Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2023, 06:59 AM

Default Noob link buttons + dynamic transport help needed

I have watched numerous tutorials but I'm still confused about how to use the link and insertion follows playback buttons along with dynamic transport mode in my workflow. Any help would be most apreciated.
Thanks
Old 06-19-2023, 06:14 AM

Default Re: Noob link buttons + dynamic transport help needed

If you could explain your workflow and what you are trying to accomplish, I'm sure someone could give you some pointers on what your best options would be.

System Details
Old 06-19-2023, 07:55 PM

A couple basic tips on Insertion Follows Playback itself:

1. ENABLE if you have a clip selected and want to stop & resume playback without the cursor reverting back to the very beginning of the clip.

This way you can keep your position after stopping & resume playback. Especially if you are editing as you go.

2. DISABLE if you've selected a clip and want to maintain the selection while looping or editing after stopping playback.

Great for keeping the selection while looping & editing a MIDI pattern or section you are rehearsing.

Note: The selection will always resume playback from the start of the selected clip (reverting to the start of the clip after playback stops).

This was the very first thing I wanted to learn when coming to Pro Tools from another DAW.
I'll let others post about when to use Dynamic Transport and when not to link things.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 06-19-2023 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-20-2023, 12:50 AM

Just trying to figure out my everyday Pro Tools usage workflow.

Thanks that helps a lot.

Going between Cubase and Pro Tools. When I am tracking someone in Pro Tools I keep clicking on the timeline to reposition the playback, which is the usual way in Cubase. All tracks get selected and the edit window moves away from the track i'm recording to. It then takes me several seconds to recover my position and orientation.