Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2012, 05:21 PM

Default just joined the club

got in my HDN and 16x16 today. got to get a project finished up before i can take the down time to get it installed, but looking foward into joining in the fun!!! this forum section has been a bit boring so maybe i can get tom and aaron all worked up

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-02-2012, 08:19 PM

Default Re: just joined the club

Welcome to the club!!!

Greg
Old 10-02-2012, 09:13 PM

Thanks, just to save myself the research, i coming from an RME fireface and Lynx Aurora.

on the 16x16, are the digital i/o mirrored from 1-2 or anything silly, or can i assign them however i want. speaking for the spidf and aes specifically. would like to put my eleven rack on the spidf and api a2d on the aes.

debating on selling the lynx and get an omni. could use the 2 pre's on there since selling the FF800 and all my other pre's are colored, and i use a central station for monitoring, or getting the LTHD card for the lynx since it has had a firmware update and compatible with the new HD series.....hhhmmmm ....to many decisions!!!

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-03-2012, 08:13 AM

As for your first question, the answer is yes and no. The digital I/O can be assigned independently, but the problem is that it's either/or. You can have the AES, or the Spidf, but not both at one time. They basically both fall under "Digital I/O" and you would choose which one you're using in the hardware preferences.

Also, keep in mind that the 16x16 is a max of, well, 16in, 16 out. You can use any combination of 16, whether digital or analog. So you could use 8 analog, 8 channels adat. Or 12 channels analog, 2 channels Spidf, and 2 channels Adat, etc. That would be for the ins, and the same thing applies to the outs.

But again, it's either Spidf or AES.

As for the other question, I think you'll do better to sell the Lynx and the Central Station, and get the Omni. That will give you all the monitoring capabilities, more I/O of the same high quality conversion as the HD IO (both sound better than the Lynx), plus the preamps, which are actually quite good (so are the DI's).

Plus, adding the Omni, you help with your Spidf/AES problem, by having another set of them (though the same issue still applies: either/or. But you could use the Spidf on the Omni, and the AES on the HD IO, or vice versa).
Old 10-03-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
As for your first question, the answer is yes and no. The digital I/O can be assigned independently, but the problem is that it's either/or. You can have the AES, or the Spidf, but not both at one time. They basically both fall under "Digital I/O" and you would choose which one you're using in the hardware preferences.

Also, keep in mind that the 16x16 is a max of, well, 16in, 16 out. You can use any combination of 16, whether digital or analog. So you could use 8 analog, 8 channels adat. Or 12 channels analog, 2 channels Spidf, and 2 channels Adat, etc. That would be for the ins, and the same thing applies to the outs.

But again, it's either Spidf or AES.

As for the other question, I think you'll do better to sell the Lynx and the Central Station, and get the Omni. That will give you all the monitoring capabilities, more I/O of the same high quality conversion as the HD IO (both sound better than the Lynx), plus the preamps, which are actually quite good (so are the DI's).

Plus, adding the Omni, you help with your Spidf/AES problem, by having another set of them (though the same issue still applies: either/or. But you could use the Spidf on the Omni, and the AES on the HD IO, or vice versa).
gotcha. thanks for the input. i know its 16 regardless, just did not know how free we are to split it up. bummer on the spidf and aes. the 8 channel aurora does basically turn into a 16 channel w the LTHD card. you get all 8 analog inputs but also lets you use the 8 aes inputs all together. that could resolve it as well. but this info does help me out in figuring out how i want to re wire my patchbays and what i areas i have to change. thanks!

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-09-2012, 05:06 PM

Well everything is up and going.
took about 15 minutes to install the card, boot up, update firmware, and get it going, then a bit reconfiguring the I/O settings. of course took hours building new cables and then gutting and rewiring the patchbays and such.....but thats another story!!!

so far so good!

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-10-2012, 04:54 PM

What is your computer config?
Old 10-10-2012, 05:18 PM

in my user profile thing....

Intel I7 920
Gigabyte EX58A-UD3R
12 GB Corsair 1800 ddr3
Nvidia 9600gt
lots of drives...
w7 64

jumped right into mixing some fairly large sessions and running great. buffer is at 512. should get some tracking done this weekend to check that out (32 hw buffer!!!) and test out the rest of my hardware and such.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-13-2012, 05:18 PM

Try tracking at 64 samples or if your at 96k track at 128 samples. Good luck
Old 10-21-2012, 10:33 PM

Pretty great Steven. How's the buffer size workin'?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com