Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2024, 07:45 PM

Default HD Native Card Issues

I've had my HD native for about 10 years, so I feel lucky nothing has happened up until this point.
My main machine had some issues this week and i had to re-image the thing and subsequently had to reinstall software and drivers updating to Ventura.
To do so I had to remove the HD Native card temporarily.

Once everything was back up and running, i reinstalled the HDN card and the weirdness started. While using the HD Native as my playback device, the machine instantly spikes to 100% system usage. It is unusable. Thinking it might be some clock issue or something (as when i turned my clock off the CPU spike stopped). I tried running one of the interfaces standalone with internal clock. Same problem. After a myriad of tests, i took the card out and popped it into my old cheese grater that still works great. After installing the driver, and starting pro tools up, SAME issue in the old mac (same exact spike as well... its weird, out of the 16 cores, the system usage makes like a big triangle out of the graph) un-usable there as well. I swapped cables around, same issue.

Im assuming the card has seen its last session. just wondering if anyone else has seen this type of behavior and if that is indeed the case.

Thanks in advance! :)
Old 02-08-2024, 12:02 AM

Default Re: HD Native Card Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEIStudio View Post
I've had my HD native for about 10 years, so I feel lucky nothing has happened up until this point.
My main machine had some issues this week and i had to re-image the thing and subsequently had to reinstall software and drivers updating to Ventura.
To do so I had to remove the HD Native card temporarily.

Once everything was back up and running, i reinstalled the HDN card and the weirdness started. While using the HD Native as my playback device, the machine instantly spikes to 100% system usage. It is unusable. Thinking it might be some clock issue or something (as when i turned my clock off the CPU spike stopped). I tried running one of the interfaces standalone with internal clock. Same problem. After a myriad of tests, i took the card out and popped it into my old cheese grater that still works great. After installing the driver, and starting pro tools up, SAME issue in the old mac (same exact spike as well... its weird, out of the 16 cores, the system usage makes like a big triangle out of the graph) un-usable there as well. I swapped cables around, same issue.

Im assuming the card has seen its last session. just wondering if anyone else has seen this type of behavior and if that is indeed the case.

Thanks in advance! :)

Tried HD Driver 2023.3? From HD Driver 2023.6 onwards, Apple has been prioritising support with Apple Silicon Macs. The consequence of Apple Silicon support is it busted something on a lot of older Intel machines. The advice is to use HD Driver 2023.3, even with the newest version of Pro Tools.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.