Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2003, 07:41 AM

Default Can Protools LE be used with hardware other than Digidesign\'s?

I was wondering if ProTools LE 6 can be used with any other audio interfaces other than Digidesigns? I currently have a MOTU 828 firewire interface and would like to run ProTools with it. Thanks
Old 05-07-2003, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Can Protools LE be used with hardware other than Digidesign\'s?

Protools software will only work with Digidesign hardware. The exeption to the rule being Protools free, but this only has 8 tracks.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:41 AM

Can you use other hardware to record 8 tracks with pro tools free, and then open the session with an mbox and le and continue recording in LE
Old 05-07-2003, 10:40 AM

Hi lala, I just did a few searches,but couldn't find anything conclusive about using PT free with multi channel hardware. My suspicion is that you could use other hardware but only in a 2 in 2 out configuration due to free's use of sound manager. Bit out my depth here so lets hope someone more knowledgeable chips in.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:44 AM

Pro Tools Free will only record two tracks at once, although you could record up to eight tracks in separate passes and then open that up in LE. Or you could record eight tracks simultaneously in another program and import the raw audio files into Pro Tools.

-Duardo
Old 05-08-2003, 06:02 AM

Thanks Duardo.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:10 AM

Pro Tools LE will only work with digidesign hardware. However, digidesign hardware can work with various other DAWs like DP3/4 etc.

This is to the best of my knowledge and experience with M-Audio Quattro, which doesn't work with Pro Tools [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2003, 10:23 AM

My question is; say if I have a crappy mBox, but I also have higher-end stuff like MOTU 2408, can I use ProTools LE 6 and route inputs and outputs thru the MOTU? You know, kind of like getting a dud mBox as the key to launch PT LE and do some serious works on the real interface. Has anyone tried or heard of this?
thanks, I don't want to buy 002 or 001 and still be limited to 32 tracks. mBox is enough for learning PT LE... I would still use Logic or DP for most of the other stuff, like MIDI...
Old 05-08-2003, 10:27 AM

No, Protools software (except for PT free) will only work with Protools hardware.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:41 AM

I used to use Freestyle and sync it to Pro Tools, but since PT 6 and OS X have not been able to use Freestyle and was forced to use PT's midi capabilities. Since using the midi in PT I've gotten used to it and find it rather simple to use. Was tricky getting patch names into PT as the file name had to match exactly the name you chose in the AMS.

Anyhoo... routing signals out of MBox to another hardware can be done but it won't increase your I/O into ProTools, you'll still ultimately have only 2 ins 2 outs, thus rendering the Motu's additional i/o redundant.

The only way I can imagine you would use the motu's additional I/O is by using midi gear outputs directly to the motu box and the midi is controlled in your PT session. That's the way I did it with the MAudio Quattro.

It's a pity ProTools doesn't support other manufacturers' hardware. That's proprietarianism for ye!