Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 08:36 AM

Default Quantize and plug-in issues...PLEASE HELP

Hello

Please bare with me, although I've had pro tools (Mbox2) since last year. I'm just really starting to record on it. I have a 2 part question. I'm using pro tools 7.1.1.... after I've recorded a couple of tracks, I want to quantize, but I'm not seeing the option to quantize what I've recorded in any of the drop down menus. help??

Also, I'm using a soft synth plugin...and I am aware that in order for me to record it in pro tools, i need to access this plugin via an audio track and a midi channel. My question is, will what I've recorded only show up on midi and not the audio track I've designated for it? because that is what i'm seeing. And when I try to duplicate what I've recorded (say a 4 bar loop), There is a space that appears after each dup...I'm so confused...please help

I know this is all probably simple to figure out...I just can't get it.

Thanks
JPAZ
Old 08-26-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Quantize and plug-in issues...PLEASE HELP

Select the data that you want to quantize then choose quantize (Event > MIDI > Grid/Grove Quantize or ) hit Opt-0 (zero). You can also engage the real-time quantization from the view menu > Edit window > reat-time properties and then set it up from there.

I would use an instrument track for your VI, unless I was going to have multiple midi tracks that sent to the plug-in, like a sampler plug-in, like Kontakt, that had several instruments loaded, then I use individual midi tracks per instrument.

An instrument track is like a combination of a midi track and an aux. input track. When you record to an instrument track it records midi, but it also sends that midi to the loaded VI and outputs audio.

If you want to commit the midi to audio, which I typically wait as long as possible to do, you sent the output of the instrument track (the lower setting not the settings in the instrument area) to a bus (a stereo buss for stereo content), create a stereo (depending on content) audio track and set it's input to the same bus. Then you can record the audio being generated by your VI on to the audio track. Then you can make your instrument track inactive to save resources.

I hope that helps.
.: Pro Tools Certified Instructor
.: Pro Tools Expert Certified in Music
Old 08-26-2007, 10:47 AM

Thanks for your help with this!!

I will try it all and see. I will let you know if it all works out.

Thanks
JPAZ
Old 08-26-2007, 11:46 AM

The Quantize worked great, thanks!!

I'm having trouble with the my plugin and the instrument track suggestion you made. I created an instrument track and inserted my software synth through the track and created a stereo buss output..but was still unable to hear what I'm playing. when I play my midi controller keyboard, I can see the keys move on the software screen but can't hear anything...even with the audio track that I added with the same stereo buss output as the instrument track.

With the midi and audio I originally did, I was able to hear what I played and play it back..but it was only recording on the midi track and not the audio.

Let me know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,
JPAZ
Old 08-26-2007, 12:27 PM

From a new session:
1) create a stereo instrument track
2) insert the VI plug-in (using the insert section of the inst. track)
3) Make sure the Instrument section is visible in the mix window: View > Mix Window > Instruments
4) in the mix window on the inst track in the instrument section (at the top) make sure your midi input is selected (your controller keyboard, or All), make sure the output is the plug-in you added (this should happen by default, but check to make sure)
5) make sure the output of the instrument track (just above the pan slider) is set to your main outs.
6) load a sound/patch on the VI
7) play your keyboard, you should hear the VI

To commit it to audio
1) create a stereo audio track
2) set the output of the inst track (was main out) to a stereo bus
3) set the input on the audio track to the same bus from step 2
4) record enable the audio track
5) record

You won't be able to hear the track setup like this unless you are either recording or set PT to "Input Only Monitoring" from the Tracks menu.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:50 PM

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!! It works... I finally got it to work.

I appreciate your help.

Now do I need to do this (add a new midi and inst track) every time I want to add a new sound from my plug-in?

JPAZ
Old 08-26-2007, 04:19 PM

It depends upon the plug-in, what your trying to do etc. If the VI is multi-timbral you could just add another midi track and set it's output to a different midi channel for that VI.