Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2023, 07:46 AM

Default An old favorite: reassign group ID letters

This seems like such an obvious miss, maybe it just pokes a strange aspect of my personality.

In a lot of my sessions, groups get created, groups get deleted as the project goes on. Problem is, you wind up with groups in the 2 range which, as far as I know, can't be accessed by letter when you have keyboard focus on groups, which is where mine lives. Then, even if you clean out the unused groups, and you have unused first-26 letters, you can't reassign groups to those letters.

Thoughts? Solutions? Workarounds?

Thanks,

Myles

System 2: 2021 M1 Mini 16Gb, OS 13.6, Native 2023.9, MH ULN-8 4d

http://www.mylescochran.com
Old 12-02-2023, 08:40 AM

Default Re: An old favorite: reassign group ID letters

Geez yes! From another thread I started ages ago:

"I don't know about anybody else, but the Group facilities in Pro Tools are feeling increasingly creaky. I'm dealing with 400-500 track sessions with orchestra/band/rhythm section/vocalists/percussion/etc, and I *really really* need a few things:

Ability to lasso multiple groups in the group bin and drag them up or down in the bin to re-arrange (like you can do with tracks in the track bin): when you've got 75 groups, and you add another orchestra pass (which needs its own set of say 20 additional sub-groups, trying to re-arrange those in the group bin so things are still clear is extremely time consuming since you can only move groups in the bin one...at...a...time. Also, the ability to nest groups the way you can nest tracks would be sensible.

Need to be able to detach the group palette (and the track palette for that matter) from the main window: When you start having a lot of tracks and a lot of groups, they increasingly crowd each other out for real-estate in the edit window and I'm having to constantly move the track/group bin divider up and down in order to see a decent amount of my groups or my tracks.

Ability to re-assign group 'keys' (the alphabetical assignment that a group gets) without having to destroy and re-create the group. For those of us who use Group Keyboard Focus as a quick way to enable / disable specific groups, this is critical since you can only access Groups this way in the first 26 single-key assignments.

I can't imagine I'm the only one who is finding this to be a real problem."

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 12-02-2023, 09:04 AM

Hi Rich! At least I'm in good company - didn't see your thread. My sessions are much smaller but I still spend too much time on something that seems like it should be pretty simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Geez yes! From another thread I started ages ago:

"I don't know about anybody else, but the Group facilities in Pro Tools are feeling increasingly creaky. I'm dealing with 400-500 track sessions with orchestra/band/rhythm section/vocalists/percussion/etc, and I *really really* need a few things:

Ability to lasso multiple groups in the group bin and drag them up or down in the bin to re-arrange (like you can do with tracks in the track bin): when you've got 75 groups, and you add another orchestra pass (which needs its own set of say 20 additional sub-groups, trying to re-arrange those in the group bin so things are still clear is extremely time consuming since you can only move groups in the bin one...at...a...time. Also, the ability to nest groups the way you can nest tracks would be sensible.

Need to be able to detach the group palette (and the track palette for that matter) from the main window: When you start having a lot of tracks and a lot of groups, they increasingly crowd each other out for real-estate in the edit window and I'm having to constantly move the track/group bin divider up and down in order to see a decent amount of my groups or my tracks.

Ability to re-assign group 'keys' (the alphabetical assignment that a group gets) without having to destroy and re-create the group. For those of us who use Group Keyboard Focus as a quick way to enable / disable specific groups, this is critical since you can only access Groups this way in the first 26 single-key assignments.

System 2: 2021 M1 Mini 16Gb, OS 13.6, Native 2023.9, MH ULN-8 4d

http://www.mylescochran.com
Old 12-02-2023, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Yes, please, to all of this.
It's such a cumbersome system when it should be really easy.
Old 12-02-2023, 12:27 PM

Very rarely am I mixing large sessions, but these points all make a great deal of sense.

I can imagine it is variably difficult, time-consuming, or not a top priority to recode the groups' functionality.

It would make a lot of sense for big sessions to potentially get reorganized like this.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 12-02-2023, 01:15 PM

I reported this as a bug ages ago. For some reason you indeed cannot reassign letters. As far as I can recall the drop-down lists with letters are actually there, but everything is grayed out so you cannot select another letter. I cannot believe this still hasn't been fixed.
Old 12-03-2023, 10:58 AM

+1

It is really limiting.
Old 01-26-2024, 01:11 AM

Hopefully fixed in 2024?
Old 01-26-2024, 07:33 AM

Another +1 to this!!
Old 01-27-2024, 05:37 AM

I feel sometimes the urge to sort the order of groups in my templates and had to live with it since ... ever

So, +1 on this