Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2001, 07:02 AM

Default need help on synchronization...please

hi. i have a roland vs-890 and want to transfer tracks from it to pro tools using digi001 digitally. i'm using an s/pdif optical cable to do this. i understand that i can only transfer two tracks at a a time. i was able to hear and record MANUALLY (pressing play on the roland then rec on protools)those two tracks going to protools but i have many tracks to transfer and if i do them manually i will have trouble aligning all the tracks right??

what i wanna do is as soon as i press play on the roland, protools records the two tracks automatically...in turn, there's no need for alignment. is this correct?

so i want to take advantage of the sync capabilities. but i don't know how to do it properly. to do this i understand that the roland would be the 'master' and protools the 'slave'..is this correct??? i fiddled around with them...read the manuals...the part on MTC, MMC was a little confusing...made sure sample rates where the same. in protools, went to Windows > Show Session Setup and made the following adjustments:

Generate time code:
MTC to Port: Digi001

Frame Rate: 30 FPS

on the transport, pressed the blue (sync) button...then the rec button. on the bottom left side where it says: transport = protools, my only choice to enable something is 'ProTools'...the midi, machine, mtc part on the ONLINE option are blurred out...press play on the vs...i get the 'waiting to sync' message but thats about it.

do i need a MIDI cable to do this??? i must be pretty ignorant if this is the only thing that's missing..hehe. cuz the only thing connecting the two is the optical s/pdif...if this is the case, how many midi cables do i need??? do i need two??? one going in digi and one going back to roland?

does anybody have the same setup and knows how to do this?? searched the forums for vs890 owners but no luck...i know its just an upgraded version of 880 so the process must be the same.

any help/advice would be appreciated...please excuse my lame questions...i know this is not really complicated...its just that i'm new to both systems... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
thanks.
Old 06-28-2001, 08:58 PM

Default Re: need help on synchronization...please

Hi Loserfriendly,

I have been trying to sync LE to my Adats using the ADAT/BRC. After reading the manual it appears that you can only use SMPTE time code and Pro tools as the master. If I am wrong, please advise me, but I believe this to be true.?
Old 06-28-2001, 10:09 PM

yeah...i figured out how to do it already...somebody from the vsplanet board helped me out...and i can only get it to work if pro tools is master...
Old 06-29-2001, 11:20 AM

You can use the DataSync2 from JL Cooper to sync them to Midi Time Code. It has the 9 pin sync plug on the back...then you run a midi cable from that to the 001. From what I've been told this is accurate to about 3 or 4 samples. If you wanted it better than that...you'd need to line it up by hand.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:16 PM

Hi there I know this is an old post but I thought it'd would be worth a shot. I'm wanting to sync my vs 890 to my 003. I came across this forum and was hoping that you could maybe post the link (if at all possible) to the vs planet forum where they showed you how this is done. Thanks!