Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2004, 09:13 AM

Default REASON & PRO TOOLS MIDI QUESTION

I am all good with my one aux track and midi track in pro tools to get my sample out of reason. sounds great. then, i want to lay down another sample and everytime i set up the new track i see the audio in the new midi #2 channel but nothing is coming out through the aux. Silence. Do i set up another aux track for the new midi track? Do I route it differently?? Sorry if its such an dumb question but I am new to midi. THANKS!!
Old 06-21-2004, 09:29 AM

Default Re: REASON & PRO TOOLS MIDI QUESTION

where is the MIDI being sent from that track (what channel?) is it going into reason, or somehwere else?
Old 06-21-2004, 09:32 AM

It is from reason from a different sampler in the rack.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:49 AM

You can actually make separate aux tracks up to 64 with REASON and the REWIRE plug. (Yes, 64 different outputs of REWIRE for one REASON session) Try doing it with REDRUM. Take the individual outputs and bypass the REASON mixer all together. Drag the single output up to one of the 64 inputs at the top. IE: Kick output goes to input 3 at the tops. Then in Pro tools, take a MONO aux track, bring up REWIRE and assign it to that specific output. In this case Output 3. You then can use the Pro Tools fader as your mixer for each kit piece and add plugins to that specific sound. You can also write the midi with a separate MIDI track for the drums. Very versatile systems when used in Pro Tools. You can do that with everything in Reason too.

Make sense?

- Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 06-21-2004, 11:51 AM

Doc - How do you like rewiring Reason into Pro Tools? Do you find the Pro Tools plugins add nice variety to your Reason modules?
Old 06-21-2004, 12:15 PM

Mark,
I like the ability to not only route individual plugs to the drums, but you can also send them individually to a outboard unit like my PCM-90 or the Eventide. To top it off, it save me from having to use up inputs. When you bouuce to disk, all tracks are brought it and mixed you know. Just really opens it up some......

It is nice to use WAVES plugs on the loops too.

- Doc

Monument Sound Facebook

Old 06-21-2004, 04:25 PM

Doc - That's great news. I have been using Reason since 1.0 and it has become my main application for writing music (since v2.5). Occassionally I'll use other soft synths or hardware, but I've come to know Reason so well I feel most comfortable with it. I've been traveling around with a Dell Latitude and using a Dell Dimension in the studio but all of that is about to radically change. The new laptop (15.2" Powerbook 1.5, fully loaded) will arrive this week and will become my new portable Reason/Live setup. I have chosen Pro Tools/002R (I'm a mouse pusher) as my main hardware/software application for recording in the studio. I've been chasing after this setup for quit a while but had to finish some legacy projects first. All is in the clear and shortly I will get my hands on a nice G5. I just purchased a 23" Cinema display for the days I'm in the studio with the Powerbook. Dual display will come in handy on the Powerbook. I'm looking forward to finally being on the Mac platform and having tight integration with all my favorite applications.

MarkH
Old 06-21-2004, 04:49 PM

Mark,
Glad I could help. It is pretty sweet how you can do that. I find it easier to control then dumping back into Reason all the time.

Good deal on the Monitor setup. I use those in the 3D environment and they are nice. However, I am a P.C. guy, but saw this post and figured I would reply. Music is Music... I am not a G5 fan at all, but that is not a big deal, and not worth getting into on here. Just A/B'd them against a sup'd up PC box for 3D apps and the PC killed it. Again, not a post to get on, just not a fan of the mac. Funny actually because I use them a lot and am a graphics guy by trade, but prefer PC and use them more.

As for the monitors it is a great thing to use for sure! I actually use 3 with my Pro Tools setup. One is attached to a separate machine, but with Maxivista www.maxivista.com I can utilize the third monitor. So in reality I have a 19, 21, and a 19. Tons of space. Pics on my site too... Gotta let them cache and then they will load up. LINUX server

Anyways, good luck with Reason. That routing is really a cool feature that not a lot of guys use as far as I know???

- Doc

Monument Sound Facebook

Old 06-21-2004, 05:35 PM

Mark,
I made two session templates that you can see what I was talking about with the drums. You will need to load your own samples, but tab over on REASON and you will see what I was getting at witht he wiring. I will have more templates on my site in the HELP section later. Starting to build them.

Here is the PRO TOOLS TEMPLATE
PRO TOOLS REASON 1

Here is teh REASON TEMPLATE
REASON RNS TEMPLATE FILE

You will need to create a new session folder and load the Pro Tools sesison and then it should load up REASON. Then load the REASON session. Hit Tab and you will see what I am getting at. Then in Pro Tools, look at the outputs and how they correspond in Rewire.

Hope this helps?

- Doc

Monument Sound Facebook