Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2004, 09:45 PM

Default Pro-Tools - in your pocket soon - Very cool

I WANT ONE !!!!

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 07-30-2004, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Pro-Tools - in your pocket soon - Very cool

Oh Noooooooo! Another gadget!
Old 07-30-2004, 11:53 PM

Meh, much rather have a laptop then that thing, and when you think about it, even if you got that you would still need to lug around an mbox, not to spoil your fun 'cause it is pretty cool, but I think it'll cost alot of money.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:19 AM

Only a 1 GHz processor... pretty slow. I have not used something that slow for several years with PT - let's see, I started with a 933 MHz, then a 1800, 2100, 2400, 2700 and now a 3400 64 bit. Unless your needs are VERY basic, PT would be a disappointment on that machine. Assuming it will even work / is compatable with it. Not to mention HDD issues.

But it does look like a cool gadget.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:25 AM

Pretty cool. Nice video.

What's the cost?

But there seem to be a few add-ons you need to get to make it really useful...

And where's the integrated mobile phone/internet? Without that it's dead in the water.

Well, it's definitely the shape of things to come.

Till then, I'm happy with my Psion. So the OQO's got color, is a bit faster, can view photos / video files (well, so can my camera, which is all I need till I get it home)) and...?
Old 07-31-2004, 06:26 AM

Location: Holland, MI - Osage Beach, MO - Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

Karel, that's the kind of thing that should be in the Smithsonian; 2Mbits of RAM?!

The significance of the handheld device is that it looks to be running a flavor of Windows XP. However, I wouldn't much enjoy running Pro Tools on a 5" screen. Did it say the resolution was 640x480 or 1024x768?
Old 07-31-2004, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Karel, that's the kind of thing that should be in the Smithsonian; 2Mbits of RAM?!

The 2Mbytes (not bits!) of RAM has never got full in six years of use - those files are tiny. Also, it is pemanently 'on' - no boring boot up. Holds 3 years of diary / appointments comfortably. Can run 6 applications simultaneously. The Autoroute is faster than on my PC! - and I can take it in the car. I can print directly from it (with all the full Page Preview, margin edit functions etc), the word processor is functionally better than MS Word IMHO. The thesaurus is the best I've ever seen (I will turn to my Psion rather than use any on my PC). It can record 10 second snippets of sound... oh, all right, you can't that bit seriously. But it never crashes. I just plug it into my PC and quickly transfer any files, like letters I've written on the train. And, just to be safe, everything is periodically backed up to Flash memory which has never gone wrong.

I find it hard to imagine any palmtop doing anything better, or anything else well enough yet, to justify with my parting with it.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Pretty cool. Nice video.

What's the cost?

Very nice.....how much?
Old 07-31-2004, 09:52 AM

Hello. I like this device but not so much for Pro Tools. As we all know, Pro Tools needs to run with the hardware. So you at least need the Mbox. Which may be fine for some applications. The application I like it for is field recording. Since it runs Windows XP, it can run pretty much any audio software I assume. So to be able to record on the field with something much lighter than a portable DAT and easier than a laptop is attractive. It will depend on how much dough they want for it.

P.S. If they ever update Pro Tools Free to XP then you may have something there.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:55 AM

You'd still need a preamp, and a decent A/D convertor...