Old 03-21-2014, 05:39 AM

Default Protools newb cant get audio to play or record

Hardware Info
Windows 8
Core i5-3330
Exact Model Inspiron 660-6987BK
Protools 11
Scarlette 2i2

A friend just bought all this and he's a computer illiterate %^&* so I was trying to help him out but I no little about protools.

Here's what we are experiencing

I started by creating a blank project and then created a new mono audio track. Then I picked the interface as the input and input 1. And not 100% sure what output to pick so I left it on the default. We where getting levels on the track when he played but when I armed the track and hit record then play up at the top the blue stop but lit for a second and nothing appeared to record on the track.

2nd issue is before I got there he found away to record something previously before he went crazy and uninstalled protools and then reinstalled. I opened that track and hit play and it doesnt play or appear to move down the track on the screen like it was even trying.

I have Turned off Dynamic processing after doing some reading but that didnt seem to make a difference. I played with the I/O setting "cant remember exactly what I did" but I did get audio out of the computer but it was delayed. I can get good audio out of the interface output.

What's causing all the issues?

On the second installed he did he said he hadn't loaded disk 2 but that was just the effects is that correct?

Does he need a secondary hard drive for recording? Like they say here http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=349630
Old 03-21-2014, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Protools newb cant get audio to play or record

Scarlette 2i2 Driver installed?
Old 03-22-2014, 10:13 AM

Oh yeah defiantly installed the driver first thing I checked when I got to his house. When I get back over ill take a desktop video to show the exact issue.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:22 AM

It's was something weird that screws up the i/o. We reformatted and started from scratch and got it all working.

We can reproduce the problem by trying to import a protools 10 session for a older laptop that used ASIO4All. All the hardware, i/o setting etc become grayed out and then it throws a error saying the scarlette usb has failed.

We are using the superior drummer plugin on the track but nothing seems to get imported.