Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2003, 11:19 PM

Default Now I\'m going to have a REAL STUDIO?

I was talking to a guy that a friend referred to me that wanted a producer for his demo. During our intial meeting he asked me what studio would I like to work out of, I replied, "There's no need to buy studio time I can just record the demo at my house." At this time I had all of my gear in a small room in my house and when the guy came over he said, "Oh, I thought you had a real studio," I said; "Well, I have Protools, We're just doing a demo, right?" The next day the guy tells me, "That's okay on the demo, I'll wait." This experience was a little annoying to me because I invested a lot a money in the stuff I have, So I had my basement remodeled and a sound booth built and put studio foam and bass traps on the wall. The same guy comes over with my friend and says "Wow you got a "REAL STUDIO," WTF?, So the fact that I had Protools in the beginning didn't mean squat to this guy, But the studio foam and cosmetics did. I now could have CAKEWALK and he probably wouldn't care as long as he's "IN THE STUDIO."

Sorry for the Rant [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2003, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Now I\'m going to have a REAL STUDIO?

Depending on the kind of music he wants to record, a home studio room that has been treated with bass traps and acoustic foam running Cakewalk, or even Cubase on an Atari synced to a Fostex 8 track analog can be a lot more important than a regular appartment room with a full fledge TDM ProTools system on the latest mac.

Makes sense to me.

6am eternal
Old 01-12-2003, 12:03 AM

Ummm, I wouldn't want to record in your studio, if it didn't have a good sounding room..
I'd choose to record my piano in a church or a music school building with a decent mic and a Korg 16... ,or Yamaha's portable recorder.

Sorry, but makes sense to me, too..

Good luck! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2003, 12:29 AM

Anybody who isn't into this stuff like us isn't going to get it. The cosmetics and the dog & pony show are part of the package. That's business.(A tuned room doesn't hurt either.)
80 G Seagate internal HD
60 G IBM Deskstar internal HD
40 G Buslink (Seagate)FW ext.HD
Old 01-12-2003, 12:35 AM

the software you're running is only a small part of the equation. If you're recording any sort of acoustic instrument (by acoustic, I mean anything that requires a mic including guitar amps), the room is important. So are the mics and preamps. The rest can be twiddled in PT, but if the signal getting to the box sucks, it doesn't matter what you're running...the sound will suck.
Old 01-12-2003, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DougSt.Louis:
[
Sorry for the Rant [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ranting is good but also learn from the experience.
It just one of the many things you learn to deal with when providing a service.
This is why I always try to get people to understand that you should run your studio like a business of you plan to work for others.
Even though most people looking for production have little or no studio logic they know what they have seen in another studio or a magazine (disclaimer; this is a generalized statement not truly based on fact not trying to insult anyone).
Don't forget if you do still do work for himto adjust the cost accordingly for working in your "real studio". [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2003, 07:10 AM

Properly tuned and treated rooms are hardly a cosmetics and the dog & pony show. All the greatest gear in the world does not make a studio "real". The essence of a good studio is the sound of the rooms. If your recording rooms don't have the sound they are looking for, no gear can compensate for that, and you can't "fix it in the mix". Likewise, if you don't have an accurate, properly treated control room, you have no way to hear what you are recording or mixing properly so as to have it translate to other systems (ie real world situations, car, home stero, boombox, etc.) properly.

I've heard some excellent recordings come out of basic gear in good rooms, but I've never heard anything acceptable come from poorly treated rooms.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:38 AM

I never said the room wasn't properly treated, it was. Besides, this was a favor for a friend, I don't advertise as a recording studio. This guy wanted to do a three song rap demo.

My Setup:
PT Mix Plus
Digi 001(For Location Recording)
G4 450 Dual Processor
Yamaha S80
Korg Triton
Roland DS50 Monitors
AT 4050 Condenser
Neuman Condenser
Pro Control
Tascam CDRW700
Avalon Compressor/Pre
Old 01-12-2003, 10:03 AM

A: Don't call your studio "your house" even if it is in your house. If it's a professional studio, call it a studio. Calling it a house makes it sound like mom's baking cookies in the back.

B: Don't say "Well, I've got protools, we're just doing a demo." That makes it sound like if you weren't doing a demo, you'd want something better.
http://www.1011productions.com
Old 01-12-2003, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DougSt.Louis:
My Setup:
PT Mix Plus
Digi 001(For Location Recording)
G4 450 Dual Processor
Yamaha S80
Korg Triton
Roland DS50 Monitors
AT 4050 Condenser
Neuman Condenser
Pro Control
Tascam CDRW700
Avalon Compressor/Pre
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sorry if this sounds harsh, but 2 mics and one outboard mic preamp is not a professional collection.