Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2003, 10:06 PM

Default Fans(or one time fans) of the band L.I.V.E.

Well, I just recently picked up the newest LIVE CD, Birds of Pray. And boy am I amazed at the lack of quality in the prodcution of this CD. I used to be a HUGE fan of Live, and it seems now that the main thing that brought me to the band is now my least favorite element of the band now, the lyrics. Something about Ed Kowalzeks lyrical style within the past 2 albums(Birds of Pray and V) just seem to sound really inane and immature in a way, has anyone else gotten that vibe from thier newer stuff?

Theres just NO comparison between this CD and say thier earlier Throwing Copper or Mental Jewely. Even 'The Distance to Here' I thought was a fantastic album.... I dont know what I am ranting about, I just was expecting more goodies and less of this generic style of sound.

oh well..
Old 06-02-2003, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Fans(or one time fans) of the band L.I.V.E.

Agreed. I havnt been a big fan since I heard the lyrics "lets go to the bar, well take my car. Lets go to the church, well meet lurch". How in the bloody hell did you get signed?
Old 06-02-2003, 10:46 PM

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-02-2003, 10:49 PM

Yeah, those are some bad lyrics, I still think that album had at least 1 or 2 gems, but I agree I am not to fond of the "Secret Samahdi" CD.

What a shame...
Old 06-03-2003, 02:14 AM

i bought Throwing Copper when it first came out. live was one of my favorites. i saw them in 2000 when they were on tour with Counting Crows and they sounded great. but they just kind of seem desperate to me. they must just be fulfilling their deal 'cause man, the new stuff sounds like a junior high kid whinning.

indigoing...

indigone.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:10 AM

Unfortunately I must agree. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I was a fan from very early on. I saw a 30 second promo clip about this up and coming ban from York Pennsylvania on Mtv back in late 91'and instantly ran out to my local record shop and bought "Mental Jewelry" on cassette. That tape was in my player for about six months straight. I eventualy had to replace it on CD a few years later. I remember my room mate once telling me that a song I had written reminded him of "that one band.. you know...the one you always play REALLY loud." [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, I had to wait two years before "Throwing Copper" was released (to NO publicity at first), and then they became huge. I was very proud to be a fan, and loved "Throwing Copper", "Secret Samadhi" (even though some of the lyrics sucked)and "The Distance to Here" (Ed redeemed himself).

I saw them live twice on the TC tour, twice on the SS tour and once on the DTH tour and they were AMAZING every time!

Then came "V". [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Except for two songs (which were ok), this album stunk up the joint BIG TIME. I saw them live on this tour and decided that would be my last. Very sad.

From everything I've heard and read it sounds like "Birds of Pray" is better than "V", but not as good as "Distance".

At least they gave us 4 really good albums and a handfull of great EPs and singles.

BigRedButton / Jackson Jackson
www.jacksonbjackson.com
Old 06-03-2003, 09:16 AM

I, too, am a fan of Live. I have seen 4 times on 3 tours. It does seem like the band is trying to 'expand their musical horizons' and it isn't working for me. Lyrics aside, I don't think the song writing is as good as it has been. I hope they get something useful out of it, but I don't think I'll be buying another cd of theirs for awhile. Best of luck to them.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:27 AM

I, too, am a fan of Live. I have seen 4 times on 3 tours. It does seem like the band is trying to 'expand their musical horizons' and it isn't working for me. Lyrics aside, I don't think the song writing is as good as it has been. I hope they get something useful out of it, but I don't think I'll be buying another cd of theirs for awhile. Best of luck to them.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:26 AM

I don't follow this band that much.

After reading your posts, sounds like
the next cd they are gonna put out will
be a GREATEST HITS since they have 2 great
songs from each past cd...?

Didn't a famous engineer/producer
accidentally find them or get the project
in the early years, I read somewhere?

I think I am more spiritual in my life now.
I liked the new single, HEAVEN?
I also liked BRUCE ALMIGHTY (the movie)
Old 06-03-2003, 11:04 AM

Jerry Harrison, formerly Talking Heads, produced Throwing Copper. (Their definite high point) I kind of lost interest after Secret Samadhi.