Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2003, 02:01 AM

Default Mackie Control lose connection?!

PT 6.2 on XP detect and works with Mackie Control (v.2.0 ROM updated and HUI mode selected), but after a while it says it can not find the control surface and the system hang and a hard reboot is needed. Anyone using the Mackie Control in HUI mode has similar problem? Or would like to share the proper way of setup?
thanks!
Old 12-13-2003, 05:00 AM

Default Re: Mackie Control lose connection?!

Yup ! I know your problem, I've had it hundreds of times. Maybe you'll also get those "Pro Tools ran out of 82 byte token errors..."

It seems in fact Pro Tools has difficulties when receiving too much MIDI data at the same time, and it's a global problem, which means you'll get the same messages whether you're on Mac, PC, PT HD, TDM or LE... But there is a solution. First use a rock-steady, solid controller, like Midiman 2*2, or - even better - use the rear MIDI ports on your Digi 001 or 002-R (don't know what you use by the way). Then read what's next, received from Digi Tech Support :

>You can crate a etxt file that should resolve this issue. Create a text using the following >format and Place it in the Pro Tools folder along with the Pro Tools application. You can specify >additional tokens by creating a text file called "TokenSizes.txt" and place it in the "DAE >Folder" if on the Mac or the "Pro Tools" folder if on the PC. In this file you'll add up to 8 >lines, each line of the format:
>
>Size:CountXXX YYY:ZZZ
>
>where XXX is a number between 1 and 8. YYY is a particular size of a token and ZZZ is the >additional # of tokens of size XXX to allocate. Say for example you're running out of 82 byte >tokens. To fix this, you'd create a "TokenSizes.txt" file that contains the following line:
>
>Size:Count1 82:500
>
>This lines instructs DAE to allocate an additional 500 82 byte tokens. Save the text file and >place it in the Pro Tools folder. So you would place the file in Program Files > Digidesign > Pro >Tools. If you create a"TokenSizes.txt" file, a second file called "TokenSizes.txt.ack.txt" will >be auto-created by DAE to notify you whether DAE correctly parsed the file or not.

Try this with a value of 500 first, and then 1000. Then, if you still have problems, raise the count carefully by 1000 each time, until you don't have issues anymore. Note that the max is 9000. Then you can add a second line.

Hope that helps. I don't have any problem with my Mackie Control and my 002-R now, and as I often use a complete 002 at work, I can tell you the Mackie has VERY nice features the 002 miss...

Yann
Old 12-13-2003, 09:19 AM

Wicked-Mama,
Could you please elaborate on the features that Mackie Control has over the 002 controller? I am looking at getting the same system you are talking about-IE Mackie control (or Tascam 1884-using HUI) and 002R. Would you be willing to tell me what functions the Mackie control can control on PT? Thanks so much!
Mbira
Old 12-13-2003, 10:05 AM

you said PT 6.2 on XP????????? I may have missed something.

Download free music at
http://www.nukmusic.com
nEVER uNDERESTIMATE kNOWLEDGE
Old 12-13-2003, 09:27 PM

PTLE 6.1.1 sorry!
Old 12-13-2003, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the tip, could you elaborate on the unique features that MC has over the 002 mixer? I don't have the 002 so I don't know how they compares. I am also considering the Yamaha 01v96r or the Tascam DM24 mixer and use their HUI emualtion in mixing session. Any suggestion here?
thanks!
Old 12-14-2003, 10:21 AM

Same here Mbo. May be ordering it very soon, so how is it with Protools?

Download free music at
http://www.nukmusic.com
nEVER uNDERESTIMATE kNOWLEDGE
Old 12-14-2003, 05:38 PM

Don't have much time to answer now, so I'll do it, say, tomorrow...
Those features include automation buttons, Scrub/Shuttle Wheel, direct access to markers, escape and enter buttons, clear peaks button, and so on... And in addition the Mackie Control works perfectly with Nuendo, Cubase SX, Adobe Audition, Digital Performer, Logic Audio, etc... whereas the Digi 002 works only with PT. Moreover, you can add up to two extensions, which makes 24 tracks in a row... and a lot of money to spend ... oh, and the Penny and Giles faders are much more precise than the 002's, believe me !

The counterpart is you have to deal with Midi data sometimes overwhelming Pro Tools, which you won't find with the Digi 002. Hence some strange error messages...

One last point : there are many "hidden" features within the Mackie Control, and it's a long way before you know them all. And some things are missing too, so buying it doesn't mean you'll never need your keyboard anymore, alas. Please don't confuse it with a HUI or even a Pro Control, the price isn't the only difference...

Yann
Old 12-14-2003, 09:17 PM

It also has a dedicated save button, which Digi said it didn't include on the 002 because it exists on the Control/24 and ProControl, so to thus differentiate them. I've lost control once in a while, but moreso when I first hooked it up. Bottom line is it hasn't gotten in the way.

As I've stated before, I really love this thing (I actually just got it replaced by the Control Universal because of a faulty fader on the other one). The expandability, including the "plug in" expansion, are awesome pluses, too.
Peace