Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2010, 10:23 AM

Question Windows 7 and M-Powered Pro Tools

Getting ready to buy a new PC, and wondered if it's wise to buy Windows 7 even though my Pro Tools M-powered is only a beta (I think) for Win 7. I've heard too much bad about Vista, and want to keep up with the new Op Sys if possible. What do you recommend?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Windows 7 and M-Powered Pro Tools

Bought a new laptop a couple months back.. Windows 7, IE8, 64 bit.. I'm running M-Powered 8.0.3 and have had no problems at all.. I do run as administrator because of some 3rd party plug-in issues..
Old 06-10-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneRay View Post
Getting ready to buy a new PC, and wondered if it's wise to buy Windows 7 even though my Pro Tools M-powered is only a beta (I think) for Win 7. I've heard too much bad about Vista, and want to keep up with the new Op Sys if possible. What do you recommend?
It really depends on the interface you are using.
I use the Delta 1010LT and the Driver for it used with W7 64Bit is like oil and water.
IT DONT WORK. Go over to the M-Audio Forum and Bask in the Chaos.
http://forums.m-audio.com/

It is pretty funny.

I am using XP Pro Sp3 because I want to make music not troubleshoot a multi million dollar corporations problems for free.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip888 View Post
I am using XP Pro Sp3 because I want to make music not troubleshoot a multi million dollar corporations problems for free.
I'm Sick of that also

I guess that's part of the new Avid business Plan

Let the users fix things!!!!
Old 06-10-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I use Win 7/64 with a 2626 every day. I am having very little problems with it. Not that Win 7 and PT don't have their share of issues, but it's possible to run it very well.

The real issue is are you running a studio on the clock, or a home studio. I have done live band tracking with 16 tracks at a time on Vista and windows 7 and XP. They all worked without a hitch. If you are making a living with PT, I would get the win 7 PC, and make a sepperate drive with XP on it as a back up to get you up and running if there is a problem. If you are running your own projects and can deal with a little extra work to get it all up and running, and you do your research on what components work well with PT, I say why not. It does work.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
It is probably worth mentioning that Win 7 for PT isn't in Beta anymore. It is RTM as any new copy you buy will be 8.0.3. I'm on Win7 x64 with a Fast Track Pro and an Akai MPD18...so far, it's been working like a champ.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:33 PM

I've been running PTMP 8.0.3cs3 on Win7-64 for several months now, and I have to say that more problems have been solved with that combination than were created by it. I do get occasional hangs during and when loading sessions, but it doesn't really seem worse than on XPSP3. I don't think I've run into any bug that would cause me to lose a take. I have adopted the habit of saving sessions before I perform any major operation, but that takes all of hitting Ctrl+S. I don't even think about it. 4GB executibles and getting my RAM back from my PCI cards are worth the price of admission alone.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:50 PM

could you post comments about your initial configurations to make a best performance with W7 FAST TRACK, MPOWERD 803?
I'm going to have a system like your system.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digi_D View Post
It is probably worth mentioning that Win 7 for PT isn't in Beta anymore. It is RTM as any new copy you buy will be 8.0.3. I'm on Win7 x64 with a Fast Track Pro and an Akai MPD18...so far, it's been working like a champ.
could you post comments about your initial configurations to make a best performance with W7 FAST TRACK, MPOWERD 803?
I'm going to have a system like your system.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog BBQ View Post
Let the users fix things!!!!
It's pretty rampant throughout the software industry.

Rule #1: Never upgrade to a new OS until the first service pack is out.

Rule #2: Never upgrade to even number service packs -- these typically add features and screw up stuff that was working. Instead wait until the next odd number pack is out. Remember: Even number service packs create problems. Odd numbered service packs fix the problems.

Rule #3: Applications -- Never load a version 1.0.0, 2.0.0, 3.0.0, etc., onto your computer. Always wait for version X.0.1.

These were given to us in our Microsoft Certification Program.

I've seen this in video games, database software, audio software, video software. I did alpha and beta testing of stuff. I'd report glitches during the alpha phase and they'd still be there in the "final" released product because someone up top decided they needed to sell a partially working product quickly because they'd overhyped it. The Dilbert strip is so true to life at times it's scary.

Mainboard: DFI Inc. INF P35-R
BIOS : Phx Tech, LTD 6.00 PG 03/11/2008
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
MP APIC : Y
Tot Mem : 3.25GB DIMM DDR2 (WinXP)

Chipset: Intel P35/G33/G31 Proc
Front Side Bus Spd : 4x 266MHz
Mem Bus Spd : 2x 399MHz

(C:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
(D:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)