Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2008, 12:38 AM

Default HD2 Accel for Tracking and livemixing

Hi Protools Users,

we want to record and mix a show with 48 tracks.
we get the tracks from the FOH Localrack via MADI (optical).
we have to do a stereomix. this will be converted to MP3 to sell it on USB Sticks after the show
the 48 track-Recording will be mixed later in the studio for a DVD in Surround

I thought about following setup:

SSL MADI to Protools Interface
Protools HD2 Accel with a Mac 8-Core for recording and Mixing (no desk - only Protools with a Controller)
a Macbook for Recording the stereomix

what do you think? is this a safe system?

many thanx for help
Rolf
Old 04-20-2008, 06:39 AM

Default Re: HD2 Accel for Tracking and livemixing

Doing a live mix with ProToolsHD works just fine. Personally, I have a Digidesign Venue console I use for FOH that is just mixing FOH--but I have a direct connection via Digilink to ProToolsHD where I am recording up to 80-tracks. I will edit and post the mix during the week, but while I'm tracking--I'm doing a live broadcast mix that is locked to video--the Control24 gives me the hands-on control over that mix in realtime. In fact, I am doing this right now (this is my church setup). You do not need the secondary computer, simply create a bus and feed your stereo mix to a new track via a bus---put that in record mode. This way when the session is done, all you need to do is convert that file to MP3 in something like Peak.

If you want to know more about this setup and what I'm doing with it, feel free to email me at [email protected] -or- [email protected]
Old 04-20-2008, 09:21 AM

This sounds great! thanx a lot!

Do you think a HD2 Accel is strong enough for my job?

Is it possible to hear a track in solomode while recording (a routing like in a livemixer)

best regards
Rolf
Old 04-20-2008, 10:51 AM

Yes, you can solo a track while still recording it. HOWEVER, this must be setup a certain way for Solo In Place---otherwise if you solo while mixing, so indeed will be your live mix. Are you using an active or passive splitter? If not, are you taking the direct outs off of your board? If so, what console are you using? Is this for a church, club, theater, etc?
Old 04-20-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Yes, you can solo a track while still recording it. HOWEVER, this must be setup a certain way for Solo In Place---otherwise if you solo while mixing, so indeed will be your live mix. Are you using an active or passive splitter? If not, are you taking the direct outs off of your board? If so, what console are you using? Is this for a church, club, theater, etc?
no Splitter, we get the tracks via MADI optical from the Localrack on stage (something like a D5 Digital Console).
it is a big live show of a famous german act. We have to record the whole tour (about 30 jobs).
We want to convert the MADI stream with the SSL MADI to HD Converter.
we don't use any console for tracking, just Protools HD with a Controller for the Stereomix.
Is there a routing workaround to solo a track while mixing?

Rolf