Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2010, 06:22 PM

Default Re: PT native out of the bag

Wow! Guys relax. This is a real step forward for Avid - Sorry it did not come for free on the front of SOS magazine !

If all these 'open' platforms ( Like UAD is Open or Apple is open ) are so attractive then move along - there is nothing to see here.

This is a great way for people who , like myself have found the price gap from LE to HD too much for my studio to bare. It is right in the middle. Perfect.

I am sure you will all get your ADC in LE but that is exactly what it is LE NOT HD so stop expecting it to be.

It amazes me how all I hear is the praises sung 'Reaper has this' or 'Logic system is cheaper' etc but yet you are all still here ?

Avid have done very well with this product if it is not for you than so be it.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:24 PM

To me, this is HD (or PT) of the future. Noone needs an Accel card or any other card with "processing power" now or in the future due to the current processing power available on your computer. This card allows you to interface HD hardware (better converters, etc.) with PT software. Ultimately, I don't think it is meant to be a mid-range system or an upgrade to LE.

If I were Avid, I'd lower the cost of this card and have all of their devices use it to interface all of the AVID/Digi I/O devices. At that point, everyone gets the same software (lower support costs) and you pay more or less for whatever level of hardware you need. But, they would need to develop an express card for laptop users (but what's wrong with that?).

Just my 2 cents.

Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 10-06-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P4Vi7 View Post
Wow! Guys relax. This is a real step forward for Avid - Sorry it did not come for free on the front of SOS magazine !

If all these 'open' platforms ( Like UAD is Open or Apple is open ) are so attractive then move along - there is nothing to see here.

This is a great way for people who , like myself have found the price gap from LE to HD too much for my studio to bare. It is right in the middle. Perfect.

I am sure you will all get your ADC in LE but that is exactly what it is LE NOT HD so stop expecting it to be.

It amazes me how all I hear is the praises sung 'Reaper has this' or 'Logic system is cheaper' etc but yet you are all still here ?

You are very right, in the respect that its a cheaper HD. But in my own (probably bias'ed) opinion, this does not do any good for the majority (population wise) of Avid's user base.

I check the HD forums every so often, i rarely ever see anybody complaining about HD lacking in features. So why give resources to Protools HD, when many LE users are on the brink? (not including myself).

On the contrast, i see LE users begging for attention, which i'm sure is coming, but this HD Native is a sign of bad priority, to cater to an already happy user base.

Thats just my two cents....

Nick
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet
Old 10-06-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeyBwah View Post
Man... that is a rip-off. For 6k, you could get an open-platform environment like one of RME AES or MADI offerings + Aurora 16 and still have close to 3k left over. It doesn't make sense for the technology they are offering.

6K? Jesus.

And please don't compare to other over-priced Avid HD line products...
Just playing devil's advocate... Everything we buy is marked way up. We would be shocked to find out how much everything in our homes cost to make compared to the company markup prices. The customer gets around this if they can get their particular needs met from a lesser brand, or similar product. That's where LE and other software daws fit in regarding HD. But in a way you can only compare HD Native to HD. If you don't need a 20k or so HD system then get the 6k HD Native. Though many of us would never buy a HD system, we still sometimes have wet dreams about it and are all smiles using it in high-end studios. HD Native will give more reason for home and smaller studios with the budget to have HD. Kinda cool IMO. Hope it's solid.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcrazyfruit View Post

On the contrast, i see LE users begging for attention, which i'm sure is coming, but this HD Native is a sign of bad priority, to cater to an already happy user base.

Thats just my two cents....

Nick
Man, I feel you on this, but is it safe to say that HD Native is a bold statement to where LE is not going? The attention LE users got was the new interfaces, then BAM!! - HD Native, which as stated earlier really closes the gap between say a 003 and HD. I think that says a lot without actually saying anything.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:

I don't need LE to be HD. I just need to to have BASIC FEATURES that MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE DAW software has! You know, like ADC, OMF, etc...
Old 10-06-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:

I avoided PT for as long as I could. I have stated that earlier. So, I went into my purchase eyes open and knew everything was going to be overpriced for mediocre performance.

But had I believed the power marketing hype over the years that digidesign spewed out, about their "industry standard" software (even though the rest of the industry seemed to fix a LOT of things long before PT did for the X86 platform!) I could be one of these guys sitting here, finding out the hard way that the "industry standard" software cannot adjust for plugin latency.

PT is the most expensive software platform you can get into on Windows, yet, LE cannot do delay compensation! Show me the marketing hype ad that said THAT to the users they were trying to attract and eventually won over!

Now having to upgrade further JUST to get features that FAR less expensive DAW's have, when you have a version that is still broken?

LAME!
Old 10-06-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamlan View Post
Man, I feel you on this, but is it safe to say that HD Native is a bold statement to where LE is not going? The attention LE users got was the new interfaces, then BAM!! - HD Native, which as stated earlier really closes the gap between say a 003 and HD. I think that says a lot without actually saying anything.
Oh i fully expect avid to release new features for le. Its just it would have been a smarter move to work from the ground up (which is not what avid is doing). From how its looking, avid will just keep slashing more features till its protools le. I dunno. I just want to see a working build with adc. I really dont care about track count, as my sessions dont ussually exceed 30 tracks. And 5 or 6 buses.

Nick
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet
Old 10-06-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcrazyfruit View Post
Oh i fully expect avid to release new features for le. Its just it would have been a smarter move to work from the ground up (which is not what avid is doing). From how its looking, avid will just keep slashing more features till its protools le. I dunno. I just want to see a working build with adc. I really dont care about track count, as my sessions dont ussually exceed 30 tracks. And 5 or 6 buses.

Nick
Their strategy actually makes a lot of sense...

The loudest voices are looking for the same basic features. Avid has been teasing us with new hardware, but no significant movements in software for nearly 2 years. Ever hear the saying, "Save the best for last?"

So... they release flashy new hardware. Some neat features, upgraded parts, more versatility, etc. Now we're seeing some action from Avid, and maybe getting used to it. But they know what we really want... we want modernization of the software.

Timing is everything, especially when a company is dealing with a troubled economy and strained market share. Apple is about the best example of that. In terms of hardware+software... when you have such a variety of hardware, doesn't it make sense to release it all first, and THEN release software that is compatible with all of it, instead of patching it every time something new comes out? Makes sense to me.

All of these hardware releases have been leading up to November AES. Just under a month away now. Every new release has been more and more interesting. The HD I/O had fairly mediocre fanfair, but the MBoxes created quite a buzz. Now this HD Native has everyone awake and talking. Good and bad.

All that's really missing now, in terms of hardware, is the new 00x, and new TDM cards.

Software is all that's left after that. Why not make a big splash at the big audio event? Considering Avid is the only company listed with both a booth and a room...

Either way, some food for thought.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-06-2010, 11:10 PM

Hi All,

I've noticed a lot of folks here and in other forums commenting on the price of Pro Tools|HD Native. As I said in another thread, it's important to Keep in mind that Pro Tools|HD Native includes Pro Tools HD software. When you consider the value of Pro Tools HD software at around $2500, the price of Pro Tools|HD Native is a pretty great value. Add in the advantaged pricing when you bundle an HD series interface and it's a very competitive pro solution with best in class performance and sound quality.

I also would take exception to the idea that the HD Native Core card is "just a dongle." To get the performance, stability, low latency and I/O count our pro customers want from a native HD system requires more than USB or Firewire could possibly provide.

Looking forward to more comments and feedback.

Best,
Max