Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2016, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Avid Artist Community vs. Cloud Collaboration

Even without the contractual debacle, Artist Community is doomed to failure anyways IMHO.

Let's say you're a director making a TV show or movie. Do you go through an established library/production music company you know and trust that has pre-vetted it's material and can search out what you are looking for? Or do you wade through endless amounts of let's face it, unsolicited music of questionable quality that will inevitably end up on Artist Community?

Sorry to be so cynical Avid but I can't see this working. And how does Avid and the end user monetise this? As far as Avid is concerned, is it just another cost that eats into the subscriptions/support plan revenue. I'd rather you spent the money on QC. Lord knows it is needed at the moment.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
I am wondering if the two are one and the same thing
They are not.

The Artist Community is a social platform and the agreement gives us the right to host/stream/preview your file(s) which is what you are asking us to do by publishing them on your profile (like I did). If you don't want to put your music out there (or can't, in the case of commercial media) then don't put it on your profile. If you are posting your music to other social sites for everyone to listen to then you might do that here as well. Those selling their music could put up short previews if desired, but again it's optional to add files to your profile.

Our upcoming Cloud Collaboration involves you deliberately granting specific people access to your Project. It doesn't make anything available to the public like adding to your AC Profile does. You can also only enable specific tracks, so you might only share stems or a 'mix' with someone else (who you specify).

There's an FAQ on the way that should help clarify this so thanks for your patience.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:00 AM

Excellent, thanks...
Old 03-18-2016, 09:03 AM

That's fair enough Jeffro but the big question is... are the same or similar terms of service going to apply to Cloud Collaboration?... specifically...

LICENSE TO POSTED CONTENT
By submitting the Posted Content for publication on the Site, you grant to AVID, and its subsidiaries, affiliates and cloud service providers, a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, irrevocable, sublicenceable, non-exclusive right to use, reproduce, display, modify, distribute, store and create derivative works based upon (in any format whatsoever) the Posted Content for any purpose.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:13 PM

I guess we'll know in a couple of weeks when we read it. Until then, we're just guessing.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-19-2016, 11:39 PM

One guy did a song from one of my instrumental track that is available for license in variety non-ex libraries. The terms of this libraries not allow derivative works, but who cares...
The fact he did this song is not a problem, the problems started when he got a deal with publishing company. This company placed "the song" in YouTube Content ID Program and all the clients who bought my track (before or after) started to get copyright claims from YT. And I started to get dissatisfied letters from the libraries. This "small" piece of experience costed me so much time and nerves... that I don't see the way to enter in agreement with Avid's cloud.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:02 AM

That sucks! You Tube has nerve chasing you over copyright given the minuscule amounts it pays for music usage.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:36 AM

I've never seen YouTube royalties in my PRS statements even if some videos with my music have over million views. And I think when it finally happen, it will be something like £ 0.0001
Old 01-06-2017, 04:45 PM

For my purposes, I don't see the Artist Community licensing agreement as a limiting factor in my using that forum- my main goal is to network with other musicians and producers who might need my musical or arranging capabilities. If Avid wants to take the audio I put up on the site to sample and include in their arrangement of "Get the Funk Out Ma Face" for tuba choir, I say have at it!

I don't plan to post things on the Artist Community which are commercial products; I'm just putting simple, quick mixes showing some of my capabilities. If a producer or other musician wants to collaborate with me on a project, then great- we can discuss in private, invite each other to our CC Projects, etc..

Btw, I'm over here on the Artist Community, if any of you want to connect:
https://ac.avid.com/artistcommunity/...s/DougBrunelle

--Doug