Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2019, 01:59 PM

Default Re: 2018 MacMini experiment on ProTools HDX

So I did a full install on my colleague's 2018 Mini for his new studio build. PT HD 12.8.3 (that's as far as his licence goes), 10.14.2, 32GB RAM, 256GB Storage (with a 1TB Samsung TB3 SSD externally). HDX card in a Sonnet Echo Express III-D.

Everything with the computer has been pretty much seamless, once I got to grips with all of the new security requirements in Mojave. We're running a Focusrite Red 16Line hooked up to HDX and also TB3 (for the control software). I did an 8 hour session last week with no issues at all. We've also now installed UAD (With a Quad card in the Echo Express). I'm very happy with results so far.

In fact, the only slight fly in the ointment is that sometimes when we start up, PT tells us that the fan on the HDX card is working. Looking around these parts and elsewhere, it seems that this can happen when the chassis and card are still a bit too cold - his studio is currently about 10 degrees before he turns the heating on. Anyone else seen this in this configuration?

I'd definitely say that 2018 Mini is a good buy for Pro Tools. If you're going to upgrade anything, make it the RAM. The premium for storage upgrades is scandalous. The RAM slightly less so. You can get it upgraded at an authorised repairer, but no idea if they'll install non-Apple approved RAM so savings may be marginal or non-existent.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:52 PM

Hi all,

I am wondering what hardware you have attached to your HDX cards that is giving you all solid and reliable performance.

I'm looking at a full rebuild and have 3x Auroras 16's but considering moving on.

Thanks.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Armoury View Post
Hi all,

I am wondering what hardware you have attached to your HDX cards that is giving you all solid and reliable performance.

I'm looking at a full rebuild and have 3x Auroras 16's but considering moving on.

Thanks.
Are you asking about host computers or the DigiLink interfaces?

I am not sure there are folks really seeing interface related issues with HDX or HDN.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Are you asking about host computers or the DigiLink interfaces?

I am not sure there are folks really seeing interface related issues with HDX or HDN.
What audio interfaces are connected. This would indicate they are stable on this mac, OS & PT build.

Thanks.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
What audio interfaces are connected. This would indicate they are stable on this mac, OS & PT build.

Thanks.
I don’t think you understand what Darryl is saying. There have never been issues with a DigiLink Mini connected device to HDX. MacOS and Pt build doesn’t matter.

Have you used HDX before? This isn’t like CoreAudio
Old 05-26-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
I don’t think you understand what Darryl is saying. There have never been issues with a DigiLink Mini connected device to HDX. MacOS and Pt build doesn’t matter.

Have you used HDX before? This isn’t like CoreAudio
I don't mention a DigiLink Mini anywhere...??

Yes I have used HDX for about 4yrs and HD for 10 before that.

What I am asking is:

If you have build a Mac Mini rig with the specs as the OP has stated (and it is stable) like the OP's could you please post what i/o box you have connected to the HDX card. Is it a AVID HD, Lynx Aurora (n) etc etc.

I have found that has OSX & PT have progressed my rig has become more unstable. So I am interested in what interfaces stable users are using as that is also part of the 'stable' equation.

Apologies if this wasn't explained clear enough.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
I don't mention a DigiLink Mini anywhere...??

Yes I have used HDX for about 4yrs and HD for 10 before that.

What I am asking is:

If you have build a Mac Mini rig with the specs as the OP has stated (and it is stable) like the OP's could you please post what i/o box you have connected to the HDX card. Is it a AVID HD, Lynx Aurora (n) etc etc.
But, but, what the interface is... Omni, HD IO, 192 IO, MTRX, Aurora, etc. **should not matter** to the first order. If you think it does that seems a specific detailed question quite different than this thread, which is why your question still seems strange.

Just a suggestion, but I think you would get better help here by providing information about what exact issues you are seeing and ask specifically if people see them with their HDX rig (and what config they use... and are you running HDX1, 2, 3? etc. is likely relevant). If you put that in a separate thread with a related title that will probably get more responses.

Quote:
I have found that has OSX & PT have progressed my rig has become more unstable. So I am interested in what interfaces stable users are using as that is also part of the 'stable' equation.
And there are many factors that can cause Pro Tools problems, not that we even know what you mean by "unstable", but I would put stuff to do with the actual type of DigiLink interface well down the list of typical issues people run into (e.g. most AAE- errors, ASSERTs and silent crashes). The actual DigiLink interfaces/communications to the interfaces is as simple/dumb as a rock, different say than USB or Firewire drivers, which is why I'm lost here. I would worry about interfaces if I was having problem like the interface box dropping off the DigiLink, not talking to its config/hardware panel, not communication to Pro Tools at all, etc.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
But, but, what the interface is... Omni, HD IO, 192 IO, MTRX, Aurora, etc. **should not matter** to the first order. If you think it does that seems a specific detailed question quite different than this thread, which is why your question still seems strange.

Just a suggestion, but I think you would get better help here by providing information about what exact issues you are seeing and ask specifically if people see them with their HDX rig (and what config they use... and are you running HDX1, 2, 3? etc. is likely relevant). If you put that in a separate thread with a related title that will probably get more responses.

And there are many factors that can cause Pro Tools problems, not that we even know what you mean by "unstable", but I would put stuff to do with the actual type of DigiLink interface well down the list of typical issues people run into (e.g. most AAE- errors, ASSERTs and silent crashes). I would worry about interfaces if I was having problem like the interface box dropping off the DigiLink, not talking to its config/hardware panel, not communication to Pro Tools at all, etc.
@Darryl - thanks for your responses and help.

I'm not after support for this issue

It does 100% effect stability.

I have got my issue down to the hardware. Which is why I'm am asking this question.

In my cause unless I have a digidesign product connected to my HDX card, I crash when changing sample rate 100% of the time. I can do prove it on a dime. I have only compared to my current i/o not multiple brands. And yes I have tried a new OS build with just PT installed on 10.10 10.11. & 10.12 and PT12, PT2019.5. I don't want to divert this thread I was just after some hardware posts and wondered in my hardware was in the list and I didn't want to post that is was creating an issue.

Just looking at a new build and the build specs and how stable everyone is boasting here had me wondering....
Old 05-26-2019, 11:08 PM

I doubt you are going to make any progress without getting more specific. You are starting to get there with this specific sample rate change, but that helps prove my point--that is very different than what other users here are likely to to think you meant with HDX or Pro Tools "unstable" issues.

You are unlikely to make progress here how you are going about this, people here are not going to send their time responding to a "survey" you ask about stuff. If you want help from other users, describe your problem, get very specific and ask if users with an Aurora on DigiLink see the same issue, and if they did how was it solved.

I also would not assume this is tied this to HDX, it is more likely to be see in HD Native as well. Again the DigiLink protocol is a dumb a a rock, and the interface box does not know it's talking to a HDX card.

You will get more useful comments if you describe how Pro Tools crashes with what exact error/symptoms. What version of Pro Tools? etc. Specific sample rates or changing between any?

Google DUC and the internet for that error/symptoms. make sure it's not say like this http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=37737, or this http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=306303, or ...

The best way to search DUC is to add a site:duc.avid.com tag to Google search (the on-site search here sucks) and then try double quoting key words like "Aurora" (to make them required in the search results) and try double quoting keywords from any crash error message.

If you don't find an answer from searching, you *will* get more help here if you start a new thread with the error/problem description *in the title*--most folks where just skim thread titles. Read "Help us Help You" up the top the web page to get more info about what is expected here.

And again this seems nothing to do with this thread, and it's preferred here if people start new threads for their own issues.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-26-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
I doubt you are going to make any progress without getting more specific. You are starting to get there with this specific sample rate change, but that helps prove my point--that is very different than what other users here are likely to to think you meant with HDX or Pro Tools "unstable" issues.

You are unlikely to make progress here how you are going about this, people here are not going to send their time responding to a "survey" you ask about stuff. If you want help from other users, describe your problem, get very specific and ask if users with an Aurora on DigiLink see the same issue, and if they did how was it solved.

I also would not assume this is tied this to HDX, it is more likely to be see in HD Native as well. Again the DigiLink protocol is a dumb a a rock, and the interface box does not know it's talking to a HDX card.

You will get more useful comments if you describe how Pro Tools crashes with what exact error/symptoms. What version of Pro Tools? etc. Specific sample rates or changing between any?

Google DUC and the internet for that error/symptoms. make sure it's not say like this http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=37737, or this http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=306303, or ...

The best way to search DUC is to add a site:duc.avid.com tag to Google search (the on-site search here sucks) and then try double quoting key words like "Aurora" (to make them required in the search results) and try double quoting keywords from any crash error message.

If you don't find an answer from searching, you *will* get more help here if you start a new thread with the error/problem description *in the title*--most folks where just skim thread titles. Read "Help us Help You" up the top the web page to get more info about what is expected here.

And again this seems nothing to do with this thread, and it's preferred here if people start new threads for their own issues.
WOW.

I am sorry I asked. And I'll leave it there. But duly noted that this forum can be brutal and some members can be very condescending.

P.S I have already said I am not asking for help on my issue, never did. You keep assuming that and responding as such.