Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2013, 07:34 AM

Default ProTools 10 and Mbox 3G Problems on Windows 7 (64 bit)

Thanks for taking the time to consider my problem. Below is listed: description of the problem, things I've tried, computer/hardware/PT specs, and SANDRA report.

I've been using PT for years and have just developed a new set of problems. I recently bought PT 9 with upgrade to 10 with Mbox 3G. I was using it for a couple months on another computer (which crashed – this seemingly had nothing to do with use of PT.) My new computer (specs below) seemed ok the first few times I used PT, but has since developed a series of problems:
-first I noticed things I recorded were in a different key during playback over the computer (but not through Mbox) – I think they were playing slower and thus the pitch dropped?
-the next problem developed not immediately after, but relatively soon - whenever PT starts booting up a crackling-chaotic sound starts through the computer speakers. During any playback or attempts to record, it only gets worse. Audio playing back through the Mbox is fine. As soon as I switch to the Mbox in the playback engine, the awful noise disappears. So, I lived with it like that for a time, but then the next problem started:
-PT stopped recognizing the Mbox and only lists Realtek ASIO in the playback engine (Mbox isn't listed in Hardware setup either). After re-installing PT, it found the Mbox again, but for only one session. Then it disappeared again. The computer recognizes the Mbox and says it is working correctly.

I should note that any other programs using audio (Itunes, internet, etc) have no problems.

Things I've tried:
-updated Mbox driver
-reinstalled Pro Tools
-made Mbox default for sound
-moved Mbox to different USB ports
-made Pro Tools the administrator
-tried 'n' key during boot (Mbos still was not listed)
-I feel fairly certain I've done everything in Setup
-spent great time on DUC and Google trying to find others with same problem

Computer Specs:
Pro Tools hardware: Mbox (3G)
Pro Tools software version: 10.3.5
Computer model: ASUS A55A laptop
CPU Make/Model/Speed: Intel Core i5-3210M CPU@ 2.50GHz
OS version: Windows 7 Premium(64 bit)
Motherboard make/model: American Megatrends Inc. K55A.204
Chipset: Intel HD Graphics 4000 (memory: 1696 MB)
Memory: 6GB (5.89 usable)
Type of hard drives: ST9750420AS
HDD: 750GB
USB Ports: USB 3.0 (with three ports)
Computer speakers/sound card: listed as Realtek ASIO in PT playback engine
Attached periperals: none
drives installed: none other than came with the computer and PT installed

SANDRA Report
ID
Host Name : J-PC
Workgroup : WORKGROUP

Computer
Model : ASUS K55A
Serial Number : C5N0AS7********
Chassis : ASUS Notebook
Mainboard : ASUS K55A
Serial Number : BSN1234567**********
BIOS : AMI (OEM) K55A.204 03/13/2012
Intel vPro : 8.00.02.1410
Total Memory : 5.89GB DDR3 SO-DIMM

Processors
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz (2C 4T 3.09GHz, 3.1GHz IMC, 2x 256kB L2, 3MB L3)
Socket/Slot : FC PGA988

Chipset
Memory Controller : ASUS Core (Ivy Bridge) Mobile DRAM Controller 100MHz, 2x 3GB DDR3 SO-DIMM 1.6GHz 128-bit, Integrated Graphics

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : Hynix (Hyundai) HMT351S6CFR8C-PB 4GB DDR3 SO-DIMM PC3-12800S DDR3-1600 (11-11-11-29 5-40-13-6)
Memory Module : Asint SSZ302G08-GGNED 2GB DDR3 SO-DIMM PC3-12800S DDR3-1600 (11-11-11-29 5-40-13-6)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : Samsung Generic PnP Monitor (1600x1200, 156AT24-P01
, 15.3")
Video Adapter : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 (16CU 16SP SM5.0 350MHz/1.1GHz, 64MB DDR3 1.6GHz 128-bit, Integrated Graphics)

Graphics Processor
OpenCL GP Processor : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 (16SP 16C 350MHz/1.1GHz, 1.6GB DDR3 1.6GHz 128-bit, Integrated Graphics)
Compute Shader Processor : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 (16SP 16C 350MHz/1.1GHz, 64MB DDR3 1.6GHz 128-bit, Integrated Graphics)

Storage Devices
Seagate ST9750420AS (750.2GB, SATA300, 2.5", 7200rpm, 16MB Cache) : 699GB (C:) (D:)
Slimtype DVD A DS8A8SH (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 1MB Cache) : N/A (F:)

Logical Storage Devices
OS (C:) : 279GB (NTFS) @ Seagate ST9750420AS (750.2GB, SATA300, 2.5", 7200rpm, 16MB Cache)
DATA (D:) : 394GB (NTFS) @ Seagate ST9750420AS (750.2GB, SATA300, 2.5", 7200rpm, 16MB Cache)
Recovery : 25GB (NTFS)
Optical Drive (F:) : N/A @ Slimtype DVD A DS8A8SH (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 1MB Cache)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : ASUS Panther Point LPC Controller
Audio Device : ASUS Panther Point High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Codec : Realtek Semi High Definition Audio
Disk Controller : ASUS Panther Point Mobile 6 port SATA AHCI Controller
USB Controller 1 : ASUS Panther Point USB xHCI Host Controller
USB Controller 2 : ASUS Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #2
USB Controller 3 : ASUS Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #1
SMBus/i2c Controller 1 : Intel ICH SMBus

Printers and Faxes
Printer : Microsoft XPS Document Writer (600x600, Colour)
Printer : HP Officejet J4680 Series fax (200x200, Colour)
Printer : HP Officejet J4680 Series (1200x1200, Colour)
Fax : Microsoft Shared Fax Driver (200x200)
Printer : Canon Inkjet MP160 Printer (600x600, USB, Colour)

Network Services
Network Adapter : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (Ethernet)
Wireless Adapter : Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter (802.11n (HT), AES-CCMP, 150Mbps)

Power Management
Battery No 1 : ASUSTeK K55--47 52.21Wh/4.26Ah

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows 7 Home 6.01.7601 (Service Pack 1)
Platform Compliance : x64

Windows Experience Index
Current System : 5.9
Old 05-21-2013, 07:38 AM

Default Re: ProTools 10 and Mbox 3G Problems on Windows 7 (64 bit)

You need to be recording to a separate, dedicated, qualified hard drive, not to the system drive. Don't see one listed in your sandra. Just a partitioned main drive, which doesn't qualify.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the reply. Over the past years I always just used the hard drive on my computers, which seemed to work (albeit with various problems). I'm a little confused about what a separate, qualified, hard drive is. I have an external hard drive I use to back up files (Western Digital 1 TB). I'm guessing that's not what you mean. Could you point me in the right direction for what I need? Did I read somewhere that PT should not be run through a hard drive using USB but run only through those using firewire? I appreciate any help you can give. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:53 AM

The WD drive should work just fine IF it's a 7200 rpm drive. USB drives are indeed the preferred way to go with Win 7. So what you do it, create your sessions on the EXTERNAL drive. Point it there once and it'll always default there.
The other thing I'm seeing here is mis-matched RAM sticks. Pro Tools is finicky and requires matching ram.
Hope this helps!
Old 05-21-2013, 09:57 AM

Thanks again for trying to help me through this.
I attempted to install the Mbox Driver and PT 10 on my external hard drive (by moving setup folders from C drive to external drive and opening and running install - all this despite having read on a couple posts that it was only the session files that should be on the external drives). Both driver and software went through the installation process and said it was complete, but they never appeared on the external hard drive after reboot. Did it re-install them on the C drive of computer? And if so, why didn't it prompt me to uninstall the other versions first?
Anyway, I then opened PT on C drive and created new session on external drive. Crackling sound and inability to find Mbox on playback engine continued. I saved the file anyway. Rebooted. Opened file on external drive and nothing had improved.
Could it be a different problem? Perhaps the RAM sticks as you suggested?
Or am I not dealing with the external hard drive correctly.
More help is appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 05-21-2013, 02:35 PM

ProTools and all the drivers, in other words, the ENTIRE program, go on your C drive. The external drive is for your SESSIONS only. (When you install ANY program, it goes on your C drive so it can make registry entries.)
Old 05-21-2013, 06:27 PM

Yes, OK. The problem is unfortunately still the same. Pro Tools and Mbox driver (and HD driver) are on the C drive. Running sessions on the external hard drive has not solved the problem. I'm still hoping for other possible remedies.
Thanks.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:42 AM

Hi' lest work on your mbox problem.

go to the control panel/ device manager/sound,video and game controllers.

then disable all audio devices but your mbox driver/pcr/or any other device you use whit PT only.

now go to sound in control panel an trun off windows sounds set to no sound.

then trun off your pc and mbox wait 10sec or more than trun on your mbox frist then your pc.

Now open mbox ;go to setting an check disable Host control. now open PT !

check out win optimization for PT.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:52 AM

Thanks for taking the time to try and help.

I tried everything as suggested:
-disabled audio devices other than Mbox
-shut off all windows sounds
-disabled host control in Mbox

The only thing I couldn't do was power up the Mbox before PC because Mbox is powered by PC.

Unfortunately, the problem wasn't solved. I got this new message:
The selected ASIO audio device could not be initialized. Please choose another audio device.

It gave me no other audio device to choose from.

I tried to do a "win optimization". I wasn't exactly sure what you meant but I did an msconig, and shut down everything (non Microsoft) on the services and startup and enabled only Avid programs (there were only two: Mbox audio device manager and Digidesign MMERefresh).

This also failed to solve the problem.

I noticed as PT is booting, the awful noise always starts as it says it is: setting up peripherals, initializing machine control. Not sure if that information helps.

So. I'm still looking for other ideas. I'm very appreciative of all efforts to help. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmo9 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to try and help.

I tried everything as suggested:
-disabled audio devices other than Mbox
-shut off all windows sounds
-disabled host control in Mbox

The only thing I couldn't do was power up the Mbox before PC because Mbox is powered by PC.

Unfortunately, the problem wasn't solved. I got this new message:
The selected ASIO audio device could not be initialized. Please choose another audio device.

It gave me no other audio device to choose from.

I tried to do a "win optimization". I wasn't exactly sure what you meant but I did an msconig, and shut down everything (non Microsoft) on the services and startup and enabled only Avid programs (there were only two: Mbox audio device manager and Digidesign MMERefresh).

This also failed to solve the problem.

I noticed as PT is booting, the awful noise always starts as it says it is: setting up peripherals, initializing machine control. Not sure if that information helps.

So. I'm still looking for other ideas. I'm very appreciative of all efforts to help. Thanks.
What happens if you boot up Pro Tools with the "N" key down until it lets you choose interface? Just restart computer and then start PT and hold down the "N" key and choose your MBox when you see that on the screen.
Keep the key down until you see a screen where you can choose interface.

PS. I would also remove the 2GB ram memory as the other one is 4 GB and should be able to run on that whilst trouble shooting your PC. It might not make any difference but worth a try

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————