I bet it has something to do with the software for the Tascam. When I switched to my current Presonus Studio 1810c(from a DIGO003), it took some fussing with the Presonus software before signals worked the way I wanted(and expected). Maybe search youtube and see if there are any videos showing how to set that interface to work with PT. I would also try to get some support from Tascam(I don't think this is a Pro Tools problem)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave