Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2010, 04:13 PM

Default I can't see any words

I just installed pro tools and the first thing that happened was a quickstart error... well I downloaded the fix in this forum and solved that problem.

Then, when finally pro tools opened for the first time, it opened without any words in it at all. I can see a mixing board background background, and at the very top of this picture it says "quick-start." but that's all it says. other than that I have a series of text-less boxes which I can click on, but I do so completely blindly. Also in the menu at the top, the only menu items I can toggle are "Hide pro tools," "Hide others," and "Services." these are all under the "Pro-tools SE" heading.

Please help.

Thanks
Old 12-11-2010, 09:57 PM

Default Re: I can't see any words

Try this for starters, It helped me alot and I think it will help you also.
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=193636

Pay attention to the " information you need to provide when posting. "
Dig in!
Old 12-12-2010, 12:19 AM

the only info I can add after reading that is that I have a Macbook with osX 10.6.3, and just brought a m-audio fasttrack, which means I have Pro Tools SE

As to explaining in detail what I'm doing when the error happens, it happens after I installed the program and opened it for the first time. I've reinstalled, I've done searches and all of that but not having words is kind of a strange error. Only one other person reported such a thing and that was specific to the karioke setting.

Does anyone have any suggestions? this issue seems local to my quick-start menu, once in songs, in theory, I will be able to work, but having to learn how to use quick-start blind will I expect be a huge pain.

Last edited by osi; 12-12-2010 at 07:50 AM. Reason: adding more info
Old 12-12-2010, 11:01 AM

What version of PT are you using? 9?

Have you added any tracks to the session?

Are you talking about the task bar at the top of the screen or dialog blocks in the PT body?

Or do you mean that the channel strips are blank?

Need more info.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:18 AM

PT 9.

I mean that on the version I have when you open it a quickstart menu comes up, presumably with things like: "Open session template Songwriting" or "play demo" or "Open saved session" and things like that in it for options.

Only mine doesn't HAVE words so i can't see what those options are, I'm speculating.

Would that be the dialouge boxes, or the channel strips? It really is hard to say because I can't see anything.

Now when I blindly click on stuff-- and here's the problem that's making we want to give up on it and just go back to crappy garageband-- I can get into the templates, such as songwriting. It will ask me to save new project as: "songwriting," say, and when I click ok, it begins to generate/open a new project, but freezes.

I've more or less decided that I don't get along with protools, basically. Sorry for the lack of specificity, but this is like trying to describe a problem you literally can't see.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:18 PM

Take a screenshot: Shift Command 4 will turn your cursor into a reticle, highlight the part of the screen that is giving you the issue, and a picture should appear on your desktop.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Avid

This sounds like corrupt font files. You can try using FontBook or Linotype Font Xplorer X to see if you can repair them. Otherwise you may have to reinstall fonts from your OS install DVD.