Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2011, 10:27 PM

Default Fades behaving badly.

Yesterday I was doing a session with regions with fades at the end. For some reason I cannot find the answer but the fades don't sound right. If I double click the fade to bring up the fade dialog box from which to choose various different fades the preview button plays the fade as expected but when I go back to the edit page it doesn't behave properly. Is there a setting somewhere or has anyone had this happen to them? I had a client watching me try to sort this out and I couldn't find the answer. My work around was to use automation. Not the most practical of solutions. BTW before that I had all automation turned off.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Fades behaving badly.

Quote:
fades don't sound right.
You're going to have to be more specific than that. Are they not decreasing in volume? Are they distorted? Does it sound like a bird in a blender? Something...

Also, post your system specs. Read the "Help Us Help You" thread if you're not sure what to post.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:39 AM

I already included my spec in the About me page but for some reason it doesn't show up in the thread.
Anyway you're right more specific is what's needed. The fades are decreasing in volume but not as quickly as they should. ie by the end of the region the audio is still audible.
I've tried various shapes but they all do the same in this particular session.
My specs are Mac Pro 2 x Dual 3 Ghz Xeon 8 GB Ram OSX 10.6.7 Pro Tools 9.0.3 Apogee Duet.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:37 AM

They get messed up once in a great while. Probably a disk hiccup rather than a program bug. The quickest fix is
  1. Close the session
  2. Trash the whole Fades folder
  3. Reopen the session and choose Regenerate Missing Fades Without Searching
That will force PT to write new fade files.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 07-15-2011, 12:43 PM

Depending On Whether You Have "Elastic Audio" Selected For Those Tracks, The Fades Will Sound A Little "Off".... You Need To Render Your Tracks By Turning Elastic Audio "Off" And "Committing" Once, You've Finished Editing...(Elastic Audio Takes Up A Ton Of CPU Power) Of Course, If Your Fades Are Sounding "Bad" Without Elastic Audio... That's Another "Long" Story... Bump Up Your Cache.... Turn Off Low Latency Monitoring, Make Sure Your Fades Are Long Enough/But, Not To Long.... Sorry, If This Isn't Much Help....
Old 07-15-2011, 07:02 PM

OK I've tried trashing the fades folder and regenerating without searching. made no difference I'm afraid. I suppose the best way to describe the problem is that the fade is not happening at full strength. Meaning when it reaches the end of the region it should be at 0db almost at the end and tail off nicely. What I'm hearing is audio right to the end of the region.
I am also not using any Elastic audio. Just plain old audio regions using the standard fades from within Preferences. Although the preview does play the fade correctly. That's what's confusing me.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:44 PM

That's a new one. In the words of a former employer of mine, "Nobody ever broke one o' them before."

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 07-15-2011, 07:55 PM

That is strange Huh?
Just off topic how do I get my specs included permanently in all my threads?. They are there when I click on my user name but don't seem to appear as yours does. Any tips?
Old 07-15-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by costa View Post
That is strange Huh?
Just off topic how do I get my specs included permanently in all my threads?. They are there when I click on my user name but don't seem to appear as yours does. Any tips?
Edit your signature
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!