Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2009, 07:13 AM

Default Re: This is JUST what we NEED! NOT!!! Pro Tools Essential and Structure Essential

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilco View Post
I still don't see any official announcement, but I did find something new last night:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...KeyStudio.html

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...ingStudio.html

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...calStudio.html

I stopped at Best Buy last night on the way home from work and sure enough, all 3 were stocked on the shelf in the Best Buy mini Music Store. I mulled over which one to buy and ended up with "Recording Studio" since I already have an 49 key M-Audio keyboard. I didn't have time to install it yet, had to go play bass on a session with a studio using (shudder) Nuendo. I figure for $99, why not? I want to see how the feature set lines up with my ancient version of Cakewalk Music Creator. I will probably install it on an old Dell until I figure out if I can install it on the same ibook as my PT LE 8 (no patches installed yet).
Keep us posted; & just to add, Since ur NOT a neewb & the 1st to grab it, UR officially dedicated tech support for all the new freshman for this

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 09-16-2009, 07:44 AM

Default Re: This is JUST what we NEED! NOT!!! Pro Tools Essential and Structure Essential

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
Keep us posted; & just to add, Since ur NOT a neewb & the 1st to grab it, UR officially dedicated tech support for all the new freshman for this
And you do the psychological consultation part!
Old 09-16-2009, 08:04 AM

Maybe I'll make my wife do the install without offering any advice just to see how it goes for a newb

I'll probably get one version of this or another for my nieces for Christmas as well as for my tech challenged guitarist pal

I am a sucker for buying Digi stuff, can't help it. I still love PT Free!!!
Old 09-16-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM View Post
And you do the psychological consultation part!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilco View Post
Maybe I'll make my wife do the install without offering any advice just to see how it goes for a newb

I'll probably get one version of this or another for my nieces for Christmas as well as for my tech challenged guitarist pal

I am a sucker for buying Digi stuff, can't help it. I still love PT Free!!!

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 09-16-2009, 11:06 AM

I see a little problem here: saying "I have a Pro Tools Recording Studio" usedtamean something like this:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Produ.../000039642.jpg

Now means something like this:

Now ^V|> has gone and sold its one last crown jewel down the river: its brand equity. I don't see how "Pro Tools Recording Studio" will have any residual cachet after this. And without that cachet, what asset do they have left?
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post
I see a little problem here: saying "I have a Pro Tools Recording Studio" usedtamean something like this:

Now ^V|> has gone and sold its one last crown jewel down the river: its brand equity. I don't see how "Pro Tools Recording Studio" will have any residual cachet after this. And without that cachet, what asset do they have left?
Sometimes I really love a shake pf Pepper

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 09-16-2009, 11:53 AM

I think I kinda see what Avid is doing here.

M-Audio has a recording program it would sale with these products called Sessions.

Sessions was the equivalent to using a radio shack tape recorded. No editing capabilities period.

I gave this to my son to get him started leaning how to record etc.

I also taught him Ardour and others.

I can see where this will be a good thing for PT overall.

Eliminate Sessions all together so the company as a whole focuses on one DAW.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:

Adobe Photoshop LE sets a precedent that completely undoes that theory. Photoshop is still the number one 'hoover' of the graphics world. Creating versions for mass market do not diminish the hold a product has on a market, conversely I was in a studio today using a Fairlight system... remember them?

People are smart enough to know that the tools are only half the equation, the talent is the necessary other half.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:32 PM

I think this spells the end of Pro Tools.

But not in the way you think, necessarily. I think it means the new professional solution will be named something entirely different. Not just tacking on a couple letters no one bothers to mention to distinguish it.

I think the general consensus is the brand equity was already damaged by the Mboxes. So why not go all the way? Give the lowest-end product the generic, that'll kill it good.

This just means they have even more miracles they need to work to stay in the game. Not only will they have to rewrite the entire audio engine and redo the hardware, they have the marketing challenge of starting a brand out at absolute zero...it probably won't even mention "digidesign"...and try to get it recognized as the professional industry standard.

They are making life far too hard for themselves. They are taking a fundamentally winning position and trying to pull off a series of very doubtful and unnecessary gambits. At the very time the competition is best poised to seize their lunch and run off with it.

Madness.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I think this spells the end of Pro Tools.

But not in the way you think, necessarily. I think it means the new professional solution will be named something entirely different. Not just tacking on a couple letters no one bothers to mention to distinguish it.

I think the general consensus is the brand equity was already damaged by the Mboxes. So why not go all the way? Give the lowest-end product the generic, that'll kill it good.

This just means they have even more miracles they need to work to stay in the game. Not only will they have to rewrite the entire audio engine and redo the hardware, they have the marketing challenge of starting a brand out at absolute zero...it probably won't even mention "digidesign"...and try to get it recognized as the professional industry standard.

They are making life far too hard for themselves. They are taking a fundamentally winning position and trying to pull off a series of very doubtful and unnecessary gambits. At the very time the competition is best poised to seize their lunch and run off with it.

Madness.
This doesn't make sense. The High end users don't care what the name is or what the marketing analysis says will make good ad copy. They are more interested in how well PT works for them (yes, I know peppertree, you have plenty to say about that).

Do you care what the name of a product is? Does that influence your purchasing decision making?

So for everybody else out there not in the market for HD, this seems to be the exact, perfect time to leverage their name exposure. Their name recognition is probably about as peaked out as it's gonna get, so if you view your corporate identity as an asset to be used for your advantage,then you strike when the iron's hot.

Does that, in the future, dilute the value of the name? Possibly. Is it more important to bring more users into the fold now, hoping they will stay with PT if and when they move up? Probably, especially if the competition is truly taking away their business, like the doom sayers like to moan about (and you know who you are)..