Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2009, 03:41 PM

Default Re: the quality of just the 003 rack?

I've overstepped my bounds? Are you the president?

I'm not disputing your criticism, I'm disputing the fact that you claim that Avid is somehow "failing in all areas" even though they are the industry standard in two major fields of digital production. It's as ludicrous as saying Apple is failing in all areas with iTunes, even though they are the number one marketplace for music in the world.

Either we have two extremely different opinions of what qualifies as failure, or you have some sort of irrational hatred for successful businesses. Clearly Digi must be doing something right somewhere, or we wouldn't be here in the first place.

I LIKE my 003. It does everything I need it to do, and then some. If you want 24 channels, get something else. I'm not saying your criticisms are unwarranted, but you're going much further than criticism. Especially if you are actively turning people away from a Pro Tools system.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
I've overstepped my bounds? Are you the president?

I'm not disputing your criticism, I'm disputing the fact that you claim that Avid is somehow "failing in all areas" even though they are the industry standard in two major fields of digital production. It's as ludicrous as saying Apple is failing in all areas with iTunes, even though they are the number one marketplace for music in the world.

Either we have two extremely different opinions of what qualifies as failure, or you have some sort of irrational hatred for successful businesses. Clearly Digi must be doing something right somewhere, or we wouldn't be here in the first place.

I LIKE my 003. It does everything I need it to do, and then some. If you want 24 channels, get something else. I'm not saying your criticisms are unwarranted, but you're going much further than criticism. Especially if you are actively turning people away from a Pro Tools system.
Like I said... You were warned..

But take comfort in the fact that Digi will zap his posts if they go over the line.. It has happened before. They are quite tolerant. I think they must have a good sense of humor.. (and what will pepper have to say about that, I wonder)
Old 09-17-2009, 03:59 PM

Digi has read and allowed everything you are seeing, at least things that are a few hours old. That doesn't mean they agree with the points made. They are hoping you guys will refute them, because in fact my opinion is likely that of the majority of customers out there. (This board tends to attract fanboys natch.)

Attacking me personally does not help them. Attacking my points with factual or supported subjective information would help them.

Unfortuntately, the facts are on my side. But in fact that does help them, if they are able to fix the problems and sell you better products. Right now they don't have competitive solutions on offer due to a combination of managerial refusal to decripple what exists, and engineering inability to hit planned shipment dates.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:39 PM

I have a couple of Peppertrees out in the back and the mess they make...dropping all their oily peppers, leaves.. ruining the soil....nothing but a nuisance. Time to get the chainsaw out and take care of it.
And BTW.. those M-audio interfaces can go right in the trash.....
Old 09-17-2009, 04:56 PM

I still don't know how I've attacked you personally... and everything I've refuted I have backed up.

As I said, you're spouting irrational claims that Avid is "failing" and that's what I'm disputing. If that was the "majority" of the customer's feelings, then why would they buy Digidesign hardware and software? Your logic fails to provide any convincing evidence.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:04 PM

ok ok

i have read alot here for a while and have read peppertree's statements and i know where he stands.

i have thick skin and while i didn't want my question turned into a bash fest i don't begrudge anyone their opinion

that being said

it does make me stop and think now, i have logic 9 right now on the mac, and cubase 5 right now, both are set up and running fine

but it was the look of PT8 that i just really really liked, and the workflow of it. its very different than C5 or L9 and i like th console look much better than either of the other 2

so that being said and i DO NOT need a control surface, what is the best way to get into PT8 with a min of 4 pre's and 8 inputs, and the other outputs, 2 headphone, 2 sets of monitors ADAT if i want apogee or something else down the line?

aaarrrgghh this has made me rethink, is the rack really a waste then??
Old 09-17-2009, 05:24 PM

If PT8 with 4 mic pres, 8 inputs and 2 HP jacks are what you're looking for, then the 003R is perfect for you. ADAT will give you another 8 inputs as well. The 003R+ will give you 8 pres instead of 4, but is otherwise the same machine.

The 003 is quite a decent piece of hardware, regardless of Peppertree's opinions. If he doesn't like it, then he shouldn't use it, and let other people decide instead of just calling it a "failure". If you can arrange to borrow it from your friend for a day or two, to test it out, I'm sure you'll be able to make your own opinions.

The rest of us are here because we already use the PT hardware, and most of us seem to get along just fine with it. I've been using an 003R for almost 2 years now, and I have very few complaints because it does exactly what I need it to do. If you want more, then obviously you'll want to get something different. I certainly would not call the 003R a waste...
Old 09-17-2009, 05:28 PM

i liked his 002 and 8.0.1, which is why i am here again asking questions

like you said i can always add to it if i feel its lacking down the road. i just want to get into PT, cause i loved how it looked and the workflow, but that was the software part. the hardware part is where i have questions

but for me the 003r is the perfect starting point and with the Mus toolkit 2 sale when i buy one its a no brainer for me

ADC sort of gets me, but my friend says its not a huge deal??

and i can add another AD/DA via adat if i ever feel it necessary
Old 09-17-2009, 05:32 PM

Exactly. There are always more options to add on to a system, and different clocks to sync with, etc, etc.

The 003 certainly isn't the end-all DAW hardware, but it's certainly a good step in the right direction if you're looking to get some quality use from Pro Tools LE.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:03 PM

one other quick question if i may

I use t-racks 3 or ozone 4 to quick master my stuff here at home. in cubase i mix down to a stereo wav file and then re import it on one stereo track, thn insert one of those plugs on the master and master the song

does t-racks 3 or ozone 4 work well in this regard in PT LE?

thanks