Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2013, 09:35 AM

Default Interleaved Import Broken?

I am trying to maintain compatibility with PT9, and even though I have the "interleaved" button unchecked in the session setup, when I import stereo audio files it is still bringing them in as interleaved.

If I click the "Convert copied files to Session Format" in the processing preferences tab, I then get the option to convert upon import. If this is the case, what's the point of the interleaved button?

Did this perhaps change in 10.3.3? I just recently upgraded to HDX and PT10.. Any help appreciated.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Interleaved Import Broken?

Hey Dwayne, I thought I might take a shot at your question.

The reason that there is an interleaved button in the session setup window is because that tells Pro Tools which format to use for new files or media that it creates (AudioSuite or bus to track type stuff). So for example you can import a 16-bit file into a 24-bit session and it will remain a 16-bit file because that file is not created by the session, it is only imported.

If you want to have files split in to mono (like the old way PT9 and before) you can keep doing what you are doing (which is converting on import and it asks you every time) or you can simply allow Pro Tools to import the file the way it is, and then when you are exporting to PT9 session format, it will force everything to the appropriate format.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:27 AM

Default Re: Interleaved Import Broken?

Thanks for the detailed response, TAPSpace. I can see why they had to program it this way to delineate between freshly recorded material and imported material. I will make sure to leave that option checked in the preferences as I don't want to have to copy audio from these massive sessions every time i need to feed the dub stage. Hopefully the last few PT9 stragglers will upgrade soon!!!

Thanks again.