Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2005, 09:55 AM

Default Re: RAM issues - A7V600-X, A7V880 & K8 Platforms

Quote:

I would also like to bring to attention some RAM issue I read about on socket 754 Athlon64 platforms. Tom's hardware had an entire test dedicated to compatibility issues with this cpu and they had a hard time mixing and matching the mobos and the RAM sticks in some situations. Although it's a little dated and it relates to socket 754 CPUs, it's a worthy read publised 07/02/2004: http://www20.tomshardware.com/mother...02/index.html. I am sensing that anybody willing to go over 1GB of RAM on the AMD platform should be very careful in mixing and matching. That's why I included this last bit although I don't own any 64-bit systems... For example if you own a K8V you are again out of luck! http://www.asus.com/999/download/pro...234/234_10.pdf Frankly this seems to be the weakest point with the AMD platform for DAW users: At times we need more thn a gig of RAM...

You can go over 1gb of ram on socket 754 motherboards depending what revision AMD chip you have. The memory controller is supposed to be upgraded on the "series E" chips (becoming available as we speak) to remedy the memory addressing problem. But the main problem people have had, with K8 series boards, from what I understand, is that using 3 sticks of memory the memory address speed drops. You don't get full DDR400 speed anymore.

You can also use 1gb sticks, but some argue that they are very taxing on the memory controller. No problem if you don't plan on overclocking, but I've certainly seen 2gb-stuffed K8 systems running with no problem.
esoteric music online
+++++++++++++++++
Old 04-20-2005, 03:43 PM

Quote:
You can go over 1gb of ram on socket 754 motherboards depending what revision AMD chip you have. The memory controller is supposed to be upgraded on the "series E" chips (becoming available as we speak) to remedy the memory addressing problem. But the main problem people have had, with K8 series boards, from what I understand, is that using 3 sticks of memory the memory address speed drops. You don't get full DDR400 speed anymore.

You can also use 1gb sticks, but some argue that they are very taxing on the memory controller. No problem if you don't plan on overclocking, but I've certainly seen 2gb-stuffed K8 systems running with no problem.
That's great. All I want to mention is that if there is such a limitation with certain AMD setups 32 or 64 bit, than this wonderful thread "Best desktops for PTLE" would be even more complete if Allen could mention on the first post that one should mind to get an AMD chip with such and such stepping etc. Don't get me wrong, I am not having any stability issues with my budget Allenstein setup and I am happy with it as far as it goes: 32+16-18 @2.4GHz... It's just that I am a little frustrated to find out that I can't go over a gig of RAM with the A7V600-X now that I need to...

I am sorry that we all have to put up with this limitation with certain setups. Well you can't get it all at once can you. If you go the Intel way you have limitations in terms of processing power and with AMD you seem to get memory limitations unless you are very careful with mixing and matching chips and sticks and boards...

Peace.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:53 PM

The 939 pin boards support up to 4 gb. of ddr400.
Command/8
PTLE 7.1 MPT
www.clearspotrecording.com
Old 04-20-2005, 07:50 PM

Quote:
The 939 pin boards support up to 4 gb. of ddr400.
Not at DDR 400, though. You'll lose a lot of memory speed with 4 chips, unless you have a stepping E (I think... someone correct me if I'm wrong!)

You actually do get 3gb capacity on the 754 mobos - it's just going to be slow.
esoteric music online
+++++++++++++++++
Old 04-20-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Best Desktops for PTLE

Quote:
Thanks very much for your help and support Dr. Allen Hallada and AMD-Users.

Not sure if that was meant to be sarcastic or if you were being authentic here? Did I miss something?
How is your computer running?

Allen
Old 04-20-2005, 09:29 PM

Default Re: Best Desktops for PTLE help help help

Quote:
Hi Allen.

I´ve got problems with my protools LE. I´m using digi001 and PC, The softwere that I´ve got is for Mac. I borowed the protools LE 6.1 for PC from a friend but the Authorization code didn´t work. How do I get a authorization code that works? Can I download the program from the net?

Your friend Mr micke - Sweden
Call Digi tech support.

Allen
Old 04-20-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Best Desktops for PTLE

Quote:
hey allen maybe u can give me some advice since noone else has so far,pls.
i have a p4 chip w/ an intel d875pbz mobo, 1024 ram, hitachi 80g hdd all encased in a antec2 tower. the raid and hypthrd is off and the ptle still freezes when i gets to installing the drivers.WHAT AM I DOING WRONG or is the computer just not compatible. i also have an msi 915p combo mobo i purchased. i also wanna know is that a good mobo. pls give ur helpful advice cuz i see u give others very good advice as well.
Do a search on the compatibility pages for these chipsets or call Digi. I'm betting the 915 will work.

Allen
Old 04-20-2005, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Hi All,

I have the budget Allenstein setup with XP 3200+ and 1GB of TwinMos standard RAM. There is something I would like to bring to the attention of potential buyers. On their product page, Asus posts a memory qualification table http://www.asus.com/999/download/pro...224/224_10.pdf for this motherboard which only gives you the ability to go up to 1GB of RAM. I myself have tried to go above this with no success. First of all this board seems to be very picky with RAM. For example it didn't even boot with the 2 sticks of Kingston 512MB value-ram that I had tried when I first bought it. Then I had to switch to TwinMOS since I can't get a hold on Microns where I live. BTW I need more than a gig of RAM because of the drum sampler that I use: dfH Superior. I truly recommend this beast!

Questions:
1. Is there anybody out there who have had success with more than a gig of RAM with this mobo.
2. Allen, if this is a situation we have to live with, wouldn't it be a good idea for you to mention this limitation on your recommendation for the budget PC? From my experience the 3GB spec is just a big fat joke!
3. I have recently tried to upgrade the mobo to A7V880 (VIA KT880 chipset, dual channel DDR400, AGP/PCI lock (supposedly - I don't trust this really)). Boy I had huge RAM issues again. I went back to my old board for now to keep the music going but I haven't given up yet. Is there anybody out there who had some experience with this board?

I would also like to bring to attention some RAM issue I read about on socket 754 Athlon64 platforms. Tom's hardware had an entire test dedicated to compatibility issues with this cpu and they had a hard time mixing and matching the mobos and the RAM sticks in some situations. Although it's a little dated and it relates to socket 754 CPUs, it's a worthy read publised 07/02/2004: http://www20.tomshardware.com/mother...02/index.html. I am sensing that anybody willing to go over 1GB of RAM on the AMD platform should be very careful in mixing and matching. That's why I included this last bit although I don't own any 64-bit systems... For example if you own a K8V you are again out of luck! http://www.asus.com/999/download/pro...234/234_10.pdf Frankly this seems to be the weakest point with the AMD platform for DAW users: At times we need more thn a gig of RAM...

Cheers.

PS: If you think I would get better response if I post this elsewhere please let me know...
I'm glad you posted this. I was going to get rid of that board after the last person had issues with ram. I don't recommend over 1GB of ram for PTLE, but with these new pig pluggins maybe it is time we look into more ram. 99% of users get by easily with 1GB of ram still. I'll change it to the A7V600. You should be fine with that A7V880 though. Maybe it is just your ram?

Allen
Old 04-20-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Re: H/W Buffer size???

Quote:
Ok, so I got the Allenstien machine exactly as recommended on the first page. I did all the tweaks recommended on that thread as well, and I can't get Pro Tools to work w/ anything under 256 for the H/W buffer size. What else do I need to do to fix this particular problem? With a computer this fast, I shouldn't have to deal w/ a delay problem. Can anyone help please?
Set Windows XP as Standard PC. You can do this without reinstalling XP, but I forgot how that is done. You may want to check the new Coniguration thread started by Digi. Also, be sure you have at least 1GB of ram installed.

Allen
Old 04-21-2005, 01:39 AM

Default Re: Best Desktops for PTLE help help help

Dr. Hallada: I think the problem is my english, it's terrible!!!, and I think yours impresion are the oppisite than I woulk like to see. If someone feels offended, is not my intention. I use a translation software to expresive my doubt. Please, I would like that to understand my situation.

I'm so sorry for my english, sorry!!!