Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2011, 07:29 PM

Default Re: FRFR Powered Speakers?

You might want to take a serious look at the EV ELX112p as opposed to the 15p. It runs about $100 cheaper and sounds great with the 11R. I have never felt I regretted going with the 12" version due to bass response - plenty of lows.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbardDigi View Post
You might want to take a serious look at the EV ELX112p as opposed to the 15p. It runs about $100 cheaper and sounds great with the 11R. I have never felt I regretted going with the 12" version due to bass response - plenty of lows.
Yes, I found a thread on that unit on another board and just finished reading it moment ago. Someone said that guitar frequencies can start to 'beam' using a 15" speaker which I found a bit .

However, down where I live the EV unit is no lower than $1,100 whereas the EON is available @ $899. At these prices it's a major purchase and worth taking your time on. But, I am slowly learning about these things. I was thinking that I would take the plunge next week, but, I think I need more research, and more time at the gym (strengthening shoulders and back) .

But me likes shiny new toys .

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 07-12-2011, 12:46 PM

Here's my 2 cents- When I play out I go direct and always tell the FOH guy that it's a line level signal and set my channels flat. I've had the best tone experiences when the floor wedges were E-V and EAW, I've had terrible results from JBL, they were all wood cabs loaded with 15's and a horn. When we have a band practice I use a Mackie SRM450 just for my guitar, plastic cab with a 12 and horn and the tone sucks. I think the Mackie is underpowered for my application- 7string guitar and heavier rock covers, and the plastic enclosure does nothing but make the guitar sound "fake". So I think the Mackie is on it's way out in favor of something in a wood cab with 1000+ watts of power.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenbeats View Post
Here's my 2 cents- When I play out I go direct and always tell the FOH guy that it's a line level signal and set my channels flat. I've had the best tone experiences when the floor wedges were E-V and EAW, I've had terrible results from JBL, they were all wood cabs loaded with 15's and a horn. When we have a band practice I use a Mackie SRM450 just for my guitar, plastic cab with a 12 and horn and the tone sucks. I think the Mackie is underpowered for my application- 7string guitar and heavier rock covers, and the plastic enclosure does nothing but make the guitar sound "fake". So I think the Mackie is on it's way out in favor of something in a wood cab with 1000+ watts of power.
Dude, thanks so much for sharing!!! You pretty much confirmed my worst fears for the JBL . And the newer JBL aren't even wood, they are all plastice enclosures, and according to the literature rated @ 625W. Looks like I'm in for some gym work .

Now the only FRFR system that I'm aware of sporting 1000W continuous, is the QSC K12, would you recommend this as the best choice?

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 07-12-2011, 05:23 PM

the Mackie srm450 has two separate power amps; 100watts rms for the high end and 300watts rms for end. If your looking for a speaker with 1000+ watts of course the Mackie will fall short. Personally I got the Mackie because I felt it was the best sounding for the money I had. If I had more $$$ I would definately go for the EV-SXA250 or QSC K12. Thats just my opinion and Frankenbeats is probably right about the Mackie when compared to higher-end speakers.
120GB OCZ Agility 3, 2 TB WD Green

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Pro Tools 8.0.5

M-Audio Keyrig 49
Eleven Rack w/ERXP
FCB1010 | Mackie SRM450v2 | Taylor 314ce | Ibanez RG321MH | ESP Horizon NT-II DSBS
Old 07-12-2011, 08:41 PM

I know you'd like to sift though a bunch of opinions and arrive at a good answer, but there's no substitute for doing you own evaluations.

Among the things I've *read*:

- Some owners of older Mackie SRM450s have complained of thermal shutdowns. (I have no idea as to whether this has been resolved in the MkII series)

- Lots of conflicting reports regarding HF accuracy on darned near every powered speaker...

OTOH, I've experienced:

- No problems at all with older Mackie SRM450s in various applications. They're practically an industry standard for low-end sound-system rentals.

- Fine sound from speakers that have a reputation, e.g. JBLs, for "harsh high-end".

It's not all good, though:

- The Tapco Thump (admittedly a low-cost speaker) is by far the worst-sounding powered speaker I've ever used. Great if you want hyper-exaggerated bass and no midrange. Otherwise...

FWIW, there are other manufacturers beside QSC with powered speakers in the "1,000 watt" range. Do a search...

Also, you should be aware that the "1,000 watt" rating has absolutely nothing to do with usable power. It's good for headroom (and maybe for transient response), but the average power is *always* limited to what the speakers can physically handle.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil View Post
I know you'd like to sift though a bunch of opinions and arrive at a good answer, but there's no substitute for doing you own evaluations.

Also, you should be aware that the "1,000 watt" rating has absolutely nothing to do with usable power. It's good for headroom (and maybe for transient response), but the average power is *always* limited to what the speakers can physically handle.
As I stated earlier, I'm not in any position to try out any FRFR systems personally, so I try and read anything that's available.

And, of course, for every good report for a speaker there's inevitably someone reporting a bad experience. What I'm trying to find out what the worst possible experience could be - and then figure out whether that is something I can live with. For instance, if the worst complaint was there is less headroom with a powered speaker than I can live with that. But if it a harsh sound, well no, I couldn't handle that. And I've mentioned earlier that I had first read that a 15" speaker would the better at producing bottom end, as a 7 string player I focused on that - then I read that 15" speakers are notorious for beaming sound - could I live with that, I don't know.

Personally a 1,000 W speaker scares the crap out of me . But you are right of the speakers I looked at the EV ELX112P also had 1000W continuous - doh!.

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 07-13-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
One of my friends who is a DJ has this exact speaker. What cued me into it was the lighted logo and then I took another look at it and thought.....HEY!....someone mentioned to give this a try.

My bud lent me one of them for a fews days during his down time. All I can say is WOW.....no issues with bottom end and running the 11r. Very clean, clear and superb quality. I'm getting one!
Old 07-13-2011, 08:08 AM

I have to admit that I am very interested in pursuing this route as well. I have made no decision yet and for as difficult as deciding on a normal amp/speakers can be this decision is equally as difficult and expensive if not more!

Anyways, what I have been doing for awhile is reading/monitoring the Axe-Fx forums as they have many quite good discussions regading FRFR speaker choices and opinions in the Amp/Cab forum. I find at least it gives me some education and other information on this subject.

FWIW as the journey to FRFR appears to be long!
Old 07-13-2011, 10:52 AM

I just played a few times using a QSC K12 for my personal monitoring on stage (I borrowed it from a friend). Everyone says that this is one of the best powered speakers to use in a FRFR set up. After giving it a shot in a live setting, I don't think I am fan of the FRFR approach in general. It sounds.....OK. I normally just use in ears and I am basically looking for some sort of speaker to bring a bit of feedback to my rig when needed. I think I am going to try the Tech 21 Power Engine 60 next. I know that it won't be as flat of a response, but I think the extended high end is what is a bit off putting about the FRFR response to my ears, at least in when being used as a monitor. I don't want to have to go the racked amp/guitar cab route, especially since the 11R has somewhat limited routing capabilities when using a power amp and cab and sending a direct feed to the house.