Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2012, 12:54 PM

Default RME UFX, Eleven Rack, and Pro Tools

I am new to Pro Tools. I received a copy with my recent purchase of an Eleven Rack. My Audio Interface is the RME UFX.
I want to continue to use my RME UFX as my main Audio Interface. However, I want to use my Eleven Rack as my guitar emulator, obviously. I want to use Digital I/O via AES/EBU Inputs and outputs on both the RME and Eleven Rack.
Re-Amping is very important to me so I would like to have that as an option as well.
My problem is that not only is Pro Tools new to me but so too are the concepts of Digital I/O. I am reading more about it and learning. To get to the point, how can I set my system up, including Hardware and Software settings on both the RME and 11r for the optimal performance for what I want to accomplish? What do I have to do in Pro Tools to ensure all of this works correctly? I am reading the manuals of bot h 11r and RME to get a better understanding of both units. I am googleing - I am taking courses on Pro Tools,but no topics have been about this type of setup. I simply do not have enough confidence in my abilities to just try plugging and unplugging wires and making software changes. So, I figured I would go to the source on this one in hopes someone could talk me through a general setup that will work.

For example, let's say I have my RME and 11r connected to each other via AES/EBU. Would I go through my RME and expect that the 11r settings will be recorded? Yeah, I know... I am a complete noob and I appreciate any help on this matter.

Thank you very much.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:46 AM

Default Re: RME UFX, Eleven Rack, and Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by csailer View Post
For example, let's say I have my RME and 11r connected to each other via AES/EBU. Would I go through my RME and expect that the 11r settings will be recorded?...
(Do not be surprised if a moderator moves your thread to the 11R section of the forum...)

An excerpt from page 88 of the 11R user manual:

Embedding Rig Settings in Audio Regions
Despite the fact that we designed Eleven Rack to store Rig settings to your computer and to its internal memory, we felt there had to be a better way to keep track of which Rig settings you use as you track your guitar. Pro Tools lets you embed the current Rig’s settings into audio regions as you record them, so that you can retrieve that same setting for further use later. This can also be helpful when collaborating or bringing sessions or regions to a different system using Eleven Rack, because your settings travel with the files.

To embed Rig settings in recorded audio:

1 Open the Eleven Rack Control window.
2 Click the User Options button. The Embed Setting From menu appears.
3 Set the Embed Setting From menu to the input you plan to record through, such as Eleven Rig L/R.
4 Create an audio track, and set its input to the input you’ve chosen, using the Input selector.
5 Record enable the track.
6 Record your part.

The settings of the currently loaded Rig will be embedded in each audio region that is recorded from the input you select in the Embed Setting From menu.

This same method applies when using Eleven Rack with Pro Tools|HD or M-Powered system.

Audio regions with embedded Rig data are marked with a small Eleven Rack logo icon in both the Edit Window and the Region Browser in Pro Tools.

The icon looks like a sigma sign (i.e., the 18th letter in the Greek alphabet).

Use 110 ohm AES/EBU cables for your connections. Connect both inputs and outputs. Only one interface can be the master, the other should be set to slave. For the first track, make the 11R the master (set the RME to clock to the AES/EBU digital input). For subsequent recording overdubs, set the RME to be the master clock (i.e., internal).
PT10.3.10HD(Tyan s2932 [8core Shanghai 2.7GHZ] 32GB,Win7 SP1); PT10HD(Tyan s2892 w/10GB, Win7 SP1);PT8HD(Dell 690 quad Xeon 3.0, 8GB, Win7,192 I/O, 96 I/O);MacBook Pro: 11R, Apogee Element 46, Focusrite 8PreX PT HD 11.3.2; Mac Pro 3.47 Hex 32GB, OSX 10.12.6/L10.4.2;L9.1.8, 2.64TB; G5 D2.3 4GB, 10.4.11/L8; 12c MP 2.66/32GB PT12.4; Structure, GigaGS3, Kontakt 5, Garratin, Sibelius 8.7+, Finale26,EMU,Vegas Pro 16-10/; RME HDSP9652,MOTU 2408 MKIII/1224/308, FX,Kurz,L5s,Strat,ASAT,JB,Zon
Old 10-07-2012, 11:31 AM

Default Re: RME UFX, Eleven Rack, and Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamajack View Post
(Do not be surprised if a moderator moves your thread to the 11R section of the forum...)

An excerpt from page 88 of the 11R user manual:

Embedding Rig Settings in Audio Regions
well look at that... i didnt know you could do that..!! hahah.... thanks for the post...

as far as settings which will net you the best "performance?" ... that is a bit of a loaded question... i find a lot of new users of pro tools
want the cheat codes on how to get great recordings right away, this is not always as easy as it sounds....

you really need to do your homework and read your product manuals, visit youtube tutorials with actual questions in mind... meaning not just
randomly going through tutorials hoping you'll learn something useful...

myself, i went to school for audio recording / production & mixing... it was a year long program.... we spent a lot more time actually recording
stuff in various studios rather than hooking up interfaces... and actually messing around with different settings even if we knew the results
as they are all a learning experience... the fact that you're using an RME soundcard as your interface already puts you in an area all your own
and it makes it a bit harder to find ideal settings for you specifically... its your monkey... only you can find the ideal settings for your particular RIG..

what i'm trying to say is.. unfortunately, with pro tools, the learning curve is still a very large mountain to climb... you need to put in the time
like the rest of us have in order to get the best results with it... hell i've been doing this for a decade and im' still finding new ways to work
better, smoother, faster... and i'm always trying new tricks... I spend hours researching one aspect of recording only to find I have a new found
skill set to draw from every time... and not always the way i thought i'd want to work.... at the end of the day, PRO TOOLS is just another tool,
you need to know it damn near inside & out to get it to work best for you... and what works today, may be a completely different story tomorrow...
even with the same hardware and other equipment involved..

fwiw, i own an 11Rack and have been extremely happy with it.... I use it as an effects pod of sorts as well.. my HD OMNI is my main interface, running PT HD10.2 on win 7 and solid as a rock!!

do yourself a favor op and read up on this site... lots of useful info...

http://elevenrackusers.blogspot.ca/

it sounds kinda funny, but plugging things in, using various combinations IS exactly how most of us figure out our setups and what works best for us....

I use SPDIF i/o for my 11R