Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2008, 12:33 PM

Default Re: New Waves license idea TLC 90 days only.

A studio in the city here did get their Zero Downtime licenses after a theft. Of course, no automated system covered the eventuality, but a few phone calls got everything sorted. The company asked for an incident number to confirm with local police. Everything was sorted out within a few days.

Well... everything except for the vintage gear that was in the same room as the iLok's.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneinapond View Post
Agreed, and a step in the right direction. Hopefully there will be some kind of reminder option because I know I won't remember.

I spoke to Pace when I signed up for Downtime and if memory serves they said that the insurance claim was needed in the event a company did not support their program.

And to your statement that people will be making claims constantly - a police report is required, insurance fraud is a crime, and if an iLok keeps getting stolen, then I'm afraid that there is no help for such an individual.
Yes, one is a paid service to get you back up and running temporarily, the other is to solve the problem of lost/stolen assets.

The 7 day overlap should solve the people who forget. When's the last time you went 7 days without internet access while working?

I would love to hear if anyone has ever gotten a company to replace a stolen asset, assuming they have a police report. Anyone?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drenkrom View Post
A studio in the city here did get their Zero Downtime licenses after a theft. Of course, no automated system covered the eventuality, but a few phone calls got everything sorted. The company asked for an incident number to confirm with local police. Everything was sorted out within a few days.

Well... everything except for the vintage gear that was in the same room as the iLok's.
Good to hear. Care to tell us which companies? That would certainly be a selling point IMO.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:59 PM

Wow. More proof that you don't buy Waves software.

You merely rent it.

I don't need such a close relationship with my plugin provider. Take my money and go away.

Quote:
TLC is available at no additional cost to V6 bundles with a minimum of 6 months of Waves Update Plan coverage remaining.
Looks like one more way to keep us all WUPed as much as possible.

You can only WUP for a year now. So now you can WUP, do this TLC twice, then you have to WUP again?

Are they kidding?
Old 12-16-2008, 06:03 PM

Waves finds another way to alienate its customers. Unbelievable.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiaudio View Post
Waves finds another way to alienate its customers. Unbelievable.
Not sure what you mean ? This is an option for you, nothing mandatory. Lots of customers have been asking for this. This is a great solution for anyone traveling with iLoks.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:08 PM

It's an offensive, pinch-hearted solution and piss-poor customer service. Why not simply attach the protection to WUP so that when your WUP runs out your protection runs out. Then no need for the extra sign-up procedure, the forfeiture of your current iLok license for a license that must be renewed and reloaded onto your iLok every three months, etc.. The fact that it is an option doesn't ameliorate the offensiveness of the offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchmuzik View Post
Not sure what you mean ? This is an option for you, nothing mandatory. Lots of customers have been asking for this. This is a great solution for anyone traveling with iLoks.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:31 PM

I don't see anything wrong with having this as an option. I probably won't use it. I see this as Waves taking a step forward in trying to be better at their customer service. If we choose not to do this plan, then we are exactly where we were before. I don't get all the frustration. I'll be first to admit the poor customer service from Waves, but I think some of us are either not understanding what this is, or just simply want to hate it because waves has slapped them in the face before.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 12-17-2008, 12:21 AM

Of course what it does mean is that if Burglar Bill pinches your iLok he can only use it for 3 months before all the Waves plugs stop working. Maybe they will like them so much that they'll go out and buy the software. Oh, and get nicked in the process...

On the one hand, a great idea, on the other hand I don't need any extra admin, thanks.

All the best
Warren
www.warrengreveson.com
www.myspace.com/warrengreveson
Old 12-17-2008, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
It's an offensive, pinch-hearted solution...
What are we smoking here that is killing off brain cells? Do we not remember the threads about THEFT or LOSS of iLoks and the hoops that the victims must jump through?

Does every single one of us have full no-deductible insurance that will cover our iLok in case of LOSS due to stupidity (I left it somewhere and I can't remember what happened to it) ? I don't have this kind of insurance. My insurance has a $1000 deductible. Fine for a total loss, but no-way would I ever make a claim for even $10k - since premiums would probably double after one loss.

Waves is offering us an OPTION - for those who don't mind a few minutes of geekdom 4 times a year - in-lieu of the cost of insuring your plugs.

This is a no-brainer to me. Count me in.