Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2003, 01:14 PM

Default Help! Tracks drop-out! Audio plays in weird places

So this is a problem I've had off and on, and it seems to have returned now that I just re-configured my hardware, adding a Rosetta 800 on an ADAT bridge.(I've had the adat bridge all along, but with an ADAT on it...) System is Mix+ TDM on a G4/933 OS9.2 PT v5.1.1. Adat bridge is now primary interface off Core card with Rosetta 800 A/D, and the 888 is in Slave mode on my Farm card. Sounds great, except...

Often when I have sessions with a lot of voices set to "Auto" (which is imperative in order to take advantage of RTAS plugs...) I will have tracks randomly go silent during playback, for no rhyme or reason. Could be any track, but almost always one with an Auto voice. If I stop and start playback, all voices resume playing. But then at any time some other voice could shut off. Sometimes when this is getting back I will also get chunks of audio playing even when they are nowhere near the current cursor point in the tune. This generally means I'm going to crash, and if this stuff is going on and I Save and Exit PT, I get a crash and have to reboot. This rarely leads to lost data, but is really, REALLY annoying! I can fix it by making all the voices assigned specifically, but then I can't use RTAS plugs, and that's just dumb.

Any tips? This problem comes and goes, but seems to be "coming" right now.

Thanks! - Steve
Old 08-28-2003, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Help! Tracks drop-out! Audio plays in weird places

Just had this happening to me. The way I fixed it was to change the number of DSPs used for the mix engine. I was using 2 DSPs and I changed it to 4 DSPs. It solved the problem for me. Go to the playback engine setup and increase the number of voices/DSPs you use for the session.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 08-29-2003, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Help! Tracks drop-out! Audio plays in weird pl

Had something similar once. It was bend pin in one of my ADAT Bridge cables.

http://www.mmvstudios.com
Old 08-29-2003, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Help! Tracks drop-out! Audio plays in weird places

It may append when you have more than one copy of each audio files... Like when you import from a CD and still have the CD in the drive.

Try to "save as" to another empty disk (if possible) with copy audio, then unmount all other drive, and try again.

JC