Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2003, 04:15 PM

Default any tips on using the delay plug-in?

my Boss Digital Delay pedal just broke and i'm trying to go without buying anything for the next month or so and was wondering if anyone had any tips so i can get the delay plugins that come with LE to sound like a delay pedal. The only thing i can get sounds really 'warbly'

thanks for any help.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:01 PM

Default Re: any tips on using the delay plug-in?

I also have a hard time finding anything that sounds right to me with this plugin.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:05 AM

Remember, these are mod+delay plugs. If you don't want phase/chorus/flange then set the depth, and rate sliders to 0. I use them constantly, particularly in a send/return configuration on aux tracks for ambience, some examples:
1. an analog type delay: ( I do everything to a click, so I sync all delays in tempo. In PT6 just set the tempo in the slider, and choose 8th, quarter, half etc. In PT 5.x you have to calculate the time yourself, ask me if you don't know how). So, set your delay time. Use the mix slider to control the wet/dry relationship (on an aux, set mix to 100% and use the send level to control this). Use the feedback slider to control the number of repeats you'l hear. Use the LPF to roll off high end like an analog delay does. I set it from 3-10k depending on how lo-fi I want it to sound. Usually I set shorter delays around 8-10k and longer delays from 3-7k, but that's just me.
2. Using the mods: set really short delay times for the modulation effects. PHASER 0.5-0.8ms. CHORUS 2-4ms. FLANGE 7-10ms. On all of these set the depth/rate to taste. You'll start to actually hear a seperated delay at around 9ms, so getting a real 'flange' is difficult, but it works in a pinch.

RR
Old 05-02-2003, 10:20 AM

yes that totally worked. thanks a bunch.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:13 AM

I always have delay in my mixes set up like this:

Stereo aux track with a fairly short delay (5-20ms) and some modulation, no feedback. Slightly different time and mod rate on the two sides. Perhaps a bit of hi cut.

Now, an instrument panned to the right sends on a stereo bus to the left side of the delay. and vice versa. Its a very powerful tool to create slight stereo slaps that really gives wonderful spread and space to my mixes. And you control the amout and the pan from the send.

Try it out if you havent.

Oh, and it should be used very sparingly. It should really not be noticable until bypassed.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:45 AM

thanks for the tips. Keep `em coming if you've got any more. I'm printing this out. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]