Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2012, 01:54 PM

Default Unwanted pitch shifting

Hi guys,

I'm running PT HD 8.0.4 on Mac OSX and am going CRAZY due to my MIDI parts inexplicably changing pitch while I'm playing them. I didn't do anything to make this happen - just a spontaneous thing that's making it impossible to record. I am, of course, in a session.

Please let me know if you're familiar with this problem and why it could be happening. I need to solve asap.

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2012, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Unwanted pitch shifting

You may have accidentally transposed your controller. This has happened to students in our Pro Tools lab using Axiom keyboards, as those keyboards have a quick way to transpose the keyboard, which is great if you know about it.
.: Pro Tools Certified Instructor
.: Pro Tools Expert Certified in Music
Old 03-25-2012, 02:26 PM

Hi Chris,

Thanks but no this is different. The parts record correctly and sound normal until random moments in PLAYBACK where it starts going all over the place. I noticed that a couple of times when I scrolled the roller ball on the mouse (not in MIDI or the lugin, mind you - just editing audio during playback) the notes would shift almost randomly. It is driving me insane.

Any ideas?
Old 03-25-2012, 04:58 PM

Sounds to me like your keyboard is spewing out spurious data (esp the pitch wheel). This could still affect a MIDI track even if you had an audio track selected. Try filtering out some of the MIDI data input (Setup->MIDI->MIDI Input Filter) and/or turn MIDI Thru off.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:58 AM

I agree with midnightrambler, I my friend at work had this problem once and the explanation was as midnightrambler said.. try what he have mentioned...
Old 06-11-2012, 05:15 AM

In the edit window, on the MIDI track in question, choose to view pitch bend data... sounds like pitch bend data may have somehow gotten recorded onto your track. This would explain why you hear it even when you're scrolling (ProTools will send out the pitch bend data for each timeline point you scroll to.)