Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2008, 11:25 AM

Default Using an External Preamp

Hey everyone. I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this kind of question, but here goes.

I'm interested in purchasing a new tube mic pre. The question that i have, is how would I connect it to my Mbox (1)? Would I actually plug it into the instrument ins? Wouldn't I be preamping a preamp, then? In other words, how would I go about using a mic pre with my set up?

I'm sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but I just don't know how to use a preamp in my situation.

thanks for your patience with this old geezer. :)
Old 09-17-2008, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Using an External Preamp

Not to be mean, but, if you have to ask, I would save your money. Seriously though, you plug your mic into the preamp, take the line out of the preamp thru a balanced cable and go into the line input of the Mbox using a TRS plug. But, consider whether you will net an improvement in your recordings by spending money on gear that you are maybe not experienced enough to reap any benifit. Then there's the question about what mic you have and what pre you are thinking about. The recording will only be as good as the weakest link so using a cheap mic into a low-dollar preamp into an Mbox, is not likely to net you any tangible improvement. Now if you are going to plug a Neumann into a UA610 or API mic pre, that's different. Once again, no offense is intended here.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-17-2008, 07:08 PM

You could get a preamp with a S/PDIF out, plug that into the S/PDIF on the Mbox. That way you bypass the Mbox gain stage.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:36 AM

I have a AKG C414 into a Avalon 737 into the line input like albee said. I don't know which pre-amp your looking at but I also had to turn on the 'pad' on the Mbox cause without the pad, the gain was crazy hot coming out of the Avalon.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:37 PM

Nice reply. People like you get banned from the DUC. We see hundreds of newbies here and I DID take the time to offer that I meant no offense as I was assuming you may well have been a newbie due to the nature of your question and the fact that you have only 4 posts. Interesting how the most attitude seems to come from those with the least postings. I certainly will not offer any more suggestions. I wonder if anyone else WILL? Most audiophiles probably have a greater understanding of basic system engineering. Have a nice life

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave