Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2023, 05:52 PM

Default All In One Channel Strip in AAX DSP

Is there anything like Schep's Omni Channel and/or Nectar in AAX DSP?

Rey
https://r-e-y.com/

macOS Ventura
Pro Tools 2022
iMac (Retina 5K. 27-Inch, 2020)
Processor 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9
3.6 GHz Dual-Intel Core i7
16GB ram
AMD Radeon Pro 5700 8GB
Shure SM7B Mic
Pro Tools | Carbon
Komplete Kontrol M32
AKAI Mpk3 Mini
KALI Lp 6 (2)
Old 02-07-2023, 06:39 PM

Default Re: All In One Channel Strip in AAX DSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReynaldoPena View Post
Is there anything like Schep's Omni Channel and/or Nectar in AAX DSP?
All of the Plugin Alliance strips (bx & Lindell), McDSP...

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 02-07-2023, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
All of the Plugin Alliance strips (bx & Lindell), McDSP...
Lindell is not AAX DSP

Bx has nothing with a De-Esser, saturator and a gate alongside EQ and comp.

McDSP, aside from the fact that I don't find it competent enough, I'm limited to adding only 3 items to their 6050 channel strip. I just tried a few settings and the sound is just not the same as the Scheps and Nectar.

My main concern is a AAX DSP. I can work around it with a Lindell 7x-500, SSL but I have to add a De-Esser. As self recording artist, the volume of the work I do is really high, this is why I'm looking into the options out there.

Rey

macOS Ventura
Pro Tools 2022
16GB ram
AMD Radeon Pro 5700 8GB
Shure SM7B Mic
Pro Tools | Carbon
Komplete Kontrol M32
AKAI Mpk3 Mini
KALI Lp 6 (2)
Old 02-07-2023, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReynaldoPena View Post
Lindell is not AAX DSP

Bx has nothing with a De-Esser, saturator and a gate alongside EQ and comp.

McDSP, aside from the fact that I don't find it competent enough, I'm limited to adding only 3 items to their 6050 channel strip. I just tried a few settings and the sound is just not the same as the Scheps and Nectar.

My main concern is a AAX DSP. I can work around it with a Lindell 7x-500, SSL but I have to add a De-Esser. As self recording artist, the volume of the work I do is really high, this is why I'm looking into the options out there.
Ah, I see. Sounds like you're looking for a vocal-focused channel? I agree that I haven't noticed one with a dedicated de-esser and saturator. I think some of the bx strips do have a gate/expander. So does Avid's Channel Strip plugin (which I forgot, because I find it awkward to use). If you're just using them for tracking (since your sig says Carbon) do you really find it crucial to have all of that in-line when tracking? When I need to sing to a special effect (like distortion or a load of stuff in Nectar) I send it to an Aux with that stuff and set that to DSP-safe. I also usually like to choose my de-esser and saturation afterwards, just for flexibility.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 02-07-2023, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
Ah, I see. Sounds like you're looking for a vocal-focused channel? I agree that I haven't noticed one with a dedicated de-esser and saturator. I think some of the bx strips do have a gate/expander. So does Avid's Channel Strip plugin (which I forgot, because I find it awkward to use). If you're just using them for tracking (since your sig says Carbon) do you really find it crucial to have all of that in-line when tracking? When I need to sing to a special effect (like distortion or a load of stuff in Nectar) I send it to an Aux with that stuff and set that to DSP-safe. I also usually like to choose my de-esser and saturation afterwards, just for flexibility.
I'll def. try this tomorrow. Man I went at it with the Channel Strip and found the perfect tone and perfect setup to match my Schep's Omni Channel vocals. I also finally learned how to use bomb factory. As a noob I'd crank the input knob and stopped using it after hearing it choked my vocals. I set the input knob at about 40% with the output at about 60% and it's excellent. Avid's channel strip is underrated I see.

Rey

macOS Ventura
Pro Tools 2022
16GB ram
AMD Radeon Pro 5700 8GB
Shure SM7B Mic
Pro Tools | Carbon
Komplete Kontrol M32
AKAI Mpk3 Mini
KALI Lp 6 (2)
Old 02-08-2023, 01:27 AM

Metric Halo channel strip is AAX-DSP and is AS native too, if you're using an M1/M2 machine.

I bought it because bx_console_N (which I really like) loads really slowly on the Carbon if you put it on multiple channels, and also hasn't been updated to run on the AS PT build.

It's expensive unfortunately. I bought the whole Metric Halo bundle to save money!
The De-esser and "Character" (which is a saturation plug) are part of the bundle, rather than part of the channel strip.
The channel strip has a Gate/Expander built in, but the separate Expander/Gate plug has rather high latency, so you wouldn't want to use it when tracking. The channel strip performs well.

EDIT: OK, here's the list. Assume the Carbon in DSP mode has 36 samples delay at 96KHz - which is 0.38ms with no plugins. Additional delay in samples.

Avid Channel Strip: 10 samples
Metric Halo Channel Strip: 10 samples
Metric Halo Character (drive/saturation): 14 samples
Metric Halo De-esser: 60 samples
Metric Halo MultiBand Dynamics: 14 samples
Metric Halo Expander/Gate: 202 samples
Metric Halo Transient Control: 10 samples

So, as an example, if you add the MH Channel Strip (10 samples) and MH De-Esser (60 samples) plus base latency (36 samples) you get 106 samples delay at 96KHz which is roughly 1.1ms delay.

Dominic

Last edited by dominicperry; 02-16-2023 at 02:15 AM.
Old 02-08-2023, 02:33 AM

^^ this is how latency adds up in DSP systems. Back in the day I was laughed at when I told that my "blazing fast TDM system" constantly had real-life latency of about 350 samples (@48k) on a full mix, with a live band, in front of live audience, and the band had absolutely zero problem with the monitoring provided by PT.
Old 02-15-2023, 11:35 PM

Well there's the iZotope Neutron, but I'm guessing thats what you. meant when you said Nectar.