Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2012, 07:43 AM

Default MacBook Pro MIDI issues & Garageband

Hi all,

This is my first time on here. I recently bought a MacBook Pro for the first time in the interest of recording music.
This is what I have:

Computer:
MacBook Pro: Mac OS X Version 10.7.4
Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Audio Interface:
Pro Tools Mbox Mini
Pro Tools 8.0.4 LE

When I first bought my Mac, Garageband would open and record just fine. However, once I downloaded Pro Tools, Garageband stopped working (the guitar just bounces up and down on the dock and eventually stops responding). I decided to ignore the for now and carry on using Pro Tools, which was working as it should.

Yesterday I decided to plug in my MIDI Keyboard - YAMAHA PSR E403. I downloaded all the relevant drivers, but my Mac could not detect it (after several tries). Pro Tools was also unable to detect it, but I know that the computer must have been aware of it being plugged in, as Pro Tools took longer than usual to load up and stayed stuck on "MIDI" for a little while when it was loading. (I have been plugging the keyboard directly into the MAC, as my Mbox Mini does not have a MIDI interface)

In order to rule out any possibility of a bad cable, I went and plugged my keyboard into my old (Windows) laptop and it recognised it without any trouble.

I therefore decided to uninstall the keyboard driver on my Mac in order to start again. It definitely was the right Midi driver for my mac.

And just to make things even more confusing, I tried loading Garageband up again and after a little while it actually did open up for the first time in ages, but then quickly stopped working when it gave me a repeated message reading "MIDI TIMEOUT etc...".

I am terribly confused and would appreciate any kind of help! Would Pro Tools have interfered with Garageband working correctly and would this have had an impact on how my MAC can read Midi?

Kind regards,

Corinna
Old 10-16-2012, 11:58 AM

Default Re: MacBook Pro MIDI issues & Garageband

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ility/en353149
According to the compatibility grid, I don't believe you can use LE8.x on this new a Mac. It may work with Garageband if you can download and install the latest Mbox driver. Not sure what to do re. midi.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-16-2012, 01:03 PM

Default Re: MacBook Pro MIDI issues & Garageband

Thank you very much for your reply. Thankfully since writing this post a few hours ago I have literally just solved the problem. It was to do with a midi plug-in that came with Protools, but that was not needed.