Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2024, 11:38 PM

Default Why uses the demo session - not sure it's worth downloading them in every installer?

(sorry the thread title was supposed to be "Who uses.." not "Why uses...").

So who uses the two demo sessions that are bundled with Pro Tools?

I occasionally use Low Roar, so not using the two that are bundled, but they could all just be made available as separate downloads.

The two demo sessions in the current Pro Tools installer take 477 MB on disk once installed or take about 283 MB compressed into the .pkg installer (out of 5,163 MB total in the whole dmg that contains the .pkg). So ~ 5.5% wastage.

This is for stuff that most users will never touch, and it's download every time anybody downloads the Pro Tools installer, even those Intro and Artist users, who sure have no use for say an Atmos demo. All that just wasting space and bandwidth. Avid why... ?

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-13-2024 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-13-2024, 06:13 AM

Default Re: Why uses the demo session - not sure it's worth downloading them in every install

Good point - I never use them.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 03-13-2024, 07:24 AM

Default Re: Why uses the demo session - not sure it's worth downloading them in every install

I never use them. Can we simply move the Demo Sessions folder to the trash to get that 477 MB back ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 03-13-2024, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
(sorry the thread title was supposed to be "Who uses.." now "Why uses...").

So who uses the two demo sessions that are bundled with Pro Tools?

I occasionally use Low Roar, so not using the two that are bundled, but they could all just be made available as separate downloads.

The two demo sessions in the current Pro Tools installer take 477 MB on disk once installed or take about 283 MB compressed into the .pkg installer (out of 5,163 MB total in the whole dmg that contains the .pkg). So ~ 5.5% wastage.

This is for stuff that most users will never touch, and it's download every time anybody downloads the Pro Tools installer, even those Intro and Artist users, who sure have no use for say an Atmos demo. All that just wasting space and bandwidth. Avid why... ?

I use them also, but would like to see new ones for ATMOS workflows or possibly a download area for future releases of ProTools.

Regards
Old 03-13-2024, 12:24 PM

I used one many years ago as a quick test of a fresh load on a computer without any other sessions. Otherwise, it seems the same waste as all the stock session templates

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-13-2024, 01:37 PM

I have used it to test a new rig, and to test new plugins because I don't want to accidentally wreck any of MY sessions, but maybe I want to see how to abuse that new distortion or harmony thing on a vocal track, for example.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 03-13-2024, 02:11 PM

Kerry, What about asking Avid to remove them from the installer and have them just separate installs?
Old 03-13-2024, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I used one many years ago as a quick test of a fresh load on a computer without any other sessions. Otherwise, it seems the same waste as all the stock session templates
Stock session templates take ~ 2.6MB on disk. Track presents a bit more.
Demo session take 455MB.

Another large use of space is the 532MB of sketch sound libraries. And the Sketch.aaxplugin itself which is ~1.1GB, and which on Mac is in the Pro Tools.app bundle. Like I suspect with most Pro Tools users I have no use for Sketch.

I now have a script that remove all these after an install.

A smaller use of space is the documentation being repeated on install media as well as within the Pro Tools bundle, at least on Mac, and that is then copied again into user directories. That's ~100MB in each copy. And Pro Tools does the bat**** insane thing of copying those pdf files to the user's directory every time Pro Tools starts up, even if they are already there and identical. I assume one of the other DAW vendors has deep cover agents who have penetrated Avid development and are successfully sabotaging the product from the inside. Just well done to whoever is doing this. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you have multiple versions of Pro Tools installed as I do, and save the .dmg etc. images this stuff starts to add up.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-13-2024 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-13-2024, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Kerry, What about asking Avid to remove them from the installer and have them just separate installs?
Hmmm. Does it do that? I download from the "My Products" tab on my.avid.com and the Demo Session shows up there as its own download item. So I figured that it was independent of the Pro Tools 20xx DMG.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 03-13-2024, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
Hmmm. Does it do that? I download from the "My Products" tab on my.avid.com and the Demo Session shows up there as its own download item. So I figured that it was independent of the Pro Tools 20xx DMG.
Young man, would I be prioritizing complaining about this if it was not a problem? I mean there is a lot of other stuff to complain about one has to prioritize their time

$ du -sm ~/Documents/Pro\ Tools/Demo\ Sessions

$ du -sm ~/Documents/Pro\ Tools/Documentation

$ du -sm /Applications/Pro\ Tools.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Documentation

$ du -sm /Applications/Pro\ Tools.app/Contents/PlugIns/System\ Plug-Ins/Pro\ Tools\ Sketch.aaxplugin

(and doh no Sketch is a systems plugin and is not copied to the system plugin folder, I corrected that above)