Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2004, 10:13 AM

Default Thinking about making a move...

I've been using LE 5.2 with my 001, and have had no problems. I want to try out 6.whatever, but i don't want to lose my winning streak with 5.2. I have both OS9 and OSX on my dual 1 ghz system. Is it ok to have PT 6 on OSX, and keep 5.2 on OS9 on the same machine. Will i run into any problems?
Old 07-08-2004, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Thinking about making a move...

from what i've heard of other users doing this, it works. you may want to check around, do a search for it.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:29 PM

I haven't had any problems with that, 5x installs in the OS9 system, and 6x installs into the OSX system. My 001 runs great in 6.4 (sadly, it runs better than my 002!) That said, I always boot up in OS9 to use 5x.

Something to think about is if you run extra plugins (beyond the stock ones bundled in the software), you'll need to get updates as the old plugins don't run in OSX. Some venders will update for free, but many charge.

My advice, is if you're on a winning streak why change? Unless, there's something in 6x that is a must have for you.

I upgraded soley to be able to use the reason plugin (only in 6x) so that protools will slave reason (and I use reason for everything), to get around having to output so many audio files. Then I spent a small fortune upgrading all my 'must-have' plugins (auto-tune, etc.)

hope that helps,
BTW--"Steeler" undoubtably one of the best heavy metal albums of all time IMO.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:37 AM

Hi,

If Reason is a "reason" (haha oh boy) to switch to 6x, but you really want to stay in 5x for every other reason, you should try slaving it to PT using the IAC bus. You can send PT's time code out on the IAC bus (Session Setup Menu) and bring it into Reason on the IAC bus (preferences? I think). I don't know if it is reliable as the plugin for 6x (haven't tried it) but it always worked for me in 5x.