Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2009, 08:58 PM

Default OT: In all seriousness about the future

Out of curiosity, where do you guys see the DAW industry in 5 years.

1. Do you believe PT will stay the pro standard based on the last 5 years of it's development.

2. What would really keep PT on top. (be constructive and keep in mind that budgets for all R&R are tight and most likely will stay that way for some time.)

3. What other company do you feel could be in the top position in say 10 years if (theoretically) Avid focused more on entry to mid level systems.

4. If your HD3 (or bigger) system dissolved tomorrow, and you had to pay for a new system out of your pocket, what would you buy?

I'm only curious because I was thinking that if MY system blew up, I'm not entirely certain I'd invest past a used HD1 at this point because the future of PT, due mainly to very poor communication and lack of innovation, seems especially uncertain now.

Your thoughts ladies and gentlemen. :)

Ron
Old 09-15-2009, 10:00 PM

Talking Re: OT: In all seriousness about the future

lack of innovation?
What did you drink?

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:16 PM

Default Re: OT: In all seriousness about the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
stems.

4. If your HD3 (or bigger) system dissolved tomorrow, and you had to pay for a new system out of your pocket, what would you buy?
Another HD rig cause I need it to use my Icon ...
Old 09-15-2009, 10:33 PM

I won't be happy until we have a huge iTouch-like control surface that can morph with software updates/changes. I look forward a few generations from now (GUI control surfaces that can change shape to provide tactile feel/feedback to the user).

I believe everyone should stop designing DSP cards that fit in computers. It is not a good model at this point. Get things right to leverage native horsepower (multi-threaded perfection) and design a specialized high speed audio network to tag on optional monster power DSP boxes and pass audio to/from interfaces.

Unfortunately doing it right will render all our existing HD systems worthless. Specialized hardware is evil, software and raw DSP power is wondeful. Hope I don't have too throw my hardware out too many times 'cause the cost really hurts for us project studios.

Quote:
What did you drink?
Rum from the islands, and maybe more than is good for me this year.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:15 AM

I would definitely go with another HD system. Maybe even upgrade to an HD3.

I have my quad core 2.6 Xeon Mac Pro and the school I work at has an 8 core Xeon Mac Pro. They have an LE system and even though they have a year old Mac Pro, there always seems to be latency things to worry about--especially when using samplers with the projects. I don't ever have to worry about those sort of things on my HD rig on my 2 year old computer because of HD.

Previous to owning Pro Tools HD system, I was working on a Native system for a couple years. It drove me nuts. I hated getting to the final vocals and running out of horse power. Sure, computers are going to keep getting more powerful, but I'd really have to see it working in action as smooth as an HD system before I would consider moving away from HD. I still predict several years before we hit that point.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 09-16-2009, 12:20 AM

I'd still have to stay HD for mixing for right now. If it were to blow up, I would say either Logic or Cubase.

The problem is that it is still very hard to edit raw audio in Logic (zero crossings, etc.) I would still need PT for that, but an LE system could do just fine for editing.

Cubase is a little better, but still pretty extraneous.

I'm still stuck with PT.

Pro Tools 10 HD Native | Mbox 3 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.3 i5 | OSX 10.7.4

Pro Tools Music & Post Operator V6-8, Instructor, and Expert ICON Mixer Certified.
Multi-Platinum Pro Tools Videos
Old 09-16-2009, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Iphone HD 12 accel with built-in 10-TB SSD drives and wireless outboard.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Quote:
1. Do you believe PT will stay the pro standard based on the last 5 years of it's development.
If they can maintain the stability of Pro Tools I think they will be right up there.
I dont care much in which DAW environment I write/mix the music as long as it is stable and easy
to use. PT is. IMO.

Quote:
2. What would really keep PT on top. (be constructive and keep in mind that budgets for all R&R are tight and most likely will stay that way for some time.)
1 - Stability, Stability, Stability.
2 - Dedicated hardware

Quote:
3. What other company do you feel could be in the top position in say 10 years if (theoretically) Avid focused more on entry to mid level systems.
Any company other than the ones currently existing, emerging because of the AVIDs decision to go low end.

Quote:
PT HD|3

Quote:
I'm only curious because I was thinking that if MY system blew up, I'm not entirely certain I'd invest past a used HD1 at this point because the future of PT, due mainly to very poor communication and lack of innovation, seems especially uncertain now.
I dont understand why everyone wants companies to keep innovating. I think PT HD is very nice where it is now.
I got all the plugs I could every need and then some. Someone who cant make a great mix on PT HD probably cant make a great mix at all
Old 09-16-2009, 04:18 AM

I think now's the time for Avid/Digi to take a leaf out of Apples book and concentrate on stability and performance (as in SL) for the next release and leave the innovations and new features for later.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:50 AM

Arrow Re: OT: In all seriousness about the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by smfelton View Post
I think now's the time for Avid/Digi to take a leaf out of Apples book and concentrate on stability and performance (as in SL) for the next release and leave the innovations and new features for later.
I have been advocating this for years. With the release of v8.0.1, it appears Avid is finally taking this advice. As a pro user, I don't care about elastic pitch or some new-fangled feature. I need the existing features to work the way I expect when I execute them.