Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2001, 01:52 AM

Default LOOPS!!

...Can someone tell me if I can take a loop with an unidentified tempo and find it's tempo using PTLE. And also can I change that tempo? Or should I do this with sample cell? Thank ya' thank ya'....
Old 03-10-2001, 02:04 AM

Default Re: LOOPS!!

select the audio at the begining and end of an exact 1 bar loop. Then "identify beat"
this will create a grid and the correct tempo. and then read the manual.
Old 03-10-2001, 05:58 AM

This doesn't seem to work. I tried it several times and contacted digi tech support. They never got back to me with an answer. One of the guys said it was meant for something else. If you can afford it try pitch and time. You identify the tempo of a loop as well as match several loops of a different tempo.
Old 03-10-2001, 09:19 AM

Make selection of loop
Hit apple+i
Define the bar and beat of the beginning and end of the loop
eg. If it's a four bar loop you'd type start= 1/1 and end= 5/1
You can then use the time compression from the audio suite pull down menu to change the tempo to whatever you'd like
Old 03-11-2001, 11:17 AM

What do you mean is doesnt seem to work.
Actually it took me a few days to figure it out as well.
The secret i s putting in the right bar numbers. Like FLYMAX describes above.
I use it 15 times a day. Its great.
After you do this, you stretch or shorten the audio with variuos plug-ins. The free digi plug time and tempo( or whatever its called) is good.
Old 03-11-2001, 03:05 PM

I use this tomfoolery in just about evey sesion,I think your problem is in the transport window,,click on the condutor icon so that it isn't highlited,,then go a head and do what you have been doing,,
Old 03-11-2001, 03:06 PM

I use this tomfoolery in just about evey sesion,I think your problem is in the transport window,,click on the condutor icon so that it isn't highlited,,then go a head and do what you have been doing,,
Old 03-14-2001, 06:35 PM

I was very relieved to find this post because I've needed something like this for ever. However, been trying it now for hours to no avail, so can you please help me to get this working?

Basic rules are followed:

1. Recorded a stereo file.
2. Selected an audio region.
3. Edit> Identify Beat (only works when conductor *IS* enabled, unavailable if conductor in the transport is not highlighted.)
4. After Identify Beat, the start and end points for the Bar/Beat markers in the pop-up window were given correctly, according to the Start and End points of the selected region: (1:1:000)(3:4:920)and 4/4 meter.
5. So I selected Ok.

The result was only a given selected area in the ruler between beat markers w/ 120bpm indication in the tempo field by the left marker. This tempo is incorrect. The problem is that 120bpm indication is the only tempo ever given for any sample, and I used varying tempos with different beats for the test (also so I could verify I used sample CD's with bpm already listed, so I know the beats were not 120 bpm.)

Just to try something else, before starting the process over again, I also used different sequencer tempos other than using the standard default which also happens to be 120bpm, (and so I figured that Identify Beat would change with the original given tempo) but "Identify Beat" only delivers 120bpm every time, regardless of where the setting was before recording.

This feature as I've used it has definitely not calculated the tempo of a given audio region as it is supposed to do, but I know that I'm probably missing a step. I understand as you all say, and as the manual says, that "Identify Beat" is supposed to give the tempo of the recorded selection, provided proper start and end points are inserted, along with the meter of the selection. I've tried following the simple steps to do it, but no luck so far. So, I don't know where the missing step is, or if I need a whole new approach or what?

Please help.
Old 03-15-2001, 10:31 AM

Your problem is in step 4. The values that come up for the start and end points are at the current session tempo, not the tempo of the loop. Since you're starting from 120, you always get 120.

You need to change the second value to reflect the actual bar|beat that you're hearing in the loop. If you hear exactly four bars in the loop, change the second value to 5|1|000.
Old 03-15-2001, 02:32 PM

what tim said!