Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2009, 01:55 PM
nordlig

Angry Mbox2 and Snow Leopard (OSX10.6)

Of cource i have a problem making Mbox2 and Snow Leopard work together. Here is what happens.

After i boot up and turn my monitor on, the Mbox2 works. I managed to install and start PT LE 7.3 but never recorded anything because it crashed. Of cource, as its not compatible with 10.6. and this is not the problem.

My problem is that I can not use the Mbox2 as system speaker for long either. The speakers will either turn silent, start echoing every sound unit unbearable, start poppin silently or shopping the sound while distoring it no matter what software i use Spotify, iTunes, VLC, Quicktime. I have to reboot, i dont know what process thats flipping out on my system.

My Macbook Pro often kernel panics when i shut down as well and i suspect the Mbox2 heavily. Its not like that when i remove it.

The drivers to Mbox2 came with PT LE and iLok (dont know witch), is there any update that just updates the driver and not PT LE thats free? I just want to use it as a system sound card or with garageband right now.

I need the Mbox to work as a system soundcard in 10.6, so i can listen to iTunes at least.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Mbox2 and Snow Leopard (OSX10.6)

A lack of support for Snow Leopard INCLUDES hardware. Meaning, your MBox probably won't work either, until there is an OFFICIAL RELEASE for it. Not only that, but 7.3 wasn't even qualified for use with "regular" Leopard (10.5) so you're working with drivers that are 2 full OS builds behind what you are using. Neither PT or your MBox will work properly under your current conditions. The newer builds of Pro Tools also include newer builds of the drivers necessary for the hardware to work properly. To even hope that your MBox will work, you'll need the latest, or close to latest, drivers from Digidesign.

If you intend to use the MBox WITHOUT Pro Tools, you will need to uninstall Pro Tools, and then install the latest STANDALONE drivers from the Digi website. However, even then there is no guaranteed success with Snow Leopard. Just be sure not to use both your old version of PT, and the new standalone drivers, since that is a recipe for even more problems.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-19-2009, 02:55 PM
nordlig

Thumbs up Re: Mbox2 and Snow Leopard (OSX10.6)

Although this is bad news for me its a huge step forward understanding the problem. I figured the answer would be somethinging like that so I upgraded PT LE to 7.4.2 (but without entering any serial) to see if any drivers where updated. Well nothing happened other than i can not start PT LE anymore. As I have searced the digi website for solutions i did not com across any standalone drivers. they are not listed in "my digi" either (not even 7.4.2 were there).

I will look harder for any stand alone drivers. Can you point me in the right direction? Do you know what the drivers are called?

Thank you!
Old 11-19-2009, 03:02 PM

Well, after doing a bit of searching myself, it doesn't appear that v8.x standalone drivers exist. The only ones that do are 7.4.2 at the latest. (which was the first qualified build for 10.5) You can try installing that by itself, but you might end up with the same results. I am kind of surprised there is no 8.x release of the standalone drivers, but I guess they're waiting until they finish the SL qualified build.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-19-2009, 03:14 PM
nordlig

Thank you, i will install the stand alone drivers for 7.4.2 and post back the results to this thread.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:35 PM

I just got Snow Leopard and MBOX2 to work. Update Snow Leopard to 10.6.1, and Pro Tools LE to 8.0.1. MBOX2 also works as my system audio output. As well as iTunes.

Stephen
Old 11-24-2009, 01:28 PM
nordlig

So, now i have tested the standalone drivers for 7.4.2 a bit. It is a difference, they work fairly well for using the MBOX2 as a system sound card and use garage band and iTunes or Spotify. I noticed some staggering but then i go into the sound part of system preferences and choose internal speakers in the sound out dialog and then back to mbox2 again. Sometimes when i change songs in a mediaplayer some noice happens but get fine after a glimpse of a second. Playing media from two sources is not a good idea either, its unstable sounding. Once i had to reboot because there was no sound at all. So fairly well =)

Glad you got it working with the newer version of PT! Damn it was not a free update..i hope the standalone drivers will be free for 10.6
Old 12-02-2009, 11:32 AM
nordlig

Well recently the driver dont work at all..all sounds echoes to infinity
Old 12-03-2009, 03:59 AM

Got to repeat what shtepy said.Just bought a 13" MBPand PT8.Updated both to latest and working fine.

Mick
Old 12-06-2009, 05:27 AM
nordlig

Ok, i got tired of this an got PT LE 8 from a friend. Installed it without the serial to get the drivers. I hope this will do it. I think its sad to not be able to get drivers like this when you buy a product for this kind of money. Its ok that the App will cost you an upgrade..but drivers, that is a more essential part of the product.