Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2012, 04:20 PM

Thumbs up Re: Another unhappy customer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...n&DocType=1450

According to this you should be on OSX 10.7 or newer for Pro Tools 10.3.2 and HDx. Just a thought.
What he said.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Another unhappy customer...

Thanks CME, I kind of stopped looking for solutions a couple of months ago so didn't really bother checking again, When I do finally find a free day, I'll do the fresh install.

And StewartFang, I'd love nothing else but to move to another DAW, but then again, having used PT for the past 10 years kind of got me stuck into habits...
Old 12-18-2012, 09:23 PM

If you use P Tools for recording and use VE Pro for VI's you can work on as many ideas as you want. Nothing, other than yourself, is gonna stop that configuration from working.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartFang View Post
ABleton , Logic, Fruity Loops etc are built for the "I want to do everything all the time" approach....PT is not...and for good reason.

For songwriting , just use something else.

Actually I mainly use PT for songwriting and creating music and I think it works fine for that.
You just have to be carefull about wich plugins and virtual instruments you install and use.

I have not tried any of the other DAWs listed above, but from what I heard they can all have their problems and issues.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:03 AM

Well, definitely try to be on the right OS and all that. But I must say, the type of crash that you're talking about sounds a lot like you're running out of RAM... At least that's when I've seen it most of the time.

Good luck.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:04 PM

I'm reading this thread and just wanted to chime in. I have an HDX1, and I use it 8-10 hours a day, 5 days a week. I certainly crash once in a while, but when I say that I mean maybe once every few weeks. I don't think of this as particularly problematic.

But when the OP complains about the system not working, then says he won't put in the effort to troubleshot, then I lose my sympathy for his plight. These systems don't maintain themselves, and they are easy to mess up. I spend plenty of time tweaking and maintaining what I have. There's plenty of info here and on the net about optimal setup. I don't understand how you could expect otherwise. It's like complaining that you bought a Porsche and you're unhappy, because the car keeps stalling, yet you can't be bothered to take it into a garage.

Every 5 minutes? You really have that happen? How have you keep from throwing the thing out the window?
Old 12-28-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmostephane View Post
Thanks guys, appreciate the help. I have indeed exhausted all the troubleshooting that can be done, so at this point I'd rather spend my time dealing around crashes than days trying to fix them. Probably not the best solution in the long run, but I can't think of anything worse than spending more days and nights trying to fix the unfixable...
That is just ridiculous. The vast majority of all HD users live with extremely rare instances of stability issues. I personally can't remember the last time I had an issue and I am using a 5 year old macpro. Your issues are not likely to be protocools related and your bashing the wrong company. Had you come here when the issues started you would have them resolved then. You either have bad RAM or plugin issues.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 12-31-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmostephane View Post
Thanks CME, I kind of stopped looking for solutions a couple of months ago so didn't really bother checking again, When I do finally find a free day, I'll do the fresh install.

And StewartFang, I'd love nothing else but to move to another DAW, but then again, having used PT for the past 10 years kind of got me stuck into habits...
Buy another hard drive where you can install the OS and all the other softwares piece by piece whenever you have the time and swap the hard drives and continue working with your unstable system whenever you have to work.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpolice View Post
Buy another hard drive where you can install the OS and all the other softwares piece by piece whenever you have the time and swap the hard drives and continue working with your unstable system whenever you have to work.
Now that´s a suggestion you really can´t turn down.

I´ve been using Pro Tools for over twenty years, I also worked with Cubase, Logic and Ableton Live. Nothing comes even close to Pro Tools when it comes to stability.
I´ve had crashes and errors along the way, but in estimated 99% the problem was not the Pro Tools software, and if you maintain your system and go by the book, Pro Tools will run absolutely solid.

http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/index2.html
http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/vita.html
www.3-p.de
www.imglashaus.de
Old 12-31-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhmh View Post
Now that´s a suggestion you really can´t turn down.

I´ve been using Pro Tools for over twenty years, I also worked with Cubase, Logic and Ableton Live. Nothing comes even close to Pro Tools when it comes to stability.
I´ve had crashes and errors along the way, but in estimated 99% the problem was not the Pro Tools software, and if you maintain your system and go by the book, Pro Tools will run absolutely solid.
I'll third this. I have very few issues. I always keep up with compatibility issues, and try to plan my updates/upgrades in advance. The few issues I've had, haven't been related to PT, but something else.