Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2003, 02:23 PM

Default Recording a combi to PT

I am new to the world of synth and software recording and would like some feedback on this question. I have set up a combination song using my keyboard. How do I record this to Protools Do i record each program separately or do i record the combi as one. I use to record each program separately but I was told otherwise.

Thanks in advance [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2003, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Recording a combi to PT

By your use of terms,,COMBI and PROGRAM,,i'm making a wild guess that you are using a KORG,,maybe a TRITON,,or at the very least that you are using a hardware work station type synth with an onboard sequencer,,most of these are made with multiple outs,,my triton has six,so depending on how many tracks your "COMBI" has,and wether or not you want to record them as stereo or mono tracks,will dictate how many passes you will have to make to get your tracks into PT.
To do this as one stereo track at a time,,set PT to transmit MIDI CLOCK and set your Keyboard to recieve midi time code,,set up one stereo track in PT and assign it's inputs to the out puts of your KB.Mute all of the tracks that you don't want to record from your "COMBI",hit record in PT and record the first pass,,now just repeat the whole prosess untill you have recorded all of your tracks,,
I do this quite a lot as i use my TRITON the same way a lot of cats use an MPC and i'll often build a drum loop up accross several tracks in side the sequencer,,then send them out to PT as seperat tracks,,KICK,,SNARE ect,,
One problem you will face is Latency,,I dont have any real issues with this as i rarly exceed the SIX out limmit of my TRITON,,but if you do a search of this forum and the MAC le forum you will find a heap of info about how to edit it out,,,
Hope this helps,,
Old 06-10-2003, 04:13 PM

Hello,
Thanks for your reply.
Yes you guessed right I have the Korg Karma I have been putting mine in similarly mostly mono tracks for everything except drums. but I usually have a hard time getting them on protools because of the way how the timbres are set to pass through each module; having tracks that overlap each other in order to get that layered sounds. Sometimes as many as eight programs could make up a combi. Protools usually end up causing the Karma to Default those overlapping tracks. Thus if track 1, 2, and 6 overlap for eg when i am trying to record track 1 for Eg track 1, 2, and 6 will default to the same programs. when this happens I usually have a tough time getting a "desirable" sound recorded on PT. I mean I could see if track 1,2&6 make up a nice combi sound but the sound that goes into protools then Su.....

Thanks again [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
soliloquay
Old 06-11-2003, 07:51 AM

I'm confused. You have a device that generates multiple sounds. You have a device that records multiple tracks. If you put each individual sound onto an individual track (possibly in multiple passes), it would seem to me that eventually you will have all of the sounds coming out of the Korg on your ProTools session. In theory, this would sound the same as the audio coming out of your Korg.

Is there something wrong with my math?
Old 06-11-2003, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I'm confused. You have a device that generates multiple sounds. You have a device that records multiple tracks. If you put each individual sound onto an individual track (possibly in multiple passes), it would seem to me that eventually you will have all of the sounds coming out of the Korg on your ProTools session. In theory, this would sound the same as the audio coming out of your Korg.

Is there something wrong with my math?

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I dont think the math sarcasm comment was necessary since you dont own a KARMA keyboard and dont know how they work. Only someone who has a Karma Keyboard would know what I am talking about. Your comment didn't even mention if you are familiar with any Korg Keyboards ????? Not all the keyboards made by Korg operate the same way. So i can just imagine how similar but different the others are.

[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2003, 04:00 PM

If you made yourself more clear(get your words right)you would not be getting these responces. Any sarcasm was well deserved.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:59 PM

It sounds to me that what you are trying to explain is that the PROGRAMS,,ie instrument sounds,,you are using to make up your combi are all being changed to the same program across all of your tracks,,if i'm right then what i would do is use the COPY COMBI TO SEQUENCE feature inside the KARMA OS,,now i'm assuming you can do this,,i am not familier with the KARMA but i do own a TRITON,,this will put the whole combi into the sequencer section of the KARMA across several tracks
,,now go into PT and uncheck the TRANSMIT PROGRAM AND BANK NOMBER,,or you could do this inside the KARMA were it will be RECIEVE PROG/BANK NOMBER,,
one other thing,if you are running your combi through the FX section of your KARMA you will loose a lot of how they sound recording to a MONO track in PT,,so keep all of you tracks as STEREO tracks in pt,,
As for the other responses to this post,,well they kind-a-sorta have a point,,what you need to do is have a clear way of describing what it is you want to achieve,,okay there,,but also list the tools you are using and also use the terms assosiated with thoughs tools when you are trying to explain the senerio that you want to achieve,,
well any way,,have fun,,make music,,
Old 06-12-2003, 08:16 PM

Quote:
It sounds to me that what you are trying to explain is that the PROGRAMS,,ie instrument sounds,,you are using to make up your combi are all being changed to the same program across all of your tracks,,if i'm right then what i would do is use the COPY COMBI TO SEQUENCE feature inside the KARMA OS,,now i'm assuming you can do this,,i am not familier with the KARMA but i do own a TRITON,,this will put the whole combi into the sequencer section of the KARMA across several tracks
,,now go into PT and uncheck the TRANSMIT PROGRAM AND BANK NOMBER,,or you could do this inside the KARMA were it will be RECIEVE PROG/BANK NOMBER,,
one other thing,if you are running your combi through the FX section of your KARMA you will loose a lot of how they sound recording to a MONO track in PT,,so keep all of you tracks as STEREO tracks in pt,,
As for the other responses to this post,,well they kind-a-sorta have a point,,what you need to do is have a clear way of describing what it is you want to achieve,,okay there,,but also list the tools you are using and also use the terms assosiated with thoughs tools when you are trying to explain the senerio that you want to achieve,,
well any way,,have fun,,make music,,
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hello
you are very kind to try to help but unless you have a KARMA You cant understand. I have recorded my own combis from scratch and use them in protools with no problems. Using the exact same I/O set ups that the Preset combis use. It is only when I COPY A PRESET COMBI TO SEQUENCER THAT I HAVE PROBLEM. Incidentally Karma Vs Triton Two different Keyboards ask around.
Thanks
Old 06-12-2003, 08:25 PM

Quote:
If you made yourself more clear(get your words right)you would not be getting these responces. Any sarcasm was well deserved.

--------------------
jeff
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hello,
Only a Sissy would get so rude for no reason at all. "What up"? you got two Email adresses "Miss Lady" [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2003, 07:38 AM

Ahh now I understand. Apparently you ignored my first sentence completely. There was nothing wrong with my math. I just didn't have a clear understanding of the problem. Nor do I care any more.