Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2024, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Replacement For Avid Pre's . . ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
So I am trying to follow this thread And granted I have a Carbon system and am not familiar with MTRX etc.

But I am unclear what you accomplish by inserting say a Hardware Compressor before the A/D as opposed to just inserting it as a HW insert in a mic channel inside PT ? Are you worried about clipping the converters ?
I believe he's referring to using it this way in the recording process, to avoid an unneeded step of AD/DA conversion, along with the latency it might bring, as opposed to during mixing, where that might not matter as much.
Old 01-24-2024, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priorytools View Post
I cannot believe that Avid hasn't catered for professional multi track audio recording going forward . .

There is NO replacement for their Pre units. . .
There is NOTHING that allows us to insert dynamics into a mic signal path. .

This is a sad bad & mad situation Avid . .

There are no third party manufactures making such a unit either. .

On top of that , you won't repair our stumbling Avid Pre's . .

Very, very poor Avid. . . Shame on you . .
"Pro" . . ? Tools
Just curious if there is a reason you are focused on Avid preamp products, as opposed to using any number of 3rd party pre's, which could then be routed to your compressors, and then into the line ins of your interface, thus accomplishing the same thing.
Old 01-24-2024, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I believe he's referring to using it this way in the recording process, to avoid an unneeded step of AD/DA conversion, along with the latency it might bring, as opposed to during mixing, where that might not matter as much.
Ah Ok Thanks -- I did understand it would be in the recording process as I sometimes use my HW comp (as an insert) while recording the vocal track but did not realize it might be introducing noticeable conversion latency.
Maybe I will try mic to my outboard pre to compressor to carbon line in, to see if I can notice any difference

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 01-24-2024, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Ah Ok Thanks -- I did understand it would be in the recording process as I sometimes use my HW comp (as an insert) while recording the vocal track but did not realize it might be introducing noticeable conversion latency.
Maybe I will try mic to my outboard pre to compressor to carbon line in, to see if I can notice any difference
He's looking for something like what was on the Omni (which you use to have) and also on the old Avid pre, basically a send and return that comes after the preamp, before the A/D conversion.
Old 01-24-2024, 02:15 PM

Thanks all for your input, questions and the 101 help for certain contributors.

I’m not focusing purely on Avid product.
As I said in op, there is no 3rd party midi remote control multi mic pre unit that includes insert points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 01-24-2024, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks all for your input, questions and the 101 help for certain contributors.

I’m not focusing purely on Avid product.
As I said in op, there is no 3rd party midi remote control multi mic pre unit that includes insert points.

I think I shall approach Avid and ask if they will sell me a bunch of the gain relays so we can repair our Avid Pre’s.

~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 01-24-2024, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I think I shall approach Avid and ask if they will sell me a bunch of the gain relays so we can repair our Avid Pre’s.
I have no idea what this looks like, e.g. if the whole gain stages are off the shelf units or not. Do you have the marking and part numbers on them or individual failed relays... or photos, including relay or module PCB pin layout? And how are they failing? individual relay coils going open circuit? Contacts sticking? Relay drive electronics failing? These should not be hard for a technician or hobbyist to work out what is going on/see how hard a fix would be.
Old 01-24-2024, 02:55 PM

Wow you're not kidding, I can't think of any that have inserts.

Secondhand PRE's are pretty cheap nowadays, best bet might be to buy a bunch for parts? Not a great suggestion I realize.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:56 PM

Do you mean the Avid Omni? I can understand the gripe in that situation, as the analogue insert points are the only way to add outboard processing between the built-in microphone preamps and A/D conversion. None of the new stuff has it...

In the case of the Avid PRE, it is a totally unfounded gripe I think. That device is 100% analogue. You don't actually need the insert points at all to add outboard processing between preamp and A/D conversion. Using the analogue DB25 outputs will achieve exactly the same thing...

Seems like there are a bunch of preamps with digi-pre control that will do the same thing? Grace M108? Millennia HV-316 with analog out option? etc?
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 01-24-2024, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Do you mean the Avid Omni? I can understand the gripe in that situation, as the analogue insert points are the only way to add outboard processing between the built-in microphone preamps and A/D conversion. None of the new stuff has it...

In the case of the Avid PRE, it is a totally unfounded gripe I think. That device is 100% analogue. You don't actually need the insert points at all to add outboard processing between preamp and A/D conversion. Using the analogue DB25 outputs will achieve exactly the same thing...

Seems like there are a bunch of preamps with digi-pre control that will do the same thing? Grace M108? Millennia HV-316 with analog out option? etc?

No I’m not talking about the Omni. Read the op ffs.
Yes I can patch in serial through dynamics en route to the HD IO ins, but hey, bloody palaver when recording bands etc.
Thank you for your thoughts.