Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2012, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Thinking of trying protools 10... questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post
It is not about what PT Native can do but rather about what pro facilities use. I have not once seen PT Native as the main rig in any pro facility I've used in the last 12 years. PT Native is a great DAW that I use daily... There are also other awesome DAWs like Cubase 6. However, the tagline "industry standard" refers to PT HD, plain and simple.
I see what you're saying.. thanks for the clarification! However the Native sessions can be opened in any HD/HDX system so to me this IS industry standard, regardless of the lesser hardware. In that matter I dont ever hear Cubase being an Industry Standard

Yes there are options and If your going to compare a Pro Tools M (Non HD and Non Native(no native card) with other DAW's than you might find some of the other features available more useful for what your doing...

For one PT has no "Quick Bounce" It bounces in real time... for people doing a lot of quick edits its worth it to have a DAW that exports quickly.... which is why I used 2 DAW's but there is nothing like PT out there.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluck777 View Post
Man I Have No problem Staying with Cubase ...Only asking VERY LEGIT QUESTIONS and also COMPLAINTS...My purpose for posting was to find out if there was any recent native version of pro tools that will do what..I can currently do with NO latencey, With almost EVERY other DAW IN 2012... I ABSOLUTLEY do not care who may think I'm a professional or not based on the software i choose...cornered market 1988 days are gone... No DAW will give u an ear.What u can hear and learn more every day will make u a pro way faster than the time u spend crowing about Gear...So lets kill the gear snob bs OK
Then my 2 cents are for PT it IS about the gear, yes you can get low latency recording using your interface (If it has built in monitor mixing than you dont ever have to setup monitor sends in the software you do this before the software-so near zero latency) or lower buffer settings in PT to get the shortest Latency possible if you want to monitor THROUGH the software..... There are options with PT that are not as cut and dry as say Cubase (buy the software and install.. choose your hardware and start recording... PT is more detailed than that, but If you get an MAudio Pro Tools rig your basically doing about the same thing using different terms "Low latency monitoring" "Low buffer monitoring"). To me its about what you have to spend and what you want to get out of it... I used Sonar Producer for years when Avid wouldnt let you buy PT without an Avid hardware interface... those days are gone and I choose whatever hardware I want now and believe me it took a month for me to forget Sonar even existed (even though I did like the quick bounce feature, I find Pro Tools engine creates a better sounding result, fuller, thicker results and what I heard after bouncing in Sonar wasnt the same as I heard in my sessions... in PT it is Exactly how I heard it bouncing down.

Pro's and Cons

PT Con.. Hard to get to know, too many options to learn, dealing with adjusting buffers yourself (instead f the software automatically doing it.

No Quick Bounce

Without HDX/TDM your latency is based on hardware chosen and CPU's and you have to find the sweet spot for what your doing.

Pro... Sounds the best, the most user definable (set it up for an individual)

Industry standard (Can share with other studios) and can export import session data with very little problems when importing to another DAW/software

There are more but Im tired of typing... someone else can continue
Old 07-06-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
However the Native sessions can be opened in any HD/HDX system so to me this IS industry standard, regardless of the lesser hardware. In that matter I dont ever hear Cubase being an Industry Standard
Now this is a perk to having PT Native, but still not why PT is considered industry standard. AE's in PT HD facilities receive consolidated audio sessions from all over the place. However they rely on PT HD for the latency reason and sheer power for insanely high track counts, and session compatibility with sessions by pro's that utilize other PT HD facilities at some point in the production stage. (Among other reasons).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
Yes there are options and If your going to compare a Pro Tools M (Non HD and Non Native(no native card) with other DAW's than you might find some of the other features available more useful for what your doing...

For one PT has no "Quick Bounce" It bounces in real time... for people doing a lot of quick edits its worth it to have a DAW that exports quickly.... which is why I used 2 DAW's but there is nothing like PT out there.
Quote:

P.S.Nearly Every DAW in existance already has these features...CUBASE 6 IS BOTH 64 Bit memory access and Direct monitoring tape style.. I'm Interested in pro tools and still would be, but ONLY IF I COULD USE IT WITH ZERO LATENCY W rec console lynx ect
This is why I said leaving Cubase 6 for PT10 would be for workflow preference only.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:16 PM

I would stay with what you know. Cubase is fine. I used it for years and got a lot out of it.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:

Another Reason I was considering the switch was Avid being a U.S. based company
US based only in that their headquarters are here. Programming is done out of Russia I believe and I highly doubt any manufacturing is done here in the US either.

QAPLA!