Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2003, 08:59 AM

Default Problem W/ powerforce G4 upgrade

i have recently purchased the upgrade card and noticed that i could not boot from a boot up CD holding down C or selecting the start up disk. I spoke to thier CS people and they couldnt figure it out, they thought it might have something to do with the digi PCI card but i removed and still no go. Ive tried other cards from them and they all act the same, other then that it works great. I tried all the conventional tactics like xtentions on and off, i also tried booting from multiple disk drives and multiple disk ike the stock apple install cd and a norton cd. With all things being equal my machine boots with the stock card in it but not the upgrade

system config
originally G4 400 agp, 786m-ram, 3 western digital HD and a firewire external cdrw, only PCI card is the DIGI and the mac only has photoshop, protools and toast, jam, AOL

ne ideas?
Old 07-17-2003, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Problem W/ powerforce G4 upgrade

HI

I did your first 2 suggestions and no go. it starts to read from the cd then when the gray screen comes up which is usually followed by the MAC happy face well mine stops at the gray screen.

and no i did not put a new cdrom its actually the stock one

i have OS9.2.2 so you could be on to something with the lower version idea. Both disk that i have tried are 9.04 disks..hmmm how do i get a boot 9.2 disk?

i purchased their 1.2ghz series 100 card. The extra lil fan is mighty quite. the performance boost is great. i have a sesssion that i used which had 15 tracks not including a couple of auxes, and i ran 5 different stereo DVERBS and about 3 mono DVERBS not to mention some MCDSP stuff and it read half full on my system meters screen redraws were quick all this at 128 buffer..lol so in my book go for it.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:47 AM

I had the same issue trying to boot from a norton CD for defrag. If you have partition your HD as recommandd, just copy your system 9.2.2 on another partition (System Folder + Application) and chose this partition as a start up disk.
You can also make a start up CD out of your current system with Toast in the case you don't have another partition.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:49 AM

I had the same issue trying to boot from a norton CD for defrag. If you have partitionned your HD as recommanded by Digi, just copy your system 9.2.2 on another partition (System Folder + Application) and chose this partition as a start up disk.

You can also make a start up CD out of your current system with Toast in the case you don't have another partition.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:53 AM

Try booting holding option, see if your CD shows up as a selection to boot from.

Try setting the startup disk before you reboot, to your CD drive.

Did you replace your Internal CD Drive? If so, some drives wont boot if they're not "apple certfified." They'll burn, rip, copy and mount but not boot.

Maybe try another CD? If you have a jaguar install CD, try booting form that. With those upgrade cards in place you cant boot from anything less than OS 9.2.1...maybe your CD has 9.1 or 9.04.

Its hard to tell from here since I dont know exactly what you've covered already.

Good luck, BTW which card did you get? I'm close to buying one and was waiting for the 1.4GHz card to come out. I also have a G4-400 AGP, so I'm curious as to how your issue turns out. Let us know.
-Martin
Old 07-18-2003, 02:12 AM

you can't boot from an older version of Norton in 9.1, 9.2, or osx. You gotta have the newer version, norton utilities 8 or norton system works 3.

edwardo
Old 07-18-2003, 03:30 AM

DOODOO

i tried something similiar i copied my system hd to my other hd and i couldnt boot from it either im going to try and find a norton more disk i have 6.0