Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 07:44 PM

Default Movie Scoring

I'm kind of new at the technical side of scoring...I've got an 002r and was wondering...If I bring a video in to P.T. and then create a sound track or score fore it...How do I export the locked score and video, so it can open in another aplication such as Final Cut or Avid (or so I can burn it to a data disc) with the scoring tracks in place, but still moveable along the timeline? Does that make sense?
Thanks for the help...
Old 11-07-2007, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Movie Scoring

I think you need the DV toolkit man.

I do not have the DV toolkit but did a slightly more tedius workaround.

I had the editor add a sync beep every 5 minutes. and then export the entire sequence as mov file with whatever is on the video NLE (ADR, dialog etc etc)

I then score on top. After that, I just exported the scored music with the nearest sync pulse before music starts. Be careful to mute any other sound over lapping your music during the bounce. Just leave he first pulse on. This way, the editor can sync up with the pulse and it is still adjustable.

Robin
Old 11-08-2007, 04:34 AM

Default Re: Movie Scoring

Thanks Robin, Your work around idea sounds great. I'm gonna hold off on the DV toolkit for now, and try what you suggest.
I did a project once before where I couldn't get the recording track in the same window on the computer with the video for some reason. I had to gauge about a 1-2 second pause at the beginning of every separate piece of video I scored, to compensate for my inability to start the playback for the video and the score simultaneously while I composed...It was a real lesson in patience going back and forth between the two windows trying to find the exact sync points on the timeline, and write them down for the director.
Most of the scoring I've done has not been too timeline sensitive. It's more general theme compositions, that I email via mp3, and then the director slides, chops and fades it where he wants it. Now however, things are getting a bit more sophisticated in terms of precision. I'm getting projects where the director wants the finished, "timeline locked score". I'm sure I'll be back here on the boards asking a lot more questions...
Thanks again for your help on this particular one.

PS- is there anything I can do to expand the tiny video window that plays the movie in the 002r???

Thanks again
Dale