Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2002, 10:29 PM

Default Question for Digi Tech Support

I have a simple question about Mbox.

I want to use my Apogee Rosetta A/D convertor for my A/D conversion going into the Mbox's s/pdif input to avoid using the Mbox's A/D convertors.

What is the exact amount of latency I will hear while tracking a digital input this way?

Will "No Latency" monitoring not work with Digital inputs via the s/pdif connector?

If "No Latency" doesn't work with digital inputs, how does Digidesign intend users to make use of the Digital connections that Mbox has?
Old 04-24-2002, 08:20 AM
Avid

Default Re: Question for Digi Tech Support

Quote:
Originally posted by Pro Toolian:
What is the exact amount of latency I will hear while tracking a digital input this way?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">At a H/W Buffer of 256 samples you will get a latency value of 5.8ms @ 44.1kHz and 5.3ms @ 48kHz.

Quote:
Will "No Latency" monitoring not work with Digital inputs via the s/pdif connector?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No, it will not...only the Analog inputs are sent to the Input/Playback pot.

Quote:
If "No Latency" doesn't work with digital inputs, how does Digidesign intend users to make use of the Digital connections that Mbox has?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">RCA S/PDIF transfers from DAT machines and other digital devices.

Brent
Old 04-24-2002, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Question for Digi Tech Support

Hey Protolian, I use a Rosetta with my 001, and if I set the buffer to 128, using the spdif in the latency is so small it's really not an issue. If you wanted to, you can look up the exact latency with your corresponding buffer size, set the grid to miliseconds, and shift your audio back.