Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2004, 07:00 AM

Default Re: Best Desktops for PTLE

Hi Allen

So, I've been enjoying the ease of use and power of my Allen-suggested computer for a while now (geez, sounds like I'm talking about a new car). Anyway, I've been having issues with PTLE 6.1 (sucky) since the start, and though Rail has been a big help, I still haven't found the cause of the task window assertions. Anyway, I'm thinking about doing an uninstall, clean install, then upgrade to 6.1.1 this weekend. My question for you is this: I've got the SIIG 3-port, and am wondering if there's any reason why I should switch to the Adaptec 4300? I haven't seen any posted complaints about the SIIG, but admittedly I haven't been looking. I'm also considering switching to a FW external drive, but should that come later on...

While I've got you reading, what's the strongest processor I can hook up to the a7v8x-x? I've got the xp2500 barton, and don't know if it would be worth it to put in the fastest that the board can support.

By the way, this computer works flawlessly with the new version of Sibelius (notational software), Native kontact silver, and the digi asio driver. Sweet!

Thanks

paul
Old 03-12-2004, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Final Check... Allen??

Hey allen...new user to protools and the forum...i am contemplating whether to stay with PC(i've been a PC user for all of my life) or switch to MAC when considering which platform I should run my 002R setup.

I've been reading up on all your test results with the various PC setups but I was wondering if you could compare those results to the best MAC setup.

I would appreciate any and all information you could give me as this decision has become harder than I had imagined. It's hard because the local digidesign rep in the Boston area said I was "nuts" in even contemplating running ProTools on a PC. I just want to make the best decision...ya know? Thanks...
Old 03-15-2004, 08:06 AM

I ended up with 32+4 tracks running a asus a7v600, amd 2500+ with 1024 ram. Not bad, Im sure I could tweak it and get more but not sure how to monitor temp? I figured out how to change the processor speed in the bios, cause when I first got this thing built I had alot of troubles getting off the ground. Anyways once I got it all straight I found my pc was only running at 1ghz and should have been set at 1.83ghz grrrr. (but its straight now) I'm affraid to set the processor any faster cause I still havent found how to monitor the temp on this thing and what is a safe operating temp when I do locate it. If anyone can tell me where the temp is located and what is a safe temp for my processor I would appreciate it.

Btw the guy who came over and showed me the basics to protools is a die hard mac user but a pissed off one when he saw the results of the dave c test because he could have saved some money and went with pc instead of mac and got better peformance and plus bought that vintech he is wanting with the left over change. lol
He is a friend of mine, maybe I can talk him into coming over to the darkside.

Peace
Eddie
Old 03-15-2004, 06:56 PM

There are freeware programs for monitoring motherboard temperatures - but a better bet: there may also be a program that came with the ASUS CD when you bought the motherboard (assuming you bought it retail). I just bought a K8V and it came with a program which runs in Windows XP that monitors both CPU and motherboard temperature, as well as CPU, power supply, and chassis fan speeds. It was a little hard to find on the CD - poke around a bit. Also check ASUS's website.

One of the most popular programs for tweakers is Sandra - do a google search and download. It does performance testing as well as provide statistics on the temperatures. There's a free version that runs fine.

Hope this helps,
esoteric music online
+++++++++++++++++
Old 03-15-2004, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Hi Allen

So, I've been enjoying the ease of use and power of my Allen-suggested computer for a while now (geez, sounds like I'm talking about a new car). Anyway, I've been having issues with PTLE 6.1 (sucky) since the start, and though Rail has been a big help, I still haven't found the cause of the task window assertions. Anyway, I'm thinking about doing an uninstall, clean install, then upgrade to 6.1.1 this weekend. My question for you is this: I've got the SIIG 3-port, and am wondering if there's any reason why I should switch to the Adaptec 4300? I haven't seen any posted complaints about the SIIG, but admittedly I haven't been looking. I'm also considering switching to a FW external drive, but should that come later on...

While I've got you reading, what's the strongest processor I can hook up to the a7v8x-x? I've got the xp2500 barton, and don't know if it would be worth it to put in the fastest that the board can support.

By the way, this computer works flawlessly with the new version of Sibelius (notational software), Native kontact silver, and the digi asio driver. Sweet!

Thanks

paul
Hey Paul,
There are definitely some bugs in 6.1 yet. I'm still using 5.3 in the studio as I don't have time to deal with errors that people are complaining about here and I don't use Reason yet. Sounds like you are on the right path here though. Rail really recommends the Adaptec FW card , but I haven't seen anyone having problems with the SIIG card yet. I think they both work fine.
Check www.asus.com website for fastest processor with that motherboard. XP2500+ should be plenty and you can overclock it to 2.2-2.5Ghz for even more juice. I run my XP2100 at 2.0 Ghz all the time with no problems.

Good luck,
Allen
Old 03-15-2004, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Final Check... Allen??

Quote:
Hey allen...new user to protools and the forum...i am contemplating whether to stay with PC(i've been a PC user for all of my life) or switch to MAC when considering which platform I should run my 002R setup.

I've been reading up on all your test results with the various PC setups but I was wondering if you could compare those results to the best MAC setup.

I would appreciate any and all information you could give me as this decision has become harder than I had imagined. It's hard because the local digidesign rep in the Boston area said I was "nuts" in even contemplating running ProTools on a PC. I just want to make the best decision...ya know? Thanks...
I think the current Allenstein system listed is the best system we have ever put together so far for PTLE in terms of speed, power, stability, and PTLE mixing abilities. The processing power on that system is about 70-100% more than the current dual G5 systems and about 2200.00 less in price. There are still a couple plugins that are Mac only though and that is hard for some people to leave. And the Mac interface is still different from Windows XP. Shortcuts are the big difference. When I use Windows I never use shortcuts, but use them all the time on my Mac. Mouse functions just seem faster on the Windows machine so I guess that is why I don't use the keyboard shortcuts. Don't see any need for them.

Allen
Old 03-16-2004, 03:21 PM

Quote:

Check www.asus.com website for fastest processor with that motherboard. XP2500+ should be plenty and you can overclock it to 2.2-2.5Ghz for even more juice. I run my XP2100 at 2.0 Ghz all the time with no problems.

Good luck,
Allen
I'd add to this: see if you can find an XP2500+ which is "unlocked." AMD is now shipping factory-locked processors in their Barton line, meaning that they can't run at higher frequency multipliers and offer fewer configurable options for the BIOS. However, some vendors still have "unlocked" processors available.
esoteric music online
+++++++++++++++++
Old 03-17-2004, 09:01 PM

Allen or anyone,

This thread has gotten way too big to successfully search, so I'll just ask instead of hunting any more:

Has anyone tried the Extreme P4's (2meg L3 cache) or any dual setups on the PC side with marked advantages? What kind of davecs do they get? I'm not personally in the market right now, but the studio I work for might be...so I'm naturally curious.

-Chris
Old 03-17-2004, 09:08 PM

Hey Allen

What's the real-world difference between the ADS Pyro and the ADS Dual drive enclosures that you have listed? Does the 911 2nd generation make a huge difference? I just got a WD 120g and want to build an external drive...

paul
Old 03-18-2004, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Hey Allen

What's the real-world difference between the ADS Pyro and the ADS Dual drive enclosures that you have listed? Does the 911 2nd generation make a huge difference? I just got a WD 120g and want to build an external drive...

paul
Hey Paul,
I'm not familiar with the ADS Dual drive enclosures and I haven't seen any real world testing on the 1st vs. 2nd generation Oxford 911 chipsets. I do know that the Bytecc enclosures at www.newegg.com have been working well with the WD and Hitachi 8MB cache drives so that is what I'd be buying. I think you can get them for even less if you follow the links on the Best Desktop for PTLE thread , first post. I do like Newegg's service though.

Allen