Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2010, 11:33 PM

Default Re: Convince me PT was not a mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I do intend to upgrade. I dont really want to use a laptop forever. Mostly I am after basic functionality. My track count is averaging 6-8 so not too bad. Some preliminary mixing has already been done, so my plug in list should be lean. Would running xp on this system solve this problem? or just get me a little further up the river only to encounter something else?

I run PT on an HP laptop with a T7500 2.20 duo core. I went back to XP and use a 2nd audio drive and consistently get 32 tracks no problem. I printed out the optimization guide and did everything they suggested, and have no problems. My i7 laptop with Win 7.....................whole 'nother story.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:48 PM

In all of my time on the DUC I doubt that I have ever seen anyone so intent on not understanding...

Your computer is the main problem as I stated earlier.. You can install XP, win7, Vista, or even dos 5.0 if you want and PT is STILL not going to run right...

Quit bellyaching about what you have and have not read and read the requirements.. first and foremost you will need a SECOND drive to record to, NOT the OS drive.. That means that you NEED ANOTHER DRIVE! partitioning will not do it, you will still have errors. But this is only the first step.. regardless of what OS you are going to use you will STILL need to configure your bios and your OS to run PT. Period.

There is NO ambiguity in anything I've said to you... in any of my posts.

Hoestly, if you cannot find power options in Win7 you will not be able to configure your setup properly. This is going to take patience and some effort on your part, (not just asking someone else to tell you how it's done).

Good luck with it all.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 04-18-2010, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
In all of my time on the DUC I doubt that I have ever seen anyone so intent on not understanding...

Your computer is the main problem as I stated earlier.. You can install XP, win7, Vista, or even dos 5.0 if you want and PT is STILL not going to run right...

Quit bellyaching about what you have and have not read and read the requirements.. first and foremost you will need a SECOND drive to record to, NOT the OS drive.. That means that you NEED ANOTHER DRIVE! partitioning will not do it, you will still have errors. But this is only the first step.. regardless of what OS you are going to use you will STILL need to configure your bios and your OS to run PT. Period.

There is NO ambiguity in anything I've said to you... in any of my posts.

Hoestly, if you cannot find power options in Win7 you will not be able to configure your setup properly. This is going to take patience and some effort on your part, (not just asking someone else to tell you how it's done).
I dont know how else to say this politely. GO AWAY. It is clear from reading that nonsense that you havnt even been reading all my posts. Forgive me if I havnt mastered win7's new interface. If I had all the answers I wouldnt be here. What would you have me do other than ask people for advice on a tech forum? What would you have anyone do on a tech forum other than "ask someone else how its done"? If you think I need to put some effort into configuration than explain how, and in what way. Or I suppose you could continue to try and insult me. I will never understand what it is people like you get out of creating confrontation where there isnt any on the internet.
If you are not going to be helpful then GO AWAY. I hope there is no ambiguity in that....
Old 04-18-2010, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork_ View Post
I wouldn't go there. Get XP and Pro Tools 8.01 going and take it from there.

As a side note, I have been running Pro Tools glitch free apart from two episodes... I had a motherboard failure so I swapped it with a new one with an Nvidia chipset. Pro Tools ran like a sick pig. Changed motherboards back to an intel one and decided to dual boot with XP and Windows 7, and it ran sweet again until the hard drive started failing. I was going to have a go at running on Windows 7 but have decided to stick with XP and now Pro Tools is sweet as a nut.
Roger that. Seemed like it was a pipe dream. I will roll back to 8.01 then. I have read on some other thread Nvidia can cause a lot of problems with PT. Staying with xp is probably the way to go. Before I posted here I cruised like 2 dozen other threads with people posting issues of one variety or another involving win7/vista. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:35 AM

8.01 and XP of course!

There seem to be plenty around who are running Windows 7 with no problem, but as you're not one of them it's a good move to try XP.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:05 AM

Suit yourself.. my system works. I gave you every answer you needed in my very first post to you..
(Edit: I thought I might add a bit to this response)

Firstly, as almost all of the first posts pointed out, your computer in it's present condition was not going to work without giving you errors... When I pointed out the help us help you threads, it was so that you would see for yourself what the actual shortcomings were and how you could remedy them... not to be churlish.

Secondly, you seem intent on going back to XP.. (a wise move in my own opinion), yet you seem to overlook that I pointed out by not having a properly configured computer, it still will not work. You are going to be even more unhappy than you currently are when it doesn't work the way you want it to. You need 2 physical drives. And that is only the begining. By reading the linked material ( you said: Your right I didnt read every single "before you post" thread, but believe me I have spent a fair amount of the last week reading jargon and gibberish on a cross section of sites from avid official to gearslutz), would have saved you that week and at best you would have had your answers in an hour or two at most. You would have had answers and solutions.

You said: The notion that this system is unmoddable to run pro tools is inaccurate as best. It is running pro tools, just not effectively enough to do anything useful. If it's not effective or useful, it's no good, (for what you are trying to do). Period.

Using 7.4 on a Mac in somone elses studio (which I'm sure that they took the time to properly configure), is not the same as what you are trying to do. You asked for advice, was given it, but when it didn't suit what you wanted to hear you've ignored it and been 'pissy' in your responses... Some of the folks helping you have records that are played on the radio every day... you might ought to take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth for awhile. Most of these guys are pretty smart when it comes to this stuff. Some have been using PT since it first came out. Just sayin.

I will offer you a piece of advice that you may or may not like.. but it's given sincerely and without acridity.. Since you have the computer that you have, and seem unwilling or unable to change that right now, go and buy Reaper. Less than 5 MB, performance and value WAY beyond it's price.. Best of all, you can d/l and install it in less than 5 minutes and be working error free. It's not PT but it will do what you need for next to nothing and no more headaches.

I'm not trying to drive you out of here, or be a d**khead, or sell Reaper.. I'm offering advice.. I'm a guy that has gone through what you are going through and I have offered suggestions on how you can make your way through it and fully use the product that you have.. there are other ways of course, but they're all heading down the same road...

So, good luck and God bless.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 04-18-2010, 04:02 AM

Let's settle down
Old 04-18-2010, 07:02 AM

This may have to go down as one of the most backwoods and bizzare tech threads I have ever been a part of...and that's coming from a guy who's been in IT for over 20 years. Several correct answers are here, it's up to the client now....hobos withdraw and regroup!
Old 04-18-2010, 09:18 AM

The fact that he apparently used his real email address as his forum name says a lot. The spam bots are going to have a field day. Lots for this one to learn, I'm afraid.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netnoggin View Post
The fact that he apparently used his real email address as his forum name says a lot. The spam bots are going to have a field day. Lots for this one to learn, I'm afraid.
I said that @ the beginning of the thread but it hasn't been acknowledged...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)