Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-1999, 09:30 AM

Default Midi problems with PT/NT 4.2.5 and Cakewalk 6.01

Hi Tom, we've been experiencing a huge latency in playback/recording while doing midi work inside cakewalk when PT/NT is running in the background.

I tried turning Off Midi thru in PT and then switch to Cake and begin playing but then I get this HUGE latency and i have to click the famous "panic button" to stop it.

Moreover, If I close PT or cakewalk after that, I get a "blue screen" and have to re-boot. HOWEVER, If I close all apps, run PT only and do MIDI work inside it - no problem!

Could it be the version of cakewalk i use (6.01) ? The Midiman 4X4/S is working properly ( no IRQ and port conflict ) and ProTools is properly installed (4.2.5).

We'll try some tests with some sequencer apps and i'll repost if things got better or worse..

Thanks for any inputs on this again!

Dan
ECHO

MP Dual 3.66mhz ( 6-Cores) / 128GB / SDD 8TB
OSX Sonoma 14.4

Dan Desilets
Mix/Mastering Engineer, Guitarist, Composer
New Website live @ www.yuccamusic.ca
Old 05-07-1999, 09:38 AM

Default Re: Midi problems with PT/NT 4.2.5 and Cakewalk 6.01

***** TECH PLEASE READ *******

How come we're not getting help at all ?
This is a SERIOUS SOFTWARE BUG. We tried EVERY possible thing to troubleshoot it. The problem is not coming for the Midi interface, neither cakewalk software, its really inside PT 4.2.5 NT.
We had midi Sequencing/Editing work to do this week and we had to forget the job because PT would not allow us to run a sequncer at the same as PT's running.

For a Product costing 5K$..
Its a shame not being able to run midi from a different sequencer with it.

This MUST be fixed SOON

Thankd and in the hope of getting help somewhere..

Dan
ECHO

OSX Sonoma 14.4

Dan Desilets
Old 05-07-1999, 10:32 AM

I have tried using CWPA VERSION 6.0 WITH NT AND IT DOESEN'T SEEM TO WORK VERY WELL.

i HAVE HAD GREAT SUCCESS WITH CWPA VERSION 8.01 AND IT WORKS TO PERFECTION.

If you have the PT driver enabled in CWPA VERSION 6.01 it will crash.

You must use CWPA as a sequencer only, turn off audio hardware in the options section of the settings menu.

I have Cakewalk 3.0 and it works well also.

Let me know whats up maybe I can offer assistance.

Sly.
Old 05-07-1999, 03:03 PM
Avid

Hi Dan. Sorry I've been away. I try to keep up with the DUC but sometimes I can't.
If you need emergency care, please consider calling into the tech support call center.
650 842 6699. They can and will help you.

We have only used CWPA 8.0.1 and it works. We haven't done extensive testing but everyone using it is having good results with the MidiMan 4X4.

I know you're anxious about your problem Dan,
but jumping to the conclusion that it's all Pro Tools fault is a big leep. A blue screen crash is a driver conflict 95% of the time. When you get a blue screen crash , go to the windows diagnostics in administrative tools. From there you can examine the installed drivers and you can start changing them out to reveal the problem. It's a pain, but this is the wonderful world of Windows. Never assume an older version of a application will work like the current tested version works, espesially if it hasen't been tested. That's the best advice I can give you. That and call us if you're in a bind. The DUC is not designed for tech support. It's a "users" conference. We'll help up here when we can but the phones are our number one priority. Please don't get me wrong. We're here to help, so call us. Thanks.

Tom S.
Old 05-10-1999, 08:44 AM

Hi Dan,

Just went thru something JUST like this w/ SampleCell. Turned out that I needed to install the Midiman driver update from their site at Midiman.net. Seems to have fixed things, and our symptoms were exactly like yours. If you haven't installed this yet, give it a try...

---------->Denny
Old 05-10-1999, 09:55 AM

Thanks a lot Tom and Denny,

Denny - I'll try the NT driver on Midiman's web site for sure but I think that its the same as the one from my original disks, files have the same dates etc..

Another thing, I DO NOT have ANY conflict with the Midiman 4X4S and other hardware inside my computer ; I also tried changed IRQ to 5, 10 and port adress, but this has not fixed my problem here.

How come can I run Cakewalk, Soundforge, any other MIDI apps SIMULTANEOUSLY without any latency or blue screens ?? If I really had a Driver conflict I would have a major crash long ago (blue screen or latency probs).

As soon as I start ProTools and then Cake, Latency appears, the MIDI VU in the PT mixer window freeze...and then If I have the badluck of closing Protools after that - Bang! - Mr. Blue screen causes to re-boot.

Tom - I know that there is a tech support phone number but I am MUCH better at writing english than actually speaking ...That is why I decided to ecxplain my problem directly on this conf.

Once again, Its not a driver conflict problem , I have been working with Windows platform for over 15 years, I know what are IRQ's DMA' Port adress, and shared ressources...

The blue screen happens *ONLY* is Protools was opened and then closed while cakewalk was running in the background...otherwise it NEVER happens.

Here's my complete setup:

Main setup:
P-II 350mhz 128mb RAM Shuttle mainboard.
Installed on Windows NT workstation/sp3

Apps installed:
Protools v4.2.5
Protools beta Wavedriver
Soundforge 4.5 with Cd architect/DX plugs.
Cakewalk PA 8.01
Easy CD creator 3.5b
Norton Utilities for NT
Easy SCSI deluxe 5.0

Hardware config:

Adaptec 2940UW .......IRQ 9
D24/DSP farm..........IRQ 5 (on both)
Ati 3D charger AGP....IRQ 11
MidiMan 4X4/S.........IRQ 10 (port:300)

Hope this can shed some lights...

Thanks for any inputs....

Dan
ECHO

OSX Sonoma 14.4

Dan Desilets
Old 05-11-1999, 08:01 AM

Dan,

This is just what I was experiencing...only Digi apps gave me problems and there was definitely no IRQ conflict. However, installing those drivers did fix my problems. I was sure that the drivers on the website were the same as on the disks, too, but I was wrong. Can't say for sure this will do it for you, but give it a try...

---------->Denny
Old 05-11-1999, 07:39 PM

Well i can say that the MAIN problems are now gone!
It turned out that the MidiMan's NT driver from their web site (Thanx Denny) no longer cause Blue screen or latency problem on our machine ..Thereforem we can achieve total software sync with PT while doing MIDI works. The only thing is that the MIDI must come from one or the other app ; not the two simultaneously. For exemple, I open Cakewalk 8.01 and then PT. Then I use Cake for midi playback/recording while slaving to PT for digital audio..

So for now, we're just happy to work that way!

Dan
ECHO

OSX Sonoma 14.4

Dan Desilets